PDA

View Full Version : Inspection of camera for purchase

knjkrock
22-Feb-2016, 08:09
I am headed to inspect and hopefully pick up a view camera purchased on eBay. Any specific things to pay attention to? Bellows and ground glass need looked at. There are lenses involved too.

Also are there points of etiquette that should be respected? I am newbie at this. I am not afraid to ask for help but don't want to appear helpless.

Regards

knj

brucep
22-Feb-2016, 08:18
If you have already purchased it on eBay then you aren't going to inspect and decide if you want it. You have already entered into a legal binding deal to purchase.

knjkrock
22-Feb-2016, 08:35
Seller offers fourteen day returns and eBay 's buyer protection. Have had several interactions with the seller before and after the closing of the auction. He seems intent on completion of a deal satisfying both parties. I have no reason to expect issues, but we live sufficiently close that pickup was reasonable.

Rael
22-Feb-2016, 08:53
What kind of camera? That can enter into it, since different cameras suffer from different maladies.

knjkrock
22-Feb-2016, 08:56
A big old Deardorff. I understand the bottom plate can have issues.

diversey
22-Feb-2016, 09:11
You might want to read this for old camera purchase.
http://www.clickondavid.com/images/View_Cam_Restoration.pdf

Jac@stafford.net
22-Feb-2016, 09:12
A big old Deardorff. I understand the bottom plate can have issues.

I'm afraid that does not tell us much. How big? How old? Which model? There are baseplates still available, if it used one to begin with. So much more to know.

knjkrock
22-Feb-2016, 09:18
It is an 8x10 . Recent vintage.

Jac@stafford.net
22-Feb-2016, 09:33
It is an 8x10 . Recent vintage.

There is always the caution regarding bellows pinholes, but with the later Deardorff they are rare and easy to patch. Check it out anyway. The base is durable if the plate is intact. Most plates look bad, but they are sturdy regardless. Learn how to unfold and fold it away right away. Enjoy!

Jim Noel
22-Feb-2016, 09:41
Test every movement.
Rack it out to full length of rails to check the bellows length and light tightness. If it wil not go to the full length of the rails, the bellows has been replaced with an inadequate one.
unlock and re-lock every movement. Does it lock down securely w/o tightening as if you are Hercules.
Does it fold up with the bellows folding fully in on itself as it should.
Does the auxiliary rise/fall operate smoothly.
Mine was made prior to 1939 and therefore has no base plate. I don't like the base plate because of the added weight.
Check the base for cracks between the four triangle shaped pieces.
That's al I can think of at the moment. When I had the store we checked these cameras very carefully as we did all used equipment.

B.S.Kumar
22-Feb-2016, 17:11
If you are new to view cameras, I suggest you ask the seller to show that all the movements are working properly, rather than handling the camera yourself.
You break it, you buy it...

Kumar

goamules
22-Feb-2016, 18:14
Seller offers fourteen day returns and eBay 's buyer protection. Have had several interactions with the seller before and after the closing of the auction. He seems intent on completion of a deal satisfying both parties. I have no reason to expect issues, but we live sufficiently close that pickup was reasonable.

What is the auction number? You can only confirm that what he said was working or present is true. You cannot go into an extensive, 21 point inspection now to re-negotiate or re-decide on the deal. Based on your discussions with him, and his ad, you bought it. Now, if something small or unnoticed comes up, you have to ignore it and fix it at your own expense. That's the ethics of the matter. Most sellers offer a money back guarantee if the item is not as represented. How did he represent it? Is it auction number 322003023587? In that one he says it's "mint" so you can look fairly closely for any problems (other than handling marks, scratches). But if it's another, you just can look at confirming how it was described.

Michael E
23-Feb-2016, 07:36
If lenses in shutters are involved, fire each shutter a few times. If the long exposure times (1 s) are not running smooth and reasonably correct (you can just count 1 s), you have further expenses coming - no matter how mint the lenses look.