PDA

View Full Version : 12" Commercial Ektar and other Barrel Lenses

therbert
20-Feb-2016, 17:11
Ladies and Gentlemen, this is my first post to the forum, so please bear with me...

Back in the late 1980's I was heavily into photography, and being me, I was always looking for something bigger, with youth and inexperience not have learned yet that bigger doesn't always mean better. So I started with 35mm, and then a friend gave me (!) a Bronica ETR. I saw those negatives and chromes, and how much bigger and brighter they were, and got what I thought were some pretty good results, so I figured that if they were better, then a 4x5 camera had to be even better, so I borrowed a Crown Graphic from the father of a friend, enjoyed using that for a while. Etc, etc, etc.

Then, in the 90's I fell into the digital age, and thought, "I can take so many more pictures, I'll just keep getting better!" Well, as you might imagine, just the opposite happened. I just kept trying, but somehow, what I saw through the viewfinder of the camera just never seemed to show up in the image, and after a while I got discouraged, and stopped taking pictures almost altogether, except as documentation for some project or another. I've recently decided that I really want to go back to taking pictures, and I'm going to go back to film, and I want to do it with a view camera. A few years ago, I bought a Shen Hao 4x5 camera, with a Rodenstock Geronar lens in a Copal #0 shutter, but never got around to using it. I have an Ansco 5x7 camera with both 4x5 and 5x7 backs, a Century 8x10 with both 5x7 and 8x10 backs, and an 11x14 camera with no back. A friend of mine built me a back for it, but although usable, it's made from plywood, and in the intervening years I've done a lot of woodworking, and plan to make a better back for it that will be a better match to the camera. I've been reading posts on the forum for about a week, and the thought of using x-ray film in the 11x14 camera intrigues me, although I'll have to do a lot more research before I start that. Which brings me to the part of the post that actually has something to do with lenses.

I used to buy a lot of stuff from Brooklyn Camera back then, and acquired some lenses in barrels because I could afford them. I have sitting on the desk in front of me a 12" Commercial Ektar, which I thought might make a nice lens for the 8x10 camera (but I haven't yet done any research, so I don't know if it will cover), a 500mm Krauss Tessar in a brass barrel, which from my research seems to cover 11x14 quite easily, and a 360mm f4.5 Astragon, which when I got it was new in the box. I thought I might use the 12" CE with an NOS Packard shutter that I also have in a box somewhere, given appropriate film. I also have an Alphax shutter with flange, but no lens mounted in it. I have no information about the 360mm Astragon at all.

I realize that this is a rather broad topic, but I thought I would solicit suggestions and comments about the lenses and the possible uses I have listed. Or, if you think I should just slink back into my hole, you can tell me that, too. But do it gently, please... ;-)

Jim Graves
20-Feb-2016, 19:11
Your post sounds more like a solicitation for offers on your equipment than a request for direction ... if it's not, just take the 4x5 out and shoot about 50 B&W negatives and develop and print them.

That will tell you pretty much what you need to know ...Is this process for me? What do I enjoy shooting? Where would I like to go from here? Until you do that, nobody can really give you useful direction.

On an unrelated topic ... Katy, Texas ... You're dead center in the heart of horse country.

therbert
20-Feb-2016, 19:34
Your post sounds more like a solicitation for offers on your equipment than a request for direction ... if it's not, just take the 4x5 out and shoot about 50 B&W negatives and develop and print them.

That will tell you pretty much what you need to know ...Is this process for me? What do I enjoy shooting? Where would I like to go from here? Until you do that, nobody can really give you useful direction.

On an unrelated topic ... Katy, Texas ... You're dead center in the heart of horse country.

That certainly was not my intent, and it that was what I conveyed, I apologize.

Basically, it was a request for information from those with far more experience than I:

First, does using the 12" CE in conjunction with the Packard shutter for the 8x10 camera sound like a workable idea, or should I consider mounting the lens in a shutter?

Second, is it practical to use the 500mm Tessar in conjunction with x-ray film with a hat (on the 11x14 camera), or do I need to figure out some kind of shutter mechanism?

Third, does anyone have any experience with the 360mm Astragon? I assume it was designed as a process camera lens, so how does it work as a photographic lens, and what will it cover?

On your unrelated comment, most of the big horse farms are north and east of here, closer to Dallas and Longview.

Best regards,

Therbert

Dan Fromm
20-Feb-2016, 20:18
Are you sure the Astragon is 360/4.5?

Don Dudenbostel
20-Feb-2016, 20:35
The CE fits direct in the Kodak version Ilex 4 shutter. I understand that Kodak had slightly different specs from the regular Ilex 4 so they're not interchangable. If I'm incorrect I hope someone will correct me. A year I just sold a minty 12" CE in a shutter and a really nice Kodak Ilex 4 that you could have mounted your lens in.

The 12"CE covers 8x10 with adequate movements for most work and they're excellent Tessar type lenses.

The Packard should work but you're limited on Shuttet speed and accuracy. I've not used a Packard in 45 years so I'm not an expert.

You might consider a shutter that would for on the front or back of the lens using a custom adapter. I know most machine shops could fabricate one or SK Grimes.

Taija71A
20-Feb-2016, 20:57
Yes, the above cited Astragon 360mm Barrel Lens... Probably is f/4.5 Maximum Aperture.
Thank-you. Regards, -Tim.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=ja&u=http://www.m-camera.com/lenzu/big_lenzu/om-954.html&usg=ALkJrhjoINZtjvw8hT_h433rXHcIFSzKoA

therbert
20-Feb-2016, 21:16

therbert
20-Feb-2016, 21:18
Yes, the above cited Astragon 360mm Barrel Lens... Probably is f/4.5 Maximum Aperture.
Thank-you. Regards, -Tim.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=ja&u=http://www.m-camera.com/lenzu/big_lenzu/om-954.html&usg=ALkJrhjoINZtjvw8hT_h433rXHcIFSzKoA

That's it, same box, too.

Taija71A
20-Feb-2016, 21:23
That's it, same box, too.

;)

Jim Graves
20-Feb-2016, 21:27
You don't indicate what type of 11x14 camera you have ... or whether you want to do field work or studio shooting.

As for the Krauss 500 mm for 11x14 ... you can certainly shoot it with a hat for a shutter with the right light/aperture conditions ... or with the "Galli" shutter (search YouTube for that one ... the poster was Eddie Gunks.)

But the Krauss 500 mm tessar, while it certainly covers 11x14, it is a monstrously heavy lens weighing in at 7+ pounds with a 5 7/8" flange so it really requires a studio camera with a studio stand to shoot it.

If that is what you have ... and that is how you want to shoot it ... it is a great lens for 11x14.