PDA

View Full Version : What to put in my Copal 1 Shutter?

Darin Cozine
17-Mar-2005, 08:30
I have a really nice Copal #1 shutter that I picked up for a bargain. I had originally planned to put a 210 or 240mm g-claron in it. However, the prices have skyrocketed since I first priced them. Are there any other lenses in the same caliper that I can mount in the #1 shutter?

Darin

Edward (Halifax,NS)
17-Mar-2005, 08:38
There were some good deals on lenses in DB mounts a little while ago. I picked up a 210mm Sinaron S for $162. Other lenses that would fit are 210mm f/6.8 Geronar or Congo.

J. P. Mose
17-Mar-2005, 08:41
Darin...there have bin a lot of Sinar DB mount lenses on Ebay lately and some at very attractive prices. Definately do a search under, Sinar, Sironar, Symmar, Super Angluon, Grandagon, etc.

sanking
17-Mar-2005, 11:41
Darin,

I tried to send you a PM but it bounced.

I have a mint condition Schneider Geronar, multi coated, that will fit perfectly in your Copal #1. I actually bought the lens in a Copal #1 shutter for the shutter itself to use with a 210mm Computar for its very wide angle coverage. I just removed the Geronar cells and put them away so they are available for a very reasonable price.

If intereseted contact me by PM at sanking@clemson.edu

sanking
17-Mar-2005, 11:44
Or is that a Rodenstock Geonar? Sorry, but I don't have the lens in front of me and am not sure about the maker.

Edward (Halifax,NS)
17-Mar-2005, 11:45
Hi Sandy, it is Rodenstock.

Dan Fromm
17-Mar-2005, 11:47
Hmm. I have a set of 210/6.3 Prinz cells lying around. They came to me in a Copal #1.

This lens was made by Yamasaki Optical -- I asked them, they recognized it as one of theirs, copy of their e-mail on request -- and is a rebadged Commerical Congo. It is a tessar type Commercial Ektar clone.

The front cell's surface is pretty ugly -- many very fine scratches and the coating looks awful -- but on a 2x3 Graphic it shoots very well. The other surfaces are fine, the cemented doublet at the rear isn't separated, and there's no dust or haze inside the front cell.

Yamasaki's QC is supposed to be spotty. Given how mine has shot for me, I think its a good 'un. And everyone knows that f/6.3 tessars are the best tessars.

If you want to play, $20 post-paid.

Cheers,

Dan

Ronald Müller
17-Mar-2005, 12:13
Search for a good g-claron on ebay germany (wordwide search) - a few american dealers buys clarons in germany and after mounting the lens in a low priced copal-polaroid-shutter they sell the combination for hundreds of dollars. Don´t take a geronar (Rodenstock budget lens), the g-claron is the better choice.

Greetings from germany, Ronald.

Tony Karnezis
17-Mar-2005, 18:39
What format do you shoot? I have a 210 Kowa/Computar that fits in a Copal 1. It's coated and covers 8x10 with plenty of room for landscape-oriented movements.

Michael Kadillak
17-Mar-2005, 21:12
Excellent suggestion Tony. My 210 Kowa is sweet in a Copal #1 and is as light as a feather. Favorite 8x10 wide angle for me. I had to have an expander adapter made for it to take a 52mm screw in filter.

No question - if you shoot 8x10, this one is a no brainer.

Cheers!