PDA

View Full Version : Dassonville D-1 Paper Dev.

ShannonG
20-Feb-2016, 10:12
From The Darkroom Cook Book,this formula intrigues me so imma try it.Does anyone have experiences with this one and/or know what the characteristics of the prints my be like?
Formulla #48
Dassonville D-1
Charcoal Black
-h2o,500ml
-metol,3.0 g
-sodium sulfate,43 g
-hydroquinone,11 g
-sodium carbonate,monohydrate,35 g
-Potassium Bromide,2.0 g
-h20 to make 1.0 l

Thanks for anny help

pdh
20-Feb-2016, 10:43
Are you sure that formula is correctly transcribed?
I'd be extremely surprised if it should not read Sodium sulfite rather than Sodium sulfate.

Michael R
20-Feb-2016, 11:09
It's sulfite (not sulfate).

Dassonville D-1 is essentially a D-72 type developer but with less carbonate, meaning it will be slightly less alkaline and less buffered. Its characteristics will depend on the paper, but with most current papers results should be virtually the same as any other general purpose MQ/PQ formula, although development time and capacity might be different.

Most of these formulas date from times when papers were much different, and therefore differences in developer formulation had more pronounced effects on image colour and contrast. Print developer formula variations were a more important control in the process than they are now.

All that said, the best thing to do is try it and see. Everyone will interpret results differently based on objective and subjective variables.

IanG
20-Feb-2016, 11:14
It's wrong it's should be Sulphite, it's a fairly standard print developer.

Ian

ShannonG
20-Feb-2016, 11:37
Yup your right its Sufite,,not Sulfate,,,sorry i typed it in wrong
Are you sure that formula is correctly transcribed?
I'd be extremely surprised if it should not read Sodium sulfite rather than Sodium sulfate.

ShannonG
20-Feb-2016, 11:40
Thanks for the info.im gonna try it out with some retro paper from my stash as well as some newer papers. Thanks again.

Taija71A
20-Feb-2016, 13:19
As per Michael and Ian's comments...

Think D72/Dektol with a touch less Hydroquinone and a lot less Accelerator (Alkali)... And you would be on the right track.
It is an older 'Bog-standard' MQ Paper Developer. Today, the most intriguing thing about it... Is perhaps its 'Name'.

Have Fun!