PDA

View Full Version : #%$&%$# stuck step-up ring

Jim Rice
16-Mar-2005, 19:03
Yes, I'm going to wally world tomorrow to secure two cap-snafflers, but is there any way to prevent the virtual welding of a cheap aluminum step up ring to my B+H top pola?

Donald Hutton
16-Mar-2005, 19:33
B+W step-up rings are made from brass. They cost double, but seldom bind like the cheap editions do. Also, get one of those pieces of rubber they sell as "jar wrenches" - they are pretty good for jammed filters ot rings.

Enrico
16-Mar-2005, 20:13
Dont hold the ring from the outer edge - you'll never get it off.
Put your fingers on the inner edge and push out whilst you turn it...

Lars Åke Vinberg
16-Mar-2005, 23:48
Aluminum expands with heat - try to hold the stepring against your hand or a warm object for a minute and then try again. This sometimes helps.

Graeme Hird
17-Mar-2005, 00:20
Rub a little oil from your skin (from your forehead, for example) onto the thread before you put the ring on the lens. Periodically take the ring off and replenish said oil.

It works for me, anyway.

Cheers,

Keith S. Walklet
17-Mar-2005, 02:03
I watch my wife remove these rings with relative ease. She showed me her trick. By placing the rings flat between the meat of your hands and applying pressure while twisting in opposite directions, they come undone. For some reason, it doesn't work when holding them by the edge, though if you insist on trying, placing a rubber band around the edge of the ring sometimes gives one a better grip.

Bulent Ozgoren
17-Mar-2005, 02:20
I have fitted all my lenses with a X to 77 mm Heliopan step-up rings. The step-up rings stay attached to the lenses all the time. Every lens is fitted with a Heliopan lens cap. Hence all my filters are 77 mm. This saves time in changing filters and never have to worry about loosing lens caps. I am very please with this setup.

Sharon S.
17-Mar-2005, 18:55
You can get a reasonably good grip on both filters if you use household latex gloves...also good for opening jars.

David Van Gosen
18-Mar-2005, 07:00
Try a light coat of paste wax on the threads before putting them back together.