PDA

View Full Version : Diy flashbulb gun

RodinalDuchamp
13-Feb-2016, 10:21
Ok. So I've come to the conclusion that I may need to custom build a flash gun for my application.

I don't need to have a sync circuit. I just need to be able to fire multiple bulbs at once.

How difficult would something like this be to build? Are the sockets the same as ordinary household bulb sockets?

Has anyone undertaken a project like this? Does anyone know where I may be able to purchase a premade version?

Tin Can
13-Feb-2016, 10:49
Easy to make. If you use the bigger flash bulbs like #50 which have E27 screw base the same as USA standard light bulb sockets.

But if you use #50 bulbs you may need only one.

Start googling info is out there.

I have also seen that tri-head on eBay.

Tin Can
13-Feb-2016, 10:52
Just buy #50's and the big cheap reflector work light at Home Depot. Done.

RodinalDuchamp
13-Feb-2016, 10:53
But how would I set it off? I guess any flashlight circuit might work? Right.

RodinalDuchamp
13-Feb-2016, 10:54
#50 bulbs look scarce on the auction sitez

Jac@stafford.net
13-Feb-2016, 10:59
Triple head flash units are not very uncommon.
I have a few of these:

...and two of these, which are uncommon because I made them from separate units.
They do not use batteries. Instead they are powered by a magneto (the base of the unit.)

Going for option one above is probably best.

NOTE! The image of the spelunker shows the first item above, but he has it loaded with the amazing long-duration (1.7 second) flashbulbs that put out a ton of light!

RodinalDuchamp
13-Feb-2016, 11:01
Would you sell me one?

RodinalDuchamp
13-Feb-2016, 11:10
I found this. It says as is and it says home made... What could go wrong

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=351480502314&alt=web

Jac@stafford.net
13-Feb-2016, 11:55

First, there is no assurance that the flashlight part connects electrically to the 3-head adapter. And it is way over-priced unless we are into bad Steampunk.

A DIY - just giving it a shot for now:

0. E12 Male to E27 Female Base LED Light Lamp Bulb Holder Adapter Converter (this replaces the flashlight bulb)

then Leviton light sockets from Home Depot and many other places.
One of these:

1. http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/fe/fec53c4e-b7c3-4c94-a8e3-626872bed67f_400.jpg

plus two of these

2. http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/f8/f8589964-3992-4094-ac4b-e4b5fd16fd17_400.jpg

Three inexpensive disposable pie plates, super glue and a few popsicle sticks and a flashlight base

As to my own stock, I will check the supplies next week. I need to keep three. Whatever is left I can sell.

RodinalDuchamp
13-Feb-2016, 11:58
That's actually a very good place to start. Would it have to be a 3 D battery flashlight necesarily or would a AA battery flashlight work too?

Tin Can
13-Feb-2016, 12:32

Look at the picture. The left Bakelite socket is broken.

I just found 10 #50 on eBay they are always at least $6 each. Output 100,000 lumens which is slightly more than 6 Buff Einstein studio stones at full blast. Do not shoot people with this stuff. They will not like it and it can hurt them.

Tell us what you are planning. I doubt I will steal your idea. No promises though. :)

RodinalDuchamp
13-Feb-2016, 12:34
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160213/0b82822a4756188ecdb250efc2bbb2d8.jpg

This is the shot spurring my needs. I just purchased a graflex flash handle. Now no need to know if a 50 bulb fits.

Tin Can
13-Feb-2016, 12:36
What is that? How big?

A #50 does fit the handle you just bought.

Jac@stafford.net
13-Feb-2016, 12:36
That's actually a very good place to start. Would it have to be a 3 D battery flashlight necesarily or would a AA battery flashlight work too?

Flashbulbs generally need only 3 volts to fire, but AA size will not last long. Two D cells will work. I prefer three.

BTW - you do not need a #50 bulb to shoot that air-boat. I am not near my spec chart at the moment, but perhaps Randy Moe can help us.

RodinalDuchamp
13-Feb-2016, 12:37
They are airboats. I can use my speedlight to light the foreground boat but the background is all water and about 50ft away so I need something that will throw light back there hopefully f11

Tin Can
13-Feb-2016, 12:41
I found this on eBay. Had to have it.

For Open Bulb flash. 12" diameter, 2 C cells, test light and works perfectly.

That is a rare flash bulb a member here gave me. i will never use it.

It would work well, but you can make one. Not for sale at any price.

RodinalDuchamp
13-Feb-2016, 12:42
You guys have all the cool tools

Tin Can
13-Feb-2016, 12:43
They are airboats. I can use my speedlight to light the foreground boat but the background is all water and about 50ft away so I need something that will throw light back there hopefully f11

Look up photographing trains at night and cavers both which use big flash bulbs all the time.

Ask everyone you know for flashbulbs soon you will have many.

Good project!

RodinalDuchamp
13-Feb-2016, 12:43
I got one of these

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160213/d3cd2bff500a7f60f2087f728a22e293.jpg

RodinalDuchamp
13-Feb-2016, 12:44
Look up photographing trains at night and cavers both which use big flash bulbs all the time.

Ask everyone you know for flashbulbs soon you will have many.

Good project!
I'm a HUGE OWL fan

Tin Can
13-Feb-2016, 12:45

No we don't, and if you keep hanging out here, you too will soon have too much stuff....

Tin Can
13-Feb-2016, 12:45
Now you need to learn more. Looks fine.

RodinalDuchamp
13-Feb-2016, 12:47
My exposures are quite long and during that time the boats rock. I want to eliminate the ghosting.

Tin Can
13-Feb-2016, 12:52
My exposures are quite long and during that time the boats rock. I want to eliminate the ghosting.

Then flash bulbs may not be the right thing, as Jac pointed out they have long burn time.

Electronic strobes will stop any motion at up to 1/10,000 sec.

You can rent them.

Where are you?

RodinalDuchamp
13-Feb-2016, 12:58
I am sure you are absolutely correct. But I am still a hobbyist and at some point I have to work within my budget. I believe 1 larger flashbulb would be cheaper than several rented strobes and portability is a consideration as well.

Tin Can
13-Feb-2016, 13:02
I am sure you are absolutely correct. But I am still a hobbyist and at some point I have to work within my budget. I believe 1 larger flashbulb would be cheaper than several rented strobes and portability is a consideration as well.

Nothing is as portable as flashbulbs, that's why cavers use them.

I guess you are on a ocean port, which almost never loses wave movement. But patience is the LF motto.

Good luck!

Jac@stafford.net
13-Feb-2016, 13:31

The reflector part on your flash removes to reveal the standard Edison/Mazda base bulb. A big bare bulb might be the ticket. And for shooting at faster speeds, there is the bulb I mentioned below that burns for 1.7 seconds. You can shoot at 1/500th with a delay of 1/2 of a second. A brilliant flash for almost two seconds! (Well, technically 2.5 seconds but the tail is dim.) Mind boggling! The equivalent is Meggaflash PF330 (http://www.meggaflash.com/images/pf/pf330/PF330.png).

Meggaflash also makes the big PF300, about the equivalent of six #5 bulbs.

With slaves or long AC cords you could trigger a few separated smaller units (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111898966894?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82) at once to distribute the light nicely. That's what the 'remote' plugs on the side of your flash are for.

Oh, and if you have a flash meter that takes a synch cord, you can meter flash bulbs. I posted info about that quite some time ago.

RodinalDuchamp
13-Feb-2016, 14:23
I picked up a few no 5 bulbs and 6 no 50a bulbs. I will test with the 5's and if the flash gun works I'll have to fabricate a reflector probably from the aformentioned pie pan for the 50a bulbs.

Jac@stafford.net
13-Feb-2016, 14:25

That is because we are old enough that much of the 'obsolete' stuff we still have was current technology when we were your age.

HEY, what current digital photo goods will be considered useful cool stuff fifty years from today?

RodinalDuchamp
13-Feb-2016, 14:27
That is because we are old enough that much of the 'obsolete' stuff we still have was current technology when we were your age.

HEY, what current digital photo goods will be considered useful cool stuff fifty years from today?
I feel like this is a trick question.

I am 30 so not that young. Not that old either I guess. I've been shooting LF for about a year now but it's much more than a hobby at this point.

Tin Can
13-Feb-2016, 14:41
I picked up a few no 5 bulbs and 6 no 50a bulbs. I will test with the 5's and if the flash gun works I'll have to fabricate a reflector probably from the aformentioned pie pan for the 50a bulbs.

Keep us posted.

I got 2 cases of #50 from a guy who did a google search for flashbulb chatter. He wasn't a photographer, not a member here, never heard of me, but was looking to give them away as he didn't want to sell or throw them out.

He joined here and sent me a PM. I bet he doesn't check in here again. Just a nice young guy who found several cases of 50's in his basement.

Most of our posts are read by many who never join or post here. That's not the only time a stranger has found me here and donated.

But never beg, as Internet beggars are often frowned upon. ymmv :)

Jac@stafford.net
13-Feb-2016, 14:50
I am 30 so not that young. Not that old either I guess.

I have been thirty twice, plus ten years. :)

RodinalDuchamp
14-Feb-2016, 07:47
I have been thirty twice, plus ten years. :)
I hope I'm as lucky

Jac@stafford.net
14-Feb-2016, 08:25
I hope I'm as lucky

I was just looking at a photo of me at three years-old. I had white hair that later turned blonde. Now at seventy my hair is turning white again. So, I have another seventy years ahead? "I might be stupid but I ain't blonde!"

RodinalDuchamp
18-Feb-2016, 18:47
Ok I'm stumped I received my flash handle and was under the impression that once I removed the 5 inch reflector I would be able to screw in an Edison style bulb.

This is not the case am I missing something? http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160219/379189b6f314abb16d5df239f7f85be8.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160219/0ee8f60bba8020b86e489468e50ed082.jpg

Tin Can
18-Feb-2016, 19:40
Yes. Don't buy so fast.

When I get home I can photograph the problem.

RodinalDuchamp
18-Feb-2016, 20:12
Thank you

Tin Can
18-Feb-2016, 22:16
I don't know if your gear is complete. Looks like the handle is missing the insert at the top.

But if you want to fire #50's your setup is not good and may not do it as is.

Look at my hen house reflector, a #50 screws right in as does any standard Edison base bulb.

Notice my shiny chrome handle is different than yours. It can take Edison bulb right in the top. It's not threaded but has a spring that acts like a thread and the Edison base is just shoved in or screwed in if we are dainty.

Everything on the table interchanges to a point. The chrome handle can take a slide in reflector, which is great IF you want to direct the flash in one direction.

Let me know if you need more info.

Look at pic 1 carefully, inside the left part there is a shiny line, that is the bulb retention spring yours is missing.

Jac@stafford.net
18-Feb-2016, 22:35
Randy Moe is right. The insert for the Edison base is missing. I can look at my scraps tomorrow.

RodinalDuchamp
19-Feb-2016, 06:18
I do see the difference. Slightly disappointing.

I will have to locate one eventually.

In the meantime do you believe a bayonet to E26 adapter would at least get me functional?

I am in a bit of a pickle as I'm running into a deadline for some pictures I need to produce, which were the reason I got into these flashbulbs in the first place.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160219/00b773809a8715b644429718200e587b.jpg

Tin Can
19-Feb-2016, 10:39
No your handle is missing a crucial part. Return that garbage. Where are you?

Somebody near you has a working handle. The right reflector is crucial.

Heck anybody in CONUS can ship one 2 day for peanuts.

Since you want directional flash. Buy the big reflector like in my pics for $10 at any hardware store and a 6 volt lantern battery. The big one with screw posts. Wire it up. 10 minutes to make with pocket knife and tape.

I do see the difference. Slightly disappointing.

I will have to locate one eventually.

In the meantime do you believe a bayonet to E26 adapter would at least get me functional?

I am in a bit of a pickle as I'm running into a deadline for some pictures I need to produce, which were the reason I got into these flashbulbs in the first place.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160219/00b773809a8715b644429718200e587b.jpg

RodinalDuchamp
19-Feb-2016, 11:24
No your handle is missing a crucial part. Return that garbage. Where are you?

Somebody near you has a working handle. The right reflector is crucial.

Heck anybody in CONUS can ship one 2 day for peanuts.

Since you want directional flash. Buy the big reflector like in my pics for $10 at any hardware store and a 6 volt lantern battery. The big one with screw posts. Wire it up. 10 minutes to make with pocket knife and tape.
I am going to take your advice. Luckily the seller agreed to take it back.

I have a work light reflector in my shed I can use.

Since this is basically fill for landscapes I really don't need sync. At least for the sake of producing this current work I'm extremely glad to have your help.

RodinalDuchamp
19-Feb-2016, 20:04
I made this and it worked. HD has a very nice 10" reflector but it doesn't have an on off switch so I wired a momentary push switch and it worked

Thanks!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160220/a7e48f8a351eeee852bf920fe1f0da0c.jpg

Tin Can
19-Feb-2016, 22:33
Glad to help.

Now the fun really starts!

RodinalDuchamp
20-Feb-2016, 05:37
I processed a sheet last night from my test. You guys were not kidding this bulb puts out a TON of beautiful light. The quality of the light is much different than an electronic strobe. It may just be the large reflector but I think the bulb itself has interesting characteristics

Tin Can
20-Feb-2016, 08:06
I hope to see your images!

Jac@stafford.net
20-Feb-2016, 09:26
It just occurred to me that you did the right thing by improvising a flash because we don't know what kind of flash unit you have/had. It looked like a generic Graflex type, but if it were a Busch B-C synchronizer then there would be disappointment because it is very different: The Bush B-C has a capacitor inside the tube, and uses an Ever-ready 22.5V #412 to fire the bulb, and/or to trip an optional solenoid located on the lens board. (In addition, and as an option the tube takes two additional penlight batteries that only serve to illuminate an optional Kalart Focuspot.) Too complex, IMHO!

Randy Moe has probably run into the strange Busch flashbulb unit. In some uses it requires a Busch 'short circuit' plug that goes into the Edison/Mazda plug, but can also use some early household fuses or even a household light bulb instead.

Good luck to you! Yep bulbs have a lot of soft light, and if you shoot indoors without a reflector the light bounces all over the place making the light even softer.

Randy - I'm in a fix. I have to connect a shutter to a two-pin cord, but the shutter's pins are each screwed onto tiny posts. One of the pins is missing and never in my life have I seen another. :(

Tin Can
20-Feb-2016, 09:46
Randy - I'm in a fix. I have to connect a shutter to a two-pin cord, but the shutter's pins are each screwed onto tiny posts. One of the pins is missing and never in my life have I seen another. :(

Jac, i have not had the pleasure of your shutter pin problem. What about using a tiny bolt? I cannot visualize your problem. Pictures always help, but I know you can DIY with the best of us. :)

Bob Salomon
20-Feb-2016, 09:51
It just occurred to me that you did the right thing by improvising a flash because we don't know what kind of flash unit you have/had. It looked like a generic Graflex type, but if it were a Busch B-C synchronizer then there would be disappointment because it is very different: The Bush B-C has a capacitor inside the tube, and uses an Ever-ready 22.5V #412 to fire the bulb, and/or to trip an optional solenoid located on the lens board. (In addition, and as an option the tube takes two additional penlight batteries that only serve to illuminate an optional Kalart Focuspot.) Too complex, IMHO!

Randy Moe has probably run into the strange Busch flashbulb unit. In some uses it requires a Busch 'short circuit' plug that goes into the Edison/Mazda plug, but can also use some early household fuses or even a household light bulb instead.

Good luck to you! Yep bulbs have a lot of soft light, and if you shoot indoors without a reflector the light bounces all over the place making the light even softer.

Contact a shaver repairman. The bipost connector is basically the same as older electric shaver cord contacts. Also the same as electronic cheater cords for older tv and other devices.

Jac@stafford.net
20-Feb-2016, 09:56
Contact a shaver repairman. The bipost connector is basically the same as older electric shaver cord contacts. Also the same as electronic cheater cords for older tv and other devices.

Great info, Bob! I probably have some of that stuff in storage!

Randy: "Jac, i have not had the pleasure of your shutter pin problem. What about using a tiny bolt? I cannot visualize your problem. Pictures always help" [...]

I can do that, but first I have to run downtown to pick up a tool they backordered for me. Later!

Jac@stafford.net
20-Feb-2016, 12:47
Okay, here is one very poor picture of the shutter's bi-post flash connector. Yeah, the picture sucks but we don't have a decent digital camera. You can see how the post screws onto a base. I just tried to unscrew one from another shutter; it was not screwed on. Oh well. Time to dive into the junk drawer.

Tin Can
20-Feb-2016, 13:21

Good tip! Pun not intended. I tried some newer cords but no go. Older makes sense.

Tin Can
20-Feb-2016, 13:23
Solder? Or little clip. Show us what you do. Your image is fine.

Okay, here is one very poor picture of the shutter's bi-post flash connector. Yeah, the picture sucks but we don't have a decent digital camera. You can see how the post screws onto a base. I just tried to unscrew one from another shutter; it was not screwed on. Oh well. Time to dive into the junk drawer.