PDA

View Full Version : Call For Entries- Rendering the Spirit: The Personal Image in Alternative Media

Scott Davis
8-Feb-2016, 09:50
A juried exhibition featuring photographs created using an historic or alternative process

Render (v): to distill, to cook down to its essence, to translate, to represent.
Rendering: an act of bringing into being, of distillation, of translation, of representation.

By pointing our gaze at works created using “alternative” processes, we aim to show the diversity of work being created at this nexus of the 19th and 21st centuries and engage in a dialog about what it means to create work using anachronistic techniques.

Jurors: Scott Davis and Mac Cosgrove-Davies, Photoworks Faculty

Opening Reception: March 26, 2016

A. DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: Submit up to 5 images by Feb 21 at 11:59PM

B. WORK ELIGIBLE FOR SUBMISSION:
1. Works to be considered must be made using an alternative and/or historic photographic process.
2. Alternative/Historic Processes include (but are not limited to): lumen prints, tintypes/ambrotypes/melainotypes, daguerreotypes, gum bichromate, platinum/palladium, kallitypes, Van Dyke Brown, cyanotypes, carbon prints, calotypes, salt prints, albumen prints, bromoil, gumoil, or some combination of the above processes.
3. Silver Gelatin prints enlarged on commercially prepared papers are not accepted.
4. Original capture of the image can be from in-camera negatives or digital capture or some combination thereof, but the final image must be a physical object made using one or more of the historical processes.

C. SUBMISSION FEE:
$40 Submission Fee for up to 5 images. Please use PayPal button on the Photoworks Call For Entries page for payment, or mail submission fee in check form (made payable to Photoworks) to
Photoworks
7300 MacArthur Boulevard
Glen Echo, MD 20812

D. HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR IMAGES:
1. Each artist may submit up to five (5) images.
2. Please send .jpeg images at 72dpi, 1000 pixels on the long axis to photoworks.gallery@gmail.com
3. Please name each jpeg image as follows: ArtistName_number.jpeg (i.e. JohnBrown_1.jpeg)
4. Please include a brief artist statement & bio – see below.
5. Please include a brief explanation of the work(s) – see below.
6. All work must be emailed/submitted before FEBRUARY 21 at 11:59PM.
7. Selected artists will be notified by March 1, 2016.

For more information and to submit your entry, click on the link below.

Rendering The Spirit: The Personal Image In Alternative Media (http://glenechophotoworks.org/2016/02/03/call-for-entries-rendering-the-spirit-the-personal-image-in-alternative-media/)

bob carnie
8-Feb-2016, 10:16
Hi Scott

this looks very interesting.

Bob

Scott Davis
8-Feb-2016, 10:32
Bob- We're trying to build a serious, visible presence in the alt process community, and this exhibit is the first step. Some of the proceeds from the entry fees will go to support improvements to our alt process darkroom facilities so we can enable multiple students to make UV-based exposures at the same time, safely, or for guest artists/darkroom rental folks to make large alt process prints (we have sink space for people to print silver-gelatin as big as 20x24 now, so giving people that kind of option for cyanotype/salt/albumen/pt/pd etc would be feasible and very welcome). We have a really nice gallery space at Photoworks and openings draw a very active, engaged crowd.

bob carnie
8-Feb-2016, 10:42
I am working on 5 pieces right now of my solarization, If I get them done by the 21st and scanned I will send them for consideration. tricolour over palladium

Bob- We're trying to build a serious, visible presence in the alt process community, and this exhibit is the first step. Some of the proceeds from the entry fees will go to support improvements to our alt process darkroom facilities so we can enable multiple students to make UV-based exposures at the same time, safely, or for guest artists/darkroom rental folks to make large alt process prints (we have sink space for people to print silver-gelatin as big as 20x24 now, so giving people that kind of option for cyanotype/salt/albumen/pt/pd etc would be feasible and very welcome). We have a really nice gallery space at Photoworks and openings draw a very active, engaged crowd.

Willie
8-Feb-2016, 15:04
3. Silver Gelatin prints enlarged on commercially prepared papers are not accepted.

How about silver gelatin prints contact printed on Azo/Lodima or similar contact printing papers?

Scott Davis
8-Feb-2016, 15:18

How about silver gelatin prints contact printed on Azo/Lodima or similar contact printing papers?

If it's hand-coated paper, it's good. If you bought the paper already made, no. We're looking for historic processes and images that are hand-crafted; "Personal Images" as the title of the call implies. We're looking for work that references and plays off the pioneering spirit of the early days of photographic discovery. Pre-industrial photography, as it were.

Bill L.
8-Feb-2016, 18:48
Hi Scott,

Will you take tintypes done on trophy aluminum?

Thanks!
Bill

Scott Davis
8-Feb-2016, 20:06
Bill- absolutely! The only things I'm actively excluding are inkjet prints and silver gelatin prints made with commercially produced papers. Ambrotypes, alumitypes, daguerreotypes, tintypes, heck, Woodburytypes if anyone wanted to submit them would be welcome.

hendrik faure
10-Feb-2016, 03:51
Scott, this should be supported. Copperplate photogravure accepted?

Scott Davis
10-Feb-2016, 08:52
Scott, this should be supported. Copperplate photogravure accepted?

Absolutely! I'd love to see copperplate gravures on the wall.

Scott Davis
15-Feb-2016, 11:49
Just a reminder - the submission deadline is six days away - February 21 at midnight, Eastern time. I'm looking forward to seeing some great work from the members of this group- there's some phenomenal talent here that I'd love to give a showing.

Mark Sampson
15-Feb-2016, 12:33
I'd love to submit something, but I haven't made a platinum print in about 20 years. (I have a few 8x10 negatives waiting, though.)
Those of you who make alternative prints, send something in! Glen Echo Photoworks is a great place,(I print there now) and I'm looking forward to seeing this show.

Michael S
15-Feb-2016, 14:52
How do you justify the $40 entry fee?

Doug Howk
16-Feb-2016, 07:33
What of the Lith Printing Process with contact prints on silver gelatin paper?

Scott Davis
16-Feb-2016, 07:47
How do you justify the $40 entry fee?

The entry fee will go to support ongoing operations of Photoworks- we are a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, and every dollar raised goes directly to daily operations. Neither of the jurors will be getting paid, nor will the volunteers for the hanging committee.

Scott Davis
16-Feb-2016, 07:49

Let me confer with my fellow juror and get back to you - I could be persuaded either way, but I think he should have input before making a final call.

Scott Davis
17-Feb-2016, 09:06

I'll make a judgment call and say yes, we'll accept Lith as an alternative process.

Andrew O'Neill
17-Feb-2016, 10:57
I would normally submit, but our dollar is pitiful at the moment.... and if I'm accepted, the cost of return postage is pretty high. Maybe next time. Good luck with the show, Scott!

Scott Davis
20-Feb-2016, 06:53
Last Reminder: the deadline for submissions is midnight tomorrow, Eastern Standard Time.
http://glenechophotoworks.org/2016/02/03/call-for-entries-rendering-the-spirit-the-personal-image-in-alternative-media/

Scott Davis
24-Feb-2016, 15:03
Thank you everyone for submitting work. The review will be happening this week and the announcements of acceptance will be going out by March 1.