PDA

View Full Version : Help with a lens choice

snaveyrich
7-Feb-2016, 21:18
I am new to LF and I am piecing together a setup for myself. I am looking at purchasing this camera: http://www.badgergraphic.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&path=2_22_98&product_id=120

I see that it does not come with a lens, only that it'll include a #0 Copal lens board. I was eyeing this lens on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-W-180mm-f5-6-Large-format-Lens-w-Copal-1-Near-Mint-from-Japan-/281929953547?hash=item41a455b10b:g:~rEAAOSwbdpWaFLs

So my question is, can I use that lens with the camera I am looking at purchasing? I am having a hard time finding out which ones will be compatible with that camera... I'm looking for a first lens to be in the 150-200mm range (and not too pricey).

Thanks for any help!

John Kasaian
7-Feb-2016, 21:39
It looks compatible to me, but you'll need a lens board drilled for a Copal 1, not the Copal 0. What kinds of subjects will you be shooting?
FWIW, here is an excellent 4x5 lens in a Copal 0:
https://www.keh.com/shop/150-f9-g-claron-copal-bt-32-mt-lens-675000.html

B.S.Kumar
7-Feb-2016, 22:02
The eBay listing shows the board attached. The camera you're looking at will take that board. So you're set.

Kumar

Doremus Scudder
8-Feb-2016, 03:45
The replies above are right on.

Just a comment for you if you're just starting out. Photographers coming from smaller formats to large-format are often unfamiliar with the basic differences in lenses and lens mounting. Small and medium format camera systems have dedicated lenses with proprietary mounts (bayonet, etc.).

LF cameras use lens boards to which lenses are then mounted. Different cameras have different size lens boards; lenses come in shutters that require different size mounting holes (they attach by means of a retaining ring or flange). The Shen Hao camera you linked to takes a very common Technika-size lens board (96 x 98 mm). These are also used on many other cameras (Wista, Tachihara, Woodman and, of course, Linhof Technika cameras). Wista and Nikon both made boards this size and there are generic brands as well.

Lensboards are available with a variety of standard-size mounting holes or undrilled that you can drill yourself (for custom mounts or non-standard, usually older, shutters).

When buying a lens, you need to also get a lensboard that a) fits your camera and b) has the right-size hole for the shutter of your lens. Common shutter sizes are designated (from smallest to largest) as Copal 0, Copal 1 and Copal 3, or simply just #0, #1 and #3. There are a bunch of different-size mounts as well, but most modern lenses use one of these three. If you're looking at an older lens (e.g., Ektar, Dagor, etc.) then you'll need to find the size of the mounting hole and be sure to get a lensboard you can drill or modify to fit it.

BTW, if you're looking at 180mm lenses and really want small and lightweight, you might take a look for a Fujinon A 180mm f/9. It's not as bright for focusing, but gratifyingly small and very sharp.

Hope this helps,

Doremus

snaveyrich
8-Feb-2016, 15:14
Fantastic! Thank you. I want to do both landscapes as well as portraits of my family and friends.

Two23
8-Feb-2016, 21:39
Fantastic! Thank you. I want to do both landscapes as well as portraits of my family and friends.

I would suggest two lenses. Maybe a 180mm, and then a 90mm. To get the 35mm camera equivalent length, divide by three. I use the same strategy when buying a system of single focal lenses for the different formats I shoot. It's roughly 24mm/50mm/100mm. For 4x5 it's 90mm/180mm/300mm. The idea is to have lenses roughly double. Start with your 180mm and then add something wider if you think you like the format.

The beauty of 4x5 is you can use any lens from any period of time. My favorite lenses for portrait are the 1920s vintage Heliar, Dagor, or a Tessar (such as Velostigmat.) I generally like a 200mm to 240mm for portraits, but that's of single people. Even a 150mm works fine for families. Below is a shot made with a 1922 150mm Heliar. I love the smoothness of that lens!

Kent in SD

Peter De Smidt
8-Feb-2016, 21:50
You're going to get a full range of suggestions. You really should simply pick one and start photographing. You will quickly see if your vision with larger format is wider or longer. Personally, I'd pick a 210mm lens first. The are plentiful, cheap, have good coverage, and are generally of high quality. It's a 'little bit longer then normal' lens that's useful for a lot of things. Longer lenses tend to get either more expensive or in larger shutters. On the wide end, i prefer a 120mm for landscapes, a gentle wide. If architecture is more your thing, then perhaps a 90mm. The 6.8s are a good compromise between ground glass brightness, size, weight and cost. My usage for landscapes goes, from most used to least used, 210, 120, 300, 90, 420. For architecture, it'd go 90, 120, 210. But this is all highly personal.

I'm sure that Jeff at Badger would swap out the included lens board if needed. He might even have a good lens, although he stocks much less used equipment than he used to.

DrTang
9-Feb-2016, 08:11
That camera uses Linhof Tech style lensboards that you can find in all different sizes on ebay pretty cheaply

you don't need to be 'stuck' with a lens because it fit the lensboard that came with the camera

pick up several in different sizes for all the lenses you will probably be getting down the road

fishbulb
9-Feb-2016, 11:30
Yeah for 4x5 lenses, it's mostly about weight vs. brightness.

A 150mm lens is going to feel like a "normal" lens, and is a good choice for a first lens on 4x5, if you like a ~50mm angle of view on a 35mm/full frame camera.

A 120mm lens as Peter suggested, is also a nice single-lens option, corresponding roughly to a ~35mm angle of view on a 35mm/full frame camera. Moderately wide and good for all-around photography.

These diagrams may help for determining "equivalent" angles of view from digital slr cameras vs. 4x5 cameras.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=133420&d=1430845838

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=133421&d=1430845890

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=133422&d=1430845909

If I could do it again, I'd probably go with: 90mm f/8, 150mm f/5.6, 200mm f/8 -- mainly because of the light weight of these lenses.

What I actually go out with is: 75mm f/4.5, 135mm f/5.6, 300mm f/9.

I do most of the shooting with the 135mm, but it is nice to have the wide and telephoto options available, even if they don't get used much and are at the minimum and maximum of my bellows extension. But, because they are at the limits of the bellows, very little movements are allowed with those two lenses so if I want to do any significant tilt/shift/rise/fall etc. it's got to be with the 135mm. Or bring different lenses like my 90mm instead of the 75mm.

Larry Gebhardt
9-Feb-2016, 11:39
And excellent camera and an excellent lens. I started out with the same camera and only sold it when I got a Chamonix for the longer bellows. I'm not positive it was the right decision. I have the 180mm Nikon and use it for my 5x7 system as well. Excellent all around.

Talk to Badger and they might swap out the #0 lens board for the #1 you will need. If not the extra one is cheap enough and I'm sure you'll find another lens to mount on the #0 soon enough. Good luck with it all.