PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt: Speed Graphic Still Life close-up

jonbrisbincreative
6-Feb-2016, 13:35
I'm finding I don't really use my Fujinon 90/f8 all that much. It doesn't really fit with my style of shooting. Here was my first attempt at close-up still life with it on a Speed Graphic I restored.

I find the 90mm a little too wide for close ups. This is even cropped down a little. I felt like I needed to add some lens correction in Photoshop because I was so close (about 6-8"). It's also hard to focus in the situations I often put myself. I'm going to be getting rid of it, I think, and find something longer and faster.

Ilford FP4+
4s @ f22
Developed in HC-110 for 7.5 mins.
Tweaked at scan time on Epson 4990 (SilverFast), then in Photoshop.

Bill_1856
6-Feb-2016, 16:39
Well done, (except for those black spots in the upper corner). The perspective divergence of the cups actually add a natural realism that a long lens would have destroyed. Bokah is perfect (what aperture did you use?).

BetterSense
6-Feb-2016, 16:48
It looks really but you need to crop it centered and crop out the black dots.

jbenedict
6-Feb-2016, 17:13
If your Speed came with a 127 Rktar like many of them did, it makes a fantastic macro lens. A 127 is slightly wide on 4x5 (much like a 35 wide on 35mm) and can only move 1/4-3/8" each way but is very well corrected for close images.

jonbrisbincreative
6-Feb-2016, 21:46
FWIW those "dots" are rungs of the chair backs around the dining room table. I'll see if I can't clone them out and tweak the crop a little.

I have another composition that's closer but I haven't had a chance to scan it yet.

jonbrisbincreative
6-Feb-2016, 21:49
If your Speed came with a 127 Rktar like many of them did, it makes a fantastic macro lens. A 127 is slightly wide on 4x5 (much like a 35 wide on 35mm) and can only move 1/4-3/8" each way but is very well corrected for close images.

I got this camera without any lens, though I do have a 127 Ektar that needs a shutter overhaul. I think it might be cheaper just to buy another one, though.

jbenedict
7-Feb-2016, 06:49
I got this camera without any lens, though I do have a 127 Ektar that needs a shutter overhaul. I think it might be cheaper just to buy another one, though.

Or use the focal plane shutter.

MultiFormat Shooter
7-Feb-2016, 12:04
Overall, a very nice image. I agree with Bill_1856, the divergence of the cups adds a element of realism.

Doremus Scudder
8-Feb-2016, 03:50
Keep your 90mm; you'll end up loving it for other things :)

FWIW, my favorite focal length for tabletop work is 135mm. Most plasmats will give excellent results at that distance and they're great for general photography as well.

Doremus

jonbrisbincreative
8-Feb-2016, 07:10
This particular camera doesn't have the FP shutter in it. It was removed before I bought it, which was one of the selling points of the camera for me. I wouldn't use it anyway. LF is not the only format I shoot so I have no need for a 4x5 FP camera.

The 127 I have that needs a shutter overhaul has a mangled shutter that's closed up so it's no good until I get it overhauled.

This is the other composition I did. I got it in a little bit closer so now I'm about 4" from the subject. I definitely don't like the 90 for this sort of stuff. I also found it really hard to focus well with the Speed Graphic's pop-up hood. I need something faster than f8.

Ilford FP4+
4s @ f32
Developed in HC-110 for ~7.5 mins.
Tweaked at scan time on Epson 4990 (SilverFast), then in Photoshop.

djdister
8-Feb-2016, 07:13
I would suggest looking for a 210mm or 150mm lens for this type of work. Keep the 90mm or interior or exterior architectural shots.