PDA

View Full Version : positive/slide images on ULF

Light on Glass
2-Feb-2016, 12:53
Hi all, a while back the person who sold me my first 4x5 camera said he wanted to switch to 11x14, shoot slide stock, and then just mount it to a light box with no scanning. Is this even possible now? I don't see that anyone/Fuji even makes positive film stock in any ULF size. Is that correct? thx

vinny
2-Feb-2016, 13:06
Correct.
Fuji is the only company making LF transparency film. I haven't seen 11x14 from fuji since Badger Graphic did a special order od Provia several years ago. Good luck getting fuji to answer your questions, they couldn't care less!

Will Frostmill
2-Feb-2016, 13:20
If you are content with b&w you could contact print Arista Ortho Litho to get your slide. Alternatively, look up Dufay Color process - you could inkjet print your color mask and layer it in a sandwich with your positive transparency.

StoneNYC
2-Feb-2016, 23:57
I could have Fuji do a special order in 11x14 but it would have to be a BIG order.

tgtaylor
3-Feb-2016, 01:06
You can reverse B&W film at home: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?125393-Reversal-Processing-with-D-11&highlight=reversal

Thomas

Light on Glass
3-Feb-2016, 14:39
Thanks, more of a curiosity. I get my developing done at a lab, they won't do reversal on BW film, I asked. I am going to start by just shooting 4x5 and getting clear Fuji prints made. I was just weighing the idea of direct film display on a light box, but it seems it would not be as easy as it sounds. :)

Daniel Stone
3-Feb-2016, 17:43
I could have Fuji do a special order in 11x14 but it would have to be a BIG order.

Like $100,000 worth, or are we talking about Kodak/Alaris special-order MOQ #'s(around $14-15,000)?

David Lobato
3-Feb-2016, 19:41
You may have trouble finding a lab that can process E-6 11x14 sheets. Possibly some dip and dunk machines can accommodate that size, I don't know for sure. It may take a little bit of searching to find a lab.

I need to judiciously choose my set ups for 8x10 color film due to its cost. 11x14 color film is going to be more expensive, especially when you add in processing. 11x14 B&W film costs me plenty as it is, and I need to be very particular about deciding when to expose a sheet.

Btw, large format color positives are more accurately called color transparencies. Slides are film mounted in a rigid mount for projection. I learned that after getting to know a professional processing lab back when they processed literally hundreds of 8x10 E-6 transparencies per day for a large corporate customer.

David Lobato
3-Feb-2016, 19:46
AZ Photo Lab, also known as Aker Imaging, in Houston TX can process up to 8x10. They provide pricing for up to 4x5, but they told me they will handle 8x10 if you ask.

Tin Can
3-Feb-2016, 20:35
Up to 11x14

http://gammaimaging.com/darkroom-printing/film-processing/e-6_c-41/

StoneNYC
4-Feb-2016, 23:57
Like $100,000 worth, or are we talking about Kodak/Alaris special-order MOQ #'s(around $14-15,000)?

As my contacts take my questions seriously I would only ask if you were serious at $10,000-$15,000. But I could ask.

You may have trouble finding a lab that can process E-6 11x14 sheets. Possibly some dip and dunk machines can accommodate that size, I don't know for sure. It may take a little bit of searching to find a lab.

I need to judiciously choose my set ups for 8x10 color film due to its cost. 11x14 color film is going to be more expensive, especially when you add in processing. 11x14 B&W film costs me plenty as it is, and I need to be very particular about deciding when to expose a sheet.

Btw, large format color positives are more accurately called color transparencies. Slides are film mounted in a rigid mount for projection. I learned that after getting to know a professional processing lab back when they processed literally hundreds of 8x10 E-6 transparencies per day for a large corporate customer.

Praus will do it, $15/11x14 sheets of E-6

Excellent and highly recommended. He'a done all my 8x10 E-6 until this year when I got a JOBO. Now I just send the really important stuff that I'm scared of screwing up, because I trust him more than me.

http://www.4photolab.com/pricing/

dave_whatever
5-Feb-2016, 03:33
Be careful with using transparency film originals for illuminated display. I'm not sure from reading the OP if this is intended as a fixed display, but a back-lit 11x14 on E6 film will look amazing but they will fade with prolonged illumination.

A mate of mine had a thing on his wall at home where it was a fluorescent strip in a box with a slot in the front where you loaded in a couple of dozen 35mm slides in a long strip, the tube illuminated them, it was designed as a kind of interior decor talking point. They would have it turned on when they had guests around etc etc. After not that long, a couple of years his slides, all originals, had faded noticeably. In his case they were all professionally processed Ektachromes from the early 2000s.

Pali K
5-Feb-2016, 05:49
Stone I would commit to atleast two boxes if you ever arranged a group buy for 11x 14 velvia. I am afraid the minimum order required will be much higher than 15-20k though. Keep us posted if you do decide to look into this. Thanks!

StoneNYC
7-Feb-2016, 16:46
Stone I would commit to atleast two boxes if you ever arranged a group buy for 11x 14 velvia. I am afraid the minimum order required will be much higher than 15-20k though. Keep us posted if you do decide to look into this. Thanks!

Yea I agree provably closer to $100,000 or more lol

Light on Glass
7-Mar-2016, 14:35
Thanks for all the answers. It sounds like mounting the original film to a light box would not be a great display idea. I will think in a different direction such as using Fujiclear or some other transparent medium with enlargements.