PDA

View Full Version : Wide Field Ektar help

jwd722
31-Jan-2016, 15:52
I have a 135mm f6.3 Wide Field Ektar, a 1948 model, with something extra. The serial number stars with an E followed by a space then EI 1207. Has anyone ever seen a three letter serial number? Does anyone know anything about it? I have never seen another Ektar with three numbers nor can I find a picture with three. I have searched the internet and still nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated, it's just one of those things that will keep me awake at night!
Thanks145858

Mark Sampson
31-Jan-2016, 16:00
Looks like they engraved the first 'E' in the wrong place, and then went ahead and finished the job correctly. Human error? At Kodak? Yep. (disclosure: I worked at Kodak for 20+ years as an industrial photographer, in the building complex where this lens was made, and own and use a 1948 135/6.3 WF Ektar.)

Chauncey Walden
31-Jan-2016, 16:17
I have a Retina IIIc with the extra E. Someone told me that it was sold in Europe but odd that it is not metric so who knows.

jwd722
31-Jan-2016, 18:36
Looks like they engraved the first 'E' in the wrong place, and then went ahead and finished the job correctly. Human error? At Kodak? Yep. (disclosure: I worked at Kodak for 20+ years as an industrial photographer, in the building complex where this lens was made, and own and use a 1948 135/6.3 WF Ektar.)

So that means it's a rarity and possibly one of a kind and worth hundreds...maybe thousands!! Finally, retirement is in sight!! :)

If not then it is still a very nice lens!

Duolab123
2-Feb-2016, 23:49
Series EE stops earning interest after 30 years :)

David Lindquist
3-Feb-2016, 08:14
I've seen this sort of serial number occasionally, mainly window shopping on eBay. I've wondered if possibly the numbers made went over 9,999 and wanting to keep the number of digits at four Kodak added the extra "E" and started over on the numeric part. My guess here is probably wrong.
David

Mark Sampson
3-Feb-2016, 19:03
David, a good thought, but I sincerely doubt that EK ever made 10,000 Wide Field Ektars in a single year. We'll probably never know why that extra letter is there, my idea is only an educated guess.

David Lindquist
4-Feb-2016, 18:42
Yes, a good thought, but my own collection of five Eastman Kodak lenses spanning 1948 to 1964 all have serial numbers in the three digits so breaking 9,999 does seem a stretch. So Kodak used a separate number series for each type of lens (Commercial Ektar, Wide Field Ektar, f/7.7 Ektar etc.) correct? But not a separate number series for each focal length within a type, right? Out of sheer curiosity Mike (or any one) what did serial number one for each year look like? For example for 1953 would it have been RM1, or would there be place holders, e.g. RM 01 or RM 001, or perhaps they started with RM 100.

Perhaps I should find something else to wonder about...
David