PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Kardan Bi

Robert Dunn
31-Jan-2016, 13:05
Good morning,
I'm considering entering the LF arena, and I am wondering what you think of the Linhof Kardan Bi 4x5 camera as a first camera?
Bob

mdarnton
31-Jan-2016, 13:19
I had the use of one for a couple of years. It's an incredible machine, very precise and well made, and beautiful. Also sort of heavy. I don't see them very often on ebay, and I know that Linhof parts are scarce and/or expensive, so that would temper my enthusiasm if I were looking to build a system around it. It is, however, one of the top ten sexy cameras, in my opinion.

Bob Salomon
31-Jan-2016, 13:41
Linhof accessories and parts are readily available except for those accessories that attach directly to the rail. Many of the other parts needed for repair are the same for the very latest Linhof Kardan re. Parts that were specific to the B are not available however.
Accessories that fit directly to the front or rear standards are exactly the same as current Kardan cameras as are gg, Fresnel and lens boards. So, as long as you do not need accessory rails, the tripod mounting block or the auxialary standard all other accessories are easily available new, if not used.

Robert Dunn
31-Jan-2016, 15:38
What are your thoughts on a Linhof select Schneider 150mm f5.6 symmar that may be offered with it?

mdarnton
31-Jan-2016, 15:57
When considering Bob's comment, you might want to price out what those parts he's saying you can get would cost you. :-) Price out a bellows, just for fun, since you'll need one some day. $670 from B&H.

A Symmar is a solid lens if it's in good condition. Whether it will work for you depends on what you want to do with it. Me, I don't think I have shot a picture with a 150mm in some years, though it's known as a "normal" focal length for 4x5. Your mileage may vary, as they say. Owning one can't hurt you, and it's one valid place to start.

You will find various opinions as to whether the concept of Linhof "select" has any actual meaning beyond marketing. Those who are selling them are invariably impressed by the idea, as are those who end up paying more for it and need to justify the cost to themselves after the fact. :-) Are the non-select, non Linhof lenses that everyone else uses bad, then? How on earth did Schneider manage to stay in business selling so many lenses if they were usually making crap, I wonder. :-) But at this point in time, I suspect condition trumps all else.

Bob Salomon
31-Jan-2016, 16:17
When considering Bob's comment, you might want to price out what those parts he's saying you can get would cost you. :-) Price out a bellows, just for fun, since you'll need one some day. $670 from B&H.

A Symmar is a solid lens if it's in good condition. Whether it will work for you depends on what you want to do with it. Me, I don't think I have shot a picture with a 150mm in some years, though it's known as a "normal" focal length for 4x5. Your mileage may vary, as they say. Owning one can't hurt you, and it's one valid place to start.

You will find various opinions as to whether the concept of Linhof "select" has any actual meaning beyond marketing. Those who are selling them are invariably impressed by the idea, as are those who end up paying more for it and need to justify the cost to themselves after the fact. :-) Are the non-select, non Linhof lenses that everyone else uses bad, then? How on earth did Schneider manage to stay in business selling so many lenses if they were usually making crap, I wonder. :-) But at this point in time, I suspect condition trumps all else.

Who said that "they made crap" besides you.
Linhof has their own quality control tests that are based on the use of a Siemen's Star projector from Rodenstock. Their test is pretty comprehensive and not only includes testing on the projector but also a very thorough physical examination for dust, foreign debris, properly functioning shutters, etc. in fact, Sinar used the same projector for their tests.
If a lens can be easily cleaned by the tech inspecting it then it is cleaned. If it cannot, or if it fails theprojector test or the shutter does not function properly it fails the test and is returned to the lens manufacturer who then corrects, if possible, whatever caused the lens or shutter to fail and they then sold it through their customers. If it passes it is marked with the Linhof logo and is put in stock for sale or, if it tests particularly well for panoramics, it goes to production for use on a Tecnorama.
Since Schneider no longer makes large format lenses they no longer have to worry about new lenses failing or passing. Only Rodenstock does since they are the only current manufacturer for large format lenses.