PDA

View Full Version : Large Format and rain

Steve Bell
12-Mar-2005, 03:30
In the past I've always tried to avoid shooting in light rain. If I did it would be briefly with 35mm and not using my Mamiya TLR, too many places for water to go. Now I use large format more, again I'm concerned about the camera and lens getting wet, especially folding up my Toyo 45A with rain or snow trapped in the bellows. Should I be overly worried, and what is the best way of protecting a camera in light rain or snow?

paul owen
12-Mar-2005, 03:48
I was recently taking some pics in Scotland where I experienced both light drizzle and snow - but having driven 500 miles for just one full days photography I couldn't afford to be "fussy". So I simply sheltered the camera beneath an Ebony All Weather focus cloth! It not only enables you to compose/focus but is so light it can be left "on" the camers and acts as a waterproof cover! They may seem expensive for a focus cloth but are a real boon!

Steve Bell
12-Mar-2005, 04:20
Paul, I'll have to look into that. After last weekend in the Yorkshire Dales, often with snow under foot, I found so much light reflected back from the ground a nuisance. I currently use a traditional black/red cotton cloth (not water repellent), I was going to consider a wrap around tunnel type cloth. With 35mm I'd often hold a brolly over the camera as you could operate it with one hand, not so now.

Dave Moeller
12-Mar-2005, 04:52
I've taken to carrying a plastic garbage bag (a bin liner?) in my backpack. If I want to shoot in the rain, I slice the bottom open far enough to get the front standard through, and use the bag as a big plastic tunnel to hold the camera. The only nuisance is getting a hole in place for the tripod mount...the bags tend to slide around and you have to fuss with the camera a bit when you're mounting it onto the tripod. Once it's mounted, however, the setup works fine for me (and the bags are long enough that if it's not bright out - which it rarely is here when it's raining - I can use the end of the bag as a dark cloth).

I set up the camera inside of the bag before I step out of my car, and mount the camera on the tripod inside of the car while I stand beside it (getting wet in the process...a small price to pay).

Not the most comfortable setup, but it protects the camera nicely from rain and snow and allows shooting in conditions when I might otherwise be reluctant to take the camera out.

One other thing to keep in mine...make sure the bag stays out of the shot. There's enough extra plastic hanging around that you have to keep track of any that falls in front of the front standard.

As I type this, I realize that I really should find a rubber band that will stretch around the front standard to hold the bag in place there. I'll give this a try sometime and let you know if I have any luck with it.

paul owen
12-Mar-2005, 04:58
Steve - good to hear from another UK LF'er! I've adapted the Ebony cloth to make it a bit more user-friendly! The standard cloth is a blanket-type so I (okay it was my wife!) sewed a hem (at the camera end) and inserted an elasticated drawstring and also sewed both halves together halfway along the bottom edge - result ... a "hybrid" tube-type cloth! No more reflections from snow or water! But the open end is large enough to get head and arm in for louping!

Steve Hamley
12-Mar-2005, 05:31
Steve,

I've also used the Ebony all weather focusing cloth and it works pretty well. It requires the Ebony lens shade clip and it will blow about in wind a bit. It's also large, so if your close to the ground, it will be on the ground unless to attche some extra velcro or something to cinch it up a bit.

But it does keep mist and light rain off both the camera and lens as well as anything and better than most, and is a pretty good "compndium" shade too.

Steve H.

Brian Ellis
12-Mar-2005, 06:06
I used to be very concerned about taking my metal camera out even in a light drizzle. But after a recent 10 day trip to Ireland, during which it must have rained at least twenty times off and on, I'm now an all-weather photographer. Photographing in rain wasn't fun but with care in draping something water resistant over the camera while it's on the tripod (I used the rain protector that came with my F64 back pack), and care in drying everything off at the end of the day, no harm was done.

george jiri loun
12-Mar-2005, 06:50
Indeed, rain is more of annoyance for the photographer than for the camera. All that must be protected is the lens and it's shutter (the film standard perhaps) - the rest can take a bath and be dried after with no consequencies.

Steve Clark
12-Mar-2005, 06:50
Steve,
Your gear will tolerate a lot more moisture than you think, just be sure that it has dried out completely before you store it.

Robert Ley
12-Mar-2005, 08:50
Steve, I recently photographed in the rain forest in Peurto Rico and used a small black travel umbrella wedged into the side strap of my Wista VX. It was kind of a PITA but worked OK. I got home and the newest issue of Outdoor (digital) Photographer arrived. They have a section called infocus where they hawk photo accessories. Low and behold there is an umbrella clamp that is sold by a company in Montana called Crazy Creek. They have a website, but it doesn't have the clamp on the site yet. I called the 800 number(800-331-0304) and ordered one. I will report on it's Utility after my next trip in about two weeks in the Smokies. One side benefit of the umbrella is it can be used to block light from the rear of the camera and make the groundglass easier to see while using the folding focusing hood.

David Richhart
12-Mar-2005, 09:19
How about having a full time umbrella holder to protect you ala Michael Jackson??? I think I would opt for one cuter though.

dan otranto
12-Mar-2005, 09:27
i think shooting in the rain is fun

Alan Davenport
12-Mar-2005, 09:55
Take along wife/husband/significantother and an umbrella. Tell W/H/SO that he/she can stand under whatever part of the umbrella isn't needed for the camera.

Robin Coutts
12-Mar-2005, 11:39
I often make photo's in the rain. I have two approaches. If there is no/ little wind, I use a homemade darkcloth, made out of a sort of 'gortexlike' material from 'Penine Outdoors'. I had my wife sew pockets in, so that I could put plastic stiffeners in the front to make a wrap around cloth with a built in lens hood.

If it is very windy, I use a Black Jacket and halt for heavy showers. I also carry a 'Paramo' towl -fleecy wicking sort of stuff, that was cut lengthways to wear as a scarf, the other half was split in two to make a small towl and a travelling face flannel. These very effectively dry off the camera after a rain shower.

Finally my ever indulgent wife made me a waterproof nylon rain hood for my Linhof, so that when it really rains, I put this on it and wait till it stops. I prefer the nylon rain hood because it has much less windage than wrapping a dark cloth or dark hood aroundthe cameara and I have already lost one camera that way!

Robin

Richard Littlewood
12-Mar-2005, 12:06
So many UK LFers! Must have been the rain/drizzle that brought us all out. I take most of my pics out in the southern Pennines, so rain of all kinds can be a problem. I bought a Walker Titan because of it's all weather capiabilities, but I still have to protect the lens and shield the darkslide between bag and camera back. Keeping the camera dry (ish) is pretty easy with focusing cloths and perhaps (if you are lucky) the AW cover off a back pack type bag. My main problem is water spots on the lens/filter front. In cold weather they are a pain to wipe off, so I carry a small piece of cotton T-shirt that smears it around and takes it off - and I also try to work a little bit faster! Problem with rain round these parts, it's often paired with gusty winds, so getting my stuff a bit dampish comes with the territory.

austin granger
12-Mar-2005, 20:44
Well, this is more of an anecdote than an answer, but someone out there may appreciate it.

This past new year's day I was out at the coast photographing in very unsettled weather. Before I even saw it coming, a huge black cloud snuck up behind me and began dumping huge ammounts of freezing rain on my head. Panicked about my newish wooden 8x10, I quickly tore off my rain parka and threw it over my tripod mounted camera. Then, for the duration of the downpour, I huddled beneath my improvised "teepee", laughing all the while like a total madman. Unfortuately, I didn't fit completely under my shelter, so the icy rain ran down my neck and soaked my back, but somehow I still found it to be a glorious experience.

Anyway, the camera remained almost completely dry.

CXC
13-Mar-2005, 10:35
Some cameras are more rain sensitive than others. The Walkers, for instance, being made entirely of abs plastic and stainless steel, with a plastic-like bellows, are renowned for being the ultimate in this regard. I can vouch for mine as being a top-quality camera, though I have never used it in inclement weather. Personally I don't shoot in the rain, or heavy wind, for that matter. I have a hard enough time producing keepers in the best of conditions!

otzi
13-Mar-2005, 20:21
There are golfing umbrella clamps, that clamp easily onto the tripod leg. OK in light drizzle. Have used one of those sprung loaded camping dunny tents that self erect. Bit cramped but OK by the car. Keeps the kit dry as well.

Sam
14-Mar-2005, 00:34
Ive used my Tachihara in the rain. Not a driving rain but light rain. I use my Harrison darkcloth to cover the entire camera. I also discovered that the rain cover on my Photo trekker awII really works too.

David Karp
14-Mar-2005, 09:51
Steve,

I asked a similar question a while ago, and got some good answers:

http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/434068.html

Hope this helps.

Steve Bell
26-Mar-2005, 04:05
Thanks everyone for your replies, and the link to the previous thread. Since I made the post I haven't been out in the rain, but I'm sure I'll see more when our 'April Showers' start, lovelly skies during that period.