PDA

View Full Version : Compensating development with Acros

Ron Marshall
11-Mar-2005, 16:45
Would someone kindly tell me if Fuji Acros is a good candidate for N-4 (compensating) processing in HC-110.

Also, the same question for FP4+.

Thanks

Jay Wolfe
11-Mar-2005, 19:09
In the words of Fred Picker:

TRY IT!

Mike Williams
11-Mar-2005, 20:30
It would have to be pretty diluted. I can get N-4 with Acros using the following:

Clayton F76+ Developer
Dultion: 1+19
Constant Tube Agitation @ 68F
Developing Time: 5 1/2 minutes
ASA: 25

Donald Qualls
12-Mar-2005, 06:55
Given that Acros is a "designer grain" film, I'd be fairly surprised if you could get that level of contrast reduction in HC-110, even with very high dilution and greatly reduced agitation -- but it'd be worth shooting some tests to see what you can get. With my inversion type daylight tubes, I'd start with Dilution G (remember to use at least 12 ounces, 360 ml of working solution for each 8x10 equivalent, though you'll generally need much more than that to cover the film in a tube), agitation cycles of 5 slow inversions after filling, then only 1 to 3 more times in the course of around 15 minutes of development, then adjust from there. Both decreased time and decreased agitation will reduce contrast with this process, but decreased agitation won't affect film speed, while decreased time will reduce speed slightly. With this time, look for about a 1/3 to 1/2 stop reduction in speed compared to your normal development.

If this doesn't get you far enough, you might consider Caffenol LC. I've used it with good results on microfilm (similar characteristics to Tech Pan) to get pictorial contrast. You have to mix it youself, though -- for each 8 ounces (240 ml) of room temperature water, add two level teaspoons of washing soda (sodium carbonate monohydrate -- probably around 5 grams), stir until solution is completely transparent, then add two slightly rounded teaspoons of coffee crystals (Folger's works, but I've also used a store brand that came in the same shape jar and looked the same, at about half the price), and stir until all muddiness is gone and the solution looks like strong brewed coffee. Develop with normal agitation for about 20-30 minutes (can't tell you for certain on Acros -- I've used 20 minutes with microfilm, Across will probably need more than this). This is a staining developer, so good negatives will look thin to the eye; test by printing before making decisions to adjust development. Film speed should be close to what you're used to using for Acros, but testing is in order.

Kirk Keyes
12-Mar-2005, 08:58
Using PMK in a Jobo at 20C, I was able to get a CI of 0.25 (visual channel) at a development time of 5 minutes. EI of 25.

Going the other way, with Xtol at 20C in a Jobo, I can get a CI of 1.12 at 20 minutes, EI of 160.

Acros is a very flexible film. You should not have any problems.

Kirk

Ron Marshall
12-Mar-2005, 10:42
Thanks to all for the prompt and clear advice.

I want to take some night cityscapes, but so far have only done N development with Acros.
I am very happy with Acros but I thought that FP4+ might be more suitable for such a large contraction.

From what you have told me I will go with the Acros.