PDA

View Full Version : Can someone ID this brass Voigtlander & Sohn. Serial 22089 ?

JosephBurke
21-Jan-2016, 18:13
Can someone ID this brass Voigtlander & Sohn. Marked with a "C" Serial 22089 ?
Identify and any idea of value. Looking to move it.
See attachment: 145389

Tim Deming
21-Jan-2016, 18:21
It is a euryscope design, or as it has been dubbed here, a "pre-euryscope". Search on the forum for a thread on pre- euryscope lenses started by Steven Tribe and you'll learn all you need to know

Steven Tribe
22-Jan-2016, 01:28
Most of these are either approaches to series IV or series VI. Apart from size numbers being given as arabic numbers ( the later adopted convention), there are alphabetic series and Roman numeral series. The request for valuation is a mistake, I hope?

JosephBurke
22-Jan-2016, 03:55
In regard to "valuation" I was feeling for whether it was worth keeping or unloading---you know, run of the mill or something a bit more unique. I have several Lerebours et Secretan lenses and several Dallmeyer Petzvals but I really wanted to find out exactly what this lens is. It came mounted, via a homemade lens board, on a 14x17 camera I acquired a few years ago. So, considering the home made lens board, I thought it likely was just an added display piece as opposed to actually covering the format. If it covers the format then maybe I'd better just keep them (camera and lens) together. That's really where I was going with my inquiry.

Steven Tribe
22-Jan-2016, 06:35
If it is the slower version, then it may cover the 14x17 camera it came with. These are really fine lenses. I, and many others, am very pleased with the similar early Euryskops.

CCHarrison
22-Jan-2016, 08:15
As stated, an early Euryscop portrait lens. Likely made late 1875. Here is an article about this "C" lens. From

The Progress of Photography Since the Year 1879: A Review of the More Important Discoveries in Photography and Photographic Chemistry, Within the Last Four Years, with Special Consideration of Emulsion Photography, and an Additional Chapter on Photography for Amateurs. Ellerslie Wallace, Edward Livingston Wilson E. L. Wilson, 1883

Dan

www.AntiqueCameras.net

Steven Tribe
22-Jan-2016, 08:50
I am not sure this early description of the C (?) Euryskop is to be relied on! It seems to be repeating the old nonsense about being a modified Petzval rather than a well designed RR/Aplanat.

CCHarrison
22-Jan-2016, 10:02
Steven - I think it is this C. I believe the writer did think it was as simple the rear element was cemented and the Petzval magically became a symmetrical layout.

goamules
22-Jan-2016, 11:09
I'll say this, I've never seen one with a letter C in that position, and I've had and seen a lot of rare Voigtlanders. So to answer your question, yes, it's uncommon and I'd shoot some photos with it and see if YOU like it. As far as will it cover, you are holding the lens, and are in the best position to tell us. What's the focal length and speed?

JosephBurke
22-Jan-2016, 15:33
I did a quick unmounted "against the wall' check for focal length. I'd estimate at 16 to 17 inches at infinity
and lens diameter at roughly 2 1/2 or a bit over. So, I guess somewhere in the f 6 or f 7 range.

Tim Deming
22-Jan-2016, 21:25
Joseph, here is the thread i referred to above:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?79350-Archaic-Proto-Euryscope&highlight=Early+euryscop

If you look at later posts, you'll see that about 5 C "euryscopes" had been identified on this forum. I recollect seeing a half dozen or so sales of these on eb@y in the past 5 or so years. So, not too common, but not too uncommon either. Definitely a nice lens.

Steven Tribe
23-Jan-2016, 12:25
I have updated the list of known proto- euryskops.
This last one appears to be a series IV size 4 type.
I include the table for this series below.

There are three outstanding problems with the C version:

Are the two cells identical?

Are all C models an early series IV?

Are they, perhaps, the same size?

Tim Deming
24-Jan-2016, 20:43
Hi Steven,

From samples i've seen, the C lens has symmetrical cells, 60mm dia. Little bit shorter focal length than a bona fide euryscope IV #5, and operating at f7.