PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Camera Repair Estimate

lbb4x5
19-Jan-2016, 15:44
Hey all!

Longtime lurker - decided to make a post in regards to a camera repair estimate on my Linhof Technika 4x5. I love to shoot with my Linhof but I haven't read up enough to understand the importance of different types of repairs and what I could do without (if at all). I plan to research this a bit, however this forum has been so helpful to me as a lurker I wanted to share this estimate with you and hear your thoughts.

The estimates are as follows,
1. Linhof MASTER TECHNIKA 4x5" 58473
- *Focus Cam, Lens Board rise/down gear damaged. No Parts !!
- Just Replace Bellows and General Overhaul, Adjust, Lubricate, check and clean
Labor $360.00 + Parts $356.00 + tax
2. Schneider 150mm F4.5 Xenar 4191772
- Overhaul Shutter Mechanism(Shutter speed is off).
- Lubricate, Clean and Adjust.
Labor $160.00 + tax

The total is $953.75 which includes tax.

Should I proceed with the repairs? I remember reading about how replacing bellows may not be the best way to go - the shutter adjustment makes sense to me... bunch of things going on here! It's not a money issue as much as me wanting to understand the importance behind them. I also plan to call the repair shop back when I have more time to hear the reasoning directly from them.

Thanks so much for your time and any advice you may have!
Lindsay

Peter De Smidt
19-Jan-2016, 16:51
If your bellows are shot, then you need new bellows.

Bob Salomon
19-Jan-2016, 17:06
First of all, why do you think that you have a Master Technika? The Master Technika was introduced in Sept of 1972. Your serial number is for a Technika III from 1957.
There is no reason to put that much money into a III. A III is missing forward lens tilt, the most common movement on a view camera. None of the parts are available from the factory. The III uses a different size board and GG then all later models of the Technika.
If you want to spend that much money look for a IV or a V. While some of these may also no longer have repair parts available at least cams, boards and GG and Fresnel screens are and all accessories for the current Master fit cameras as old as the IV.

And how did you arrive at the total repair cost? What you post as the costs are far less then your posted total.

IanG
19-Jan-2016, 17:29
It's not worth it. Bob's right.

I can (and have) buy a mint Xenar for less than the cost of a CLA, and spare shutter is not hard to find.

As for the camera be patient watch ebay, post on here in the wanted adverts (after a month as a member) and on other Forums, it's possible to get the parts you need from people breaking up cameras. It took me a year or so to get the bit's to repair and restore a Super Graphic I bought cheap, but the Internet is your friend here.

Ian

wombat2go
19-Jan-2016, 17:32
And how did you arrive at the total repair cost? What you post as the costs are far less then your posted total.

According to my calc, the tax is 8.75%, maybe some shipping in there too?

lbb4x5
19-Jan-2016, 20:45
If your bellows are shot, then you need new bellows.

Hi Peter,

That makes sense - I checked around after sending this post and read if it's to the point where you need new ones - you should go for it.

This may sound silly but the slides I shoot with the camera are perfectly fine in my eyes - I've never seen a problem with the bellows or camera. I dropped the camera off at the shop mainly for a cleaning and came back with a hefty estimate.

Appreciate your input! Thank you

Lindsay

lbb4x5
19-Jan-2016, 20:48
The Master Technika title came from the repair shop - when it was sold to me at a camera convention back in Boston years ago I was told it was a Technika III like you pointed out.

Thank you for taking the time to explain to me the value in looking at a IV or a V versus putting time and money into the III. That's really neat that the cams, boards, and screens are all available if needed.

The total repair cost also came from the shop - the estimate was taken straight from the email they sent to me (I missed their phone call so I got an email follow up). I apologize for not being more clear - I was anxious to post this for advice and didn't give a clear picture. Thank you for taking the time regardless.

This shop is Nippon Photo Clinic in New York for the tax part.

lbb4x5
19-Jan-2016, 20:51
Hi Ian

Thank you for echoing Bob's post about not moving forward with the repairs. Like I was saying in my reply to Peter - the shots I've developed from it have always been fine to my eyes...so I might as well keep it and use it how I have been. Moving forward, I am going to keep an eye on Ebay - I appreciate your advice about what to look out for and a fair timeline.

The internet is a beautiful place for purchasing film gear - I've had solid luck so far. It's really interesting to me that a camera I shoot and develop film with could have such a high cost in repairs but look fine to me.

Thank you again, Ian

Lindsay

lbb4x5
19-Jan-2016, 20:52
Hey there, you're about right -- this shop is in New York. I should've included that in my original post! I believe the shop factored in shipping, as well, since I'm not currently living in the New York area.

Lindsay

Bob Salomon
20-Jan-2016, 05:20
Hey there, you're about right -- this shop is in New York. I should've included that in my original post! I believe the shop factored in shipping, as well, since I'm not currently living in the New York area.

Lindsay

Where are you living?

Bill_1856
20-Jan-2016, 07:03
The lack of forward tilt on a Technika III is no problem. You just tilt the extendable back.

Bob Salomon
20-Jan-2016, 07:07
The lack of forward tilt on a Technika III is no problem. You just tilt the extendable back.

You can drop either the back or the front but that in no way makes up for the lack of forward tilt. When you tilt from the back you change image shape. When you drop the bed then the camera dictates camera position, not the photographer. You really can't replace the lack of the forward tilting lens board. Fortunately that is on all of the later models.

metalsmith
20-Jan-2016, 15:47
Frankly, buy a different camera.

lbb4x5
21-Jan-2016, 11:46
Hey Bob!

At the moment I live in Denver - I'll be moving to Austin, TX for work this March.

lbb4x5
21-Jan-2016, 11:47
Good call out, Bill!

I haven't used the tilt as much as I would like - it's something to consider if I"m looking into a new camera but wasn't a deal breaker when I bought this years ago.

lbb4x5
21-Jan-2016, 11:48
Thank you, Kevin! I appreciate your input :D

lbb4x5
21-Jan-2016, 11:49
You can drop either the back or the front but that in no way makes up for the lack of forward tilt. When you tilt from the back you change image shape. When you drop the bed then the camera dictates camera position, not the photographer. You really can't replace the lack of the forward tilting lens board. Fortunately that is on all of the later models.

Ah yes, that would cause a bit of distortion it sounds like.

DrTang
21-Jan-2016, 14:38
buy Chinese bellows from ebay for tech 3 - 100 bucks, install yourself...

then shoot with the camera until you find a parts tech 3 with the parts you need for like 100-150

swap parts

you're good for another 25 years

Bob Salomon
21-Jan-2016, 14:41
buy Chinese bellows from ebay for tech 3 - 100 bucks, install yourself...

then shoot with the camera until you find a parts tech 3 with the parts you need for like 100-150

swap parts

you're good for another 25 years

Unless he needs boards, ground glass, Frenels or repair parts. And he still doesn't have front tilts. So why waste money on a quick fix?

Stephen Thomason
21-Jan-2016, 18:18
The CLA for the shutter sounds about right. I would order the bellows from one of the vendors that specializes in making them and install them yourself. It's not that difficult. Would save a bunch of money to put toward more glass.

jbenedict
21-Jan-2016, 19:39
Unless he needs boards, ground glass, Frenels or repair parts. And he still doesn't have front tilts. So why waste money on a quick fix?

It might depend on the needs of the user. If the only thing that is hindering the owner's use of this camera is a leaky bellows, getting a Chinese bellows and installing it himself will be perfectly fine.

So, he's back in business for $100. He can shoot this camera until he finds a IV or newer in the right condition for the right price.

Sirius Glass
21-Jan-2016, 20:58
Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum

lbb4x5
21-Jan-2016, 22:38

Fair assessment - the ground glass should be OK since I replaced it when I bought the camera. I appreciate the quick fix advice but it's looking more like take the camera as it is and look for another one down the line.

lbb4x5
21-Jan-2016, 22:39
Thank you! It's great to be participating a bit - I've been browsing the forums for years now. I find it interesting to watch conversations like this - I've learned so much reading through threads.

lbb4x5
21-Jan-2016, 22:40
It might depend on the needs of the user. If the only thing that is hindering the owner's use of this camera is a leaky bellows, getting a Chinese bellows and installing it himself will be perfectly fine.

So, he's back in business for $100. He can shoot this camera until he finds a IV or newer in the right condition for the right price.

That's fair - I could look into the Chinese bellows as a temp fix for a reasonable price... hm

lbb4x5
21-Jan-2016, 22:41
The CLA for the shutter sounds about right. I would order the bellows from one of the vendors that specializes in making them and install them yourself. It's not that difficult. Would save a bunch of money to put toward more glass.

It looks like the bellows may be worthwhile doing on my own - I turned them down for the CLA at first... that one seemed to make the most sense to me, too, Stephen. I understand CLAs on equipment - the price that caught me off guard was the bellows and everything else. Thanks for replying!