PDA

View Full Version : Fuji chrome and Fuji Hunt 6x 5 liter kits

Duolab123
14-Jan-2016, 18:36
Ok, the time has come to see whose still serious about reversal film. Americans finally have the option of buying a 5L 7 bath Fuji kit. 200 dollars plus shipping for a kit that will process 40 rolls of 120 or 36exp 35mm. The Tetenal 4 bath kit with the dreaded Blix,same capacity 1/2 the price. Quick calculation if you shot 120 2 1/4 square that's around $1.10 per image ,figuring film at 8 bucks a roll.
I love chromes, I still go out every fall with my incident light meter in hand and shoot a half dozen rolls, I even mount some and project from my Kindermann projector and listen to my wife ohh and ahh.
I've had good luck with the Tetenal kit, I divide it into smaller bottles and get all the good out it....

Having said this I'm dying to get my hands on the fuji kit, part of doing my own processing is being a nut about fussing over every detail and having as many steps as possible!!!

Now I just need to figure out how to pay for the kit and still afford the film😀

BEST MIKE

vinny
14-Jan-2016, 18:57
Not worth it.

Duolab123
14-Jan-2016, 19:31
Not worth it.

I know that but it looks like so darn much fun!

koraks
15-Jan-2016, 02:39
It sure is fun and it's definitely worth it for sheet film! But roll film I can get developed for significantly less at my local photo service...as long as it keeps going!

Corran
15-Jan-2016, 07:38
I know that but it looks like so darn much fun!

I'd rather be shooting than stewing in the darkroom longer processing film.

I'm sticking with the Tetenal. It's worked perfectly for years now so no reason to change.

vinny
15-Jan-2016, 07:46
I'd rather be shooting than stewing in the darkroom longer processing film.

I'm sticking with the Tetenal. It's worked perfectly for years now so no reason to change.

what he said.

Duolab123
15-Jan-2016, 18:20
I hear what you al are saying, I'm still using up a Tetenal 5 L kit, 4x5 and roll Fujichrome. Never had a problem. I used the Kodak 5L kits for years, loved it. It's gonna be hard for me to spring for the Fuji kit. We lost our last E-6 lab in this part of the country a couple years ago. When I'm out of what I've got I will probably buy another Tetenal kit, or more likely just shoot C-41, it's easy to print, has more latitude etc. The demise of Cibachrome takes alot of the fun out of reversal film for me.

vinny
15-Jan-2016, 19:30
I paid $50 each for the last two kodak kits I bought. That wasn't that many years ago. 4x the price for the same chemicals. Have these chemicals suddenly gotten rare? Fuji just doesn't care and Freestyle couldn't have managed a better price?
When I researched this a year or so ago, I could order them 1 by 1 from europe for less than that and most of that was freight.

Duolab123
16-Jan-2016, 19:32
I paid $50 each for the last two kodak kits I bought. That wasn't that many years ago. 4x the price for the same chemicals. Have these chemicals suddenly gotten rare? Fuji just doesn't care and Freestyle couldn't have managed a better price?
When I researched this a year or so ago, I could order them 1 by 1 from europe for less than that and most of that was freight.

The 50 dollar price is about what I paid through one of my local shops, He still processes C-41 and RA-4 and hooks me up with the good stuff without me having to buy it in 50 gallon drums. I'm going to look into Buying larger quantities through Fuji Hunt and Kodak Alaris, maybe this is a sort of Kickstarter type of deal, It's simple enough to divide liquids and blanket with N2. In the end I'm sure I will either buy the Tetenal kits or throw in the towel. If the government wanted to save something instead of cash for clunkers WE should have put Polaroid and film on life support we are losing an incredible technology that can't be recreated!

The USA is buying rocket engines from Russia because some genius decided that was the cheapest way to go now the US is trying to play catch up, better now tick off Vlad:-)
Crazy! It's almost like Fuji wants people to give up on Fujichrome??
Mike

vinny
16-Jan-2016, 20:29
Trebla. Don't forget about them. Likely easier than getting fuji.

Duolab123
17-Jan-2016, 17:23
I just ordered some C-41 Kodak Chemistry from Unique photo. Unique doesn't make you buy case quantities, I'm gonna split the concentrates into smaller bottles make up a liter at a time and replenish. I got 5 liters of each solution for 100 bucks, (works out to about buck a roll for135-36, 120 or 25 cents a sheet for 4x5) plus 20 bucks shipping and that's buying two bottles of starter. I'm thinking I will probably be shooting less and less Reversal. Tetenal looks like the easiest way to go for E-6. I love chrome, I guess I'll see how long I can go without it:-) Mike