PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Outdoors With a Barrel Lens.

Smitty
12-Jan-2016, 09:22
How do you control exposure with a barrel lens especially if you want to use a lens wide open? Late in the day?

Steve

Drew Wiley
12-Jan-2016, 09:36
Hopefully by buying a shutter for the lens and installing it! Alas, one of my favorite lenses is a barrel tessar that I haven't bought a shutter for yet, so I use relatively slow film 8x10 like FP4 or ACROS, along with either a deep red 29 filter or deep blue 47, depending on what I'm trying to do with shadows. That typically
slows me down to 6 or 8 seconds, and allows the lenscap method of exposure. You obviously want a cap that can be removed quite easily but is also light tight.
I was shocked the first time I did this, because the negative came out completely sharp. A very stable camera and tripod too. Now that I've gotten better at it,
I pull some tricks like stationing the camera behind a tree as a windbreak, but shooting mixed scenes of wind-blown grass combined with immobile rocks etc.
The blue filter opens up the shadows and sky much like old 19th C blue-sensitive films. One more toy in the toolbox.

Smitty
12-Jan-2016, 09:44
Thanks,
Just got off the phone with Grimes, told me that the lens is too big for a shutter. They can make a flange and I will probably need to use a Packard shutter.

vinny
12-Jan-2016, 09:44
sinar shutter
packard shutter
camera with rear curtain shutter
neutral density filter
dark slide as shutter

Sirius Glass
12-Jan-2016, 11:33
I use something called a focal plane shutter and the f/stop of my choosing.

IanG
12-Jan-2016, 12:23
sinar shutter
packard shutter
camera with rear curtain shutter
neutral density filter
dark slide as shutter

You missed a Thornton Pickard or similar roller blind shutter, I have one or two (well maybe 50+) :D

There's two types, the original which was design to be fitted to the front of a barrel lens and then the Between lens type which is screwed to the lens board and the lens fitted to a removable front panel allowing the use of more than one lens. They came in a variety of sizes but the larger diameter shutters are a lot rarer. B&J were the US importer, Kodak Ltd used to sell them in their Professional stores in the UK. They were made up until the very late 1950's long after the TP Ltd company had ceased trading by a workshop which continued trading as Thornton Pickard.

Ian

Sirius Glass
12-Jan-2016, 13:02
A hat

Tin Can
12-Jan-2016, 13:54
and http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/22200-jim-galli-shutter-barrel-lenses-drum-roll-please.html

That is the Galli shutter link.

Jim Noel
12-Jan-2016, 14:05
I use a front mounted Packard shutter, or for the really large lenses, a Galli shutter. Look up Jim Galli on here or the web in general.

Two23
12-Jan-2016, 17:20
I use very slow film, Efke 25 with my Petzvals, along with up to 8 stops of ND filter held in front of the lens (and a black glove on my had as "shutter".) I have a Packard shutter but it's something like 1/25s--still pretty "fast" in daylight. My favorite solution is to simply shoot at night.

Kent in SD

Jim Galli
12-Jan-2016, 17:25
Steve, what is the lens? Curious. Packard shutters are your friend. A repeatable 1/25th and then you have to do the rest. Slow film, etc. A page about Packards at my web pages.

jp
12-Jan-2016, 17:31
I use a speed graphic to control shutter speed. 30 steps between 1/10 and 1/1000 is nice.

I don't often have need for movements, but if you did a Sinar and Sinar shutter would be good. People also mount Sinar shutters to other camera systems.

Lacking that, after sundown can be a good time to shoot. Sky is still bright but no strong shadows and it's not dark yet.

Oren Grad
12-Jan-2016, 18:32
Another option in principle is a Luc or Gitzo front-mount shutter, though those tend to be difficult to find in large sizes.

Smitty
12-Jan-2016, 19:51
Jim,
Cooke 10.5 portrait with soft focus.

Steve

Smitty
12-Jan-2016, 19:54
I am getting the idea that this is a whole new ballgame. In the learning curve.;-)

Jim Galli
12-Jan-2016, 19:56
Jim,
Cooke 10.5 portrait with soft focus.

Steve

Ah! A truely lovely lens. With a Packard you'll be able to shoot wide open with 100 ASA film in open shade. It would be a crime to mount that in a shutter. Never never never.

desertrat
13-Jan-2016, 09:59
If you want to make lens cap exposures, you can use a red blind ortho film and orange or red filter in front of the lens.

This will let in enough light to focus, and will slow down the film to where a lens cap exposure of a second or two will work.

I tried this with a wide open projection petzval, an orange filter, and VC paper for the negative.

For faster ortho films, a red filter might work, based on the principle that a red filter should let in just a little light of the shorter wavelengths that the film is sensitive to.

A fair amount of trial and error testing would be required.

Smitty
13-Jan-2016, 10:35
It had looked to me as though there was not a Packard shutter with large enough opening to handle the Cooke 10.5.. Grimes said the lens is too big for a shutter anyway.
Lensboard on my 4x5 is 4", Packard shutters seem larger than that..?
Steve

Jim Galli
13-Jan-2016, 10:46
It had looked to me as though there was not a Packard shutter with large enough opening to handle the Cooke 10.5.. Grimes said the lens is too big for a shutter anyway.
Lensboard on my 4x5 is 4", Packard shutters seem larger than that..?
Steve

Get a Packard with large enough aperture and front mount it to the lens with a sleeve attached to the Packard that slides over the front of the lens.

Dan Fromm
13-Jan-2016, 10:46
Um, Packards are available with openings up to 8". See http://www.packardshutter.com/

If you've got the money, honey, they've got the shutter.

William Whitaker
13-Jan-2016, 10:50
A Packard shutter can be front mounted. Reinhold Schable (http://re-inventedphotoequip.com/Shutters.html) did a marvelous job mounting a big Packard to the front of my 16-18 Graf Anastigmat. That lens has a front light 5" across. Finding a shutter big enough for your Cooke should be no problem.

Emil Schildt
13-Jan-2016, 11:03
I have this Norka barn dorr shutter - rather big...

and then a student of mine looked at it and made him self a MUCH bigger version which worked as a charm...

8x10 user
13-Jan-2016, 11:04
Your cooke will fit rear mounted in a no 5 shutter. The adapter that I had to adapt mine was about half an inch thick (all around) so the no 5 shutter is about an inch wider then what is required.

The 10.5 might also fit a no 4, and can be used with the sinar behind the lens shutter as mentioned.

My 5x7 is set up with an internal packard and I use a ND filter and processing to tame the surplus of light at large apertures.

8x10 user
13-Jan-2016, 11:05
You guys ever see those eyelid shutters... Those a very fun looking.

IanG
13-Jan-2016, 12:10
I have this Norka barn dorr shutter - rather big...

and then a student of mine looked at it and made him self a MUCH bigger version which worked as a charm...

I have one as well, interesting shutters. Another shutter sold by Kodak Ltd in the UK.

Ian

Smitty
13-Jan-2016, 13:37
Oh wow, didn't know about the Packard company. Thought one would need to fine an old shutter and go with it.

Steve

seezee
13-Jan-2016, 14:25
Oh wow, didn't know about the Packard company. Thought one would need to fine an old shutter and go with it.

Steve

I bought an used 80s vintage one from a company in Canada and mounted it to the front of my no-name Petzval using this method (https://scottperryphoto.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/mounting-a-packard-shutter-externally/). They are also plentiful on fleaBay. Just make sure you get the #6 with the "Instant" function (actuated by pushing in a pin), not the #5.

In constructing my mount, I used 2mm thick PVC instead of thin plywood for the part that slides into the holder. I might try masonite next time as the PVC is a little flimsy. I'd avoid plywood because it will tend to swell or warp as humidity & temperature change & could affect the fit. Ideally the whole thing should be constructed of man-made materials to keep things fitting as the weather changes.