PDA

View Full Version : Ilex Shutter Question

Smitty
10-Jan-2016, 14:50
I have tried a couple of different cable releases on 2 different Ilex 5 shutters. I push the button and the shutter does not fire until I let my finger off the cable release, kind of on the release rather than when I push the shutter. Is this normal or do my shutters need to head into the shop?

Thanks, Steve

mdarnton
10-Jan-2016, 15:11
They require a very long throw release. Many more normal cables won't do it. Try using the shortest release you have, and hold the cable straight. This minimizes length loss, and sometimes work with releases that won't quite do it otherwise. None of my Ilex shutters will work with a release longer than 18" because the springiness of things loses effective length of the pushy thing on the end. Prontor releases are often long-throw, if you can find one, and I've had good luck with $3 Chinese releases on Ebay--the thick black ones with two ears under the plunger.

Buying from photos, look for a long plunger. That usually means the other end will stick out long, too.

karl french
10-Jan-2016, 16:12
The older Prontor shutter releases work quite well in this regard. Just picked up 2 on ebay over the last month for use with my Ilex No. 5 shutters.

Alan Gales
10-Jan-2016, 18:21
The older Prontor shutter releases work quite well in this regard. Just picked up 2 on ebay over the last month for use with my Ilex No. 5 shutters.

That's what I use as well.

Smitty
10-Jan-2016, 19:13
Just picked up a Prontor, see if that solves the problem. I have an Ilex 4 that is no problem, it is with the 5 shutter. Funny thing is I had lenses with Ilex 5 shutters years ago and I don't recall have any problems with them..
Shutters seem to be working ok if I fire them by hand, except the preview lever is not working on one of them.

Steve

SMBooth
10-Jan-2016, 20:23
The Gepe shutter releases work on a Ilex 5 shutter.

Smitty
11-Jan-2016, 05:13
I saw those as well as Linhof releases and looked to have a long reach.