PDA

View Full Version : IR Goggles

LotusEsp
10-Jan-2016, 08:36
I picked up a really cheap kid's night vision goggle to try out and was surprised how well it worked for a darkroom scenario.

I would really like to use IR for my developing process. the only issue I have, is that there is a zoom on the goggle. I dont mind having to manually focus them, or that it has quite a small screen. Its more that I am viewing too close up, so I'm getting a pretty clear view of my fingertips when I really want to see at least my entire hands :)

What I really want, is a google/goggles which have 1x zoom

Do these exist (without costing a fortune?)

A_Tabor
10-Jan-2016, 09:34
That's a good question, and I'm curious about a cheap off the shelf option that would work well for this kind of thing.

How cheap are ones you have now? Cheap enough that you can rip them apart and rebuild them?

I've been thinking about possibly doing a black box setup with something like that, based on a friend's setup in the research lab he works in when they're dealing with photosensitive materials. Not exactly the kind of thing you're probably looking for, but might be an option to consider if your workspace and flow would allow for the confinement.

Kind of like the 'glove boxes' used for dealing with bio-hazard kind of things, but the walls and gloves are all light-safe. They have a camera mounted in the top and you look through a screen mounted at a comfortable height. It was a little weird to work with at first, but I've found them easy enough to get used to for doing some basic chemistry work. (And I find there is something to be said for working in a fully lit environment.) Their boxes they have also have a few modes, IR, UV, and sonic 3D scanner, which was kind of neat.

Michael Kadillak
10-Jan-2016, 10:21
My advice is to test for the non-IR red glow or screen illuminations light sources for which sheet film is fog susceptible. I have been using this technology for seven years in the darkroom and could not imagine going with out its assistance.

Bill Burk
10-Jan-2016, 11:04
The ATN Viper is a first generation unit that is small and not extremely expensive.

I have not tried the rubberized newer model. The older smooth black anodized one with headgear is the one that I find useful in the darkroom.

A quick search on eBay shows several are available, a price of under 200 dollars would seem reasonable to me.

The deep red light is visible to human eye, but seems to not affect film.

I've tested it for safety 15 minutes with TMY-2. I believe that the spectral characteristics of this film (sharp drop-off of red sensitivity on TMY-2) is partially responsible for the surprising safety even though you can see the light. I would test with other 400 speed films or any film with extended red sensitivity. Obviously you would not use it with IR film.

I added attenuation (2 stops to make it safe to 60 minutes) over the light source, because you don't need to light up a deer on the other side of the creek.

Michael Kadillak
10-Jan-2016, 11:21
The ATN Viper is a first generation unit that is small and not extremely expensive.

I have not tried the rubberized newer model. The older smooth black anodized one with headgear is the one that I find useful in the darkroom.

A quick search on eBay shows several are available, a price of under 200 dollars would seem reasonable to me.

The deep red light is visible to human eye, but seems to not affect film.

I've tested it for safety 15 minutes with TMY-2. I believe that the spectral characteristics of this film (sharp drop-off of red sensitivity on TMY-2) is partially responsible for the surprising safety even though you can see the light. I would test with other 400 speed films or any film with extended red sensitivity. Obviously you would not use it with IR film.

I added attenuation (2 stops to make it safe to 60 minutes) over the light source, because you don't need to light up a deer on the other side of the creek.

The important fact here is that you tested the film and confirmed that it does not impact your results. My older IR monocle red glow from the IR light source when exposed to sheet film at a bit less than arms length fogged the crap out of TMY and FP4 at normal developing times. That is why I have never since powered this part of the monocle up and use an external IR light bank and bounce it off of an adjacent wall. Only IR light reflects off so it is safe. I have a light switch that turns on a similar IR light bank and I put a $1 Walmart diffused globe over it and that gives me a more effective light source on the other side of the sheet film. Works like a champ.

resummerfield
10-Jan-2016, 11:40
....use an external IR light bank and bounce it off of an adjacent wall. Only IR light reflects off so it is safe.....

I do the same, using a Kodak "bullet" safelight with a small bulb and an 87C filter, set to bounce off the wall behind me. The entire room is lit in a dim glow from a distant IR lamp, and I only use the IR receiver on my Viper. I have never had a problem with ISO 400 film and tray development.

Carl J
11-Jan-2016, 23:00
The important fact here is that you tested the film and confirmed that it does not impact your results. My older IR monocle red glow from the IR light source when exposed to sheet film at a bit less than arms length fogged the crap out of TMY and FP4 at normal developing times. That is why I have never since powered this part of the monocle up and use an external IR light bank and bounce it off of an adjacent wall. Only IR light reflects off so it is safe. I have a light switch that turns on a similar IR light bank and I put a $1 Walmart diffused globe over it and that gives me a more effective light source on the other side of the sheet film. Works like a champ.

Michael, what kind/size of infrared light bank do you use? More economical than the bullet safelight and 87C filter, perhaps?

MrFujicaman
12-Jan-2016, 14:19
Amazon has all kinds of IR light sources listed.

Drew Wiley
12-Jan-2016, 14:49
"Will not affect film"? Anybody try something like this for RA4 color paper yet? That's what I'm interested to find out. I wouldn't buy anything really cheap because
it would unquestionably contain pthalate plasticizers in the vinyl components and lead to skin rash.

Michael Kadillak
12-Jan-2016, 14:50
Michael, what kind/size of infrared light bank do you use? More economical than the bullet safelight and 87C filter, perhaps?

It is a 21 or 24 mini IR LED security light bank in a circle maybe 3 or 4"". Amazon or any other number of re-sellers provides them. They plug into the standard electrical socket. Provides more than ample IR illumination for my needs with semi stand development in tubes, in trays or with my gas burst system.

Carl J
12-Jan-2016, 15:39
It is a 21 or 24 mini IR LED security light bank in a circle maybe 3 or 4"". Amazon or any other number of re-sellers provides them. They plug into the standard electrical socket. Provides more than ample IR illumination for my needs with semi stand development in tubes, in trays or with my gas burst system.

Thanks, Michael, that's super helpful.

Duolab123
13-Jan-2016, 22:45
I use Jakks Pacific Spy Net toy goggles. These are about 60 bucks kids toy (even though I'm 59 I still act like a 12 yr old) I bungee them to my head. Yes the have a very narrow viewing angle. I primarily use the for loading roll and sheet film reels, sit at a table and don't move around. Zero depth perception, you get used to it. Two different sets of led illumination built in. One is dim red and would ruin film the other is true ir but is too bright for close work. I covered the built-in leds and put an IR flood led for security cameras in my Darkroom, I have it bouncing off a white wall, allows me to very easily load reels. The goggles fit over my prescription glasses. If it's hot and humid my glasses can fog but I am adding power ventilation from a battery powered aquarium air pump.
I would be lost without it, I've never had a bit of trouble with fogging e6 c41 or b&w. Not gonna try it with IR. Having a separate illumination source was the key for me otherwise the light is blinding and you can't see details, now I can read "British Made " on my Hewes reels and get those darn plastic panels on my Jobo 2509n reels.
Best Regards Mike

H Gloriant
14-Jan-2016, 01:16
I use Jakks Pacific Spy Net toy goggles.

Like me, and I removed the toy in order to hang the viewfinder on a helmet in order to have free hands
http://35mm-compact.com/album/albums/userpics/10687/jack_spy.jpg

Duolab123
14-Jan-2016, 17:16
Like me, and I removed the toy in order to hang the viewfinder on a helmet in order to have free hands
http://35mm-compact.com/album/albums/userpics/10687/jack_spy.jpg

Very Nice!! This would eliminate my glasses fogging up. Love IT!! If people still shot film Jobo or someone would put something together and charge 500 bucks a pop. Now that you have freed the camera and screen any thought to buying another pair and making a Stereo viewer :-) This gives me ambition to try to put an auxiliary wide angle on the lens, to much of a telescope. If someone can get 60 grand to make a 4x5 developing tank, I say Kickstarter!!! I'm not going to do it but the China price on the components must be less than 10 bucks. All the money is in the injection molding tools to make it marketable to children.