PDA

View Full Version : How do you work in LF with filters???

Dow
7-Jan-2016, 22:18
Hello to all,

first sorry my poor english.

I have been in the mountains a month ago first time with Lee filters (ND Graduated Hard 0.9) and a LF camera.

I used it following these steps:

- I compose through the GG, the lens at full aperture.

-I screw the filter holder and put the NDG, place it looking

through the GG

-I meter with a hand held meter.

-To close the lens shutter and put the f stop and shutter speed I

have to UNSCREW ALL the fllter because is imposible to just see the values

in the lens with the filter in place. (an old Schneider 8/75)

-I put the values in the lens (f and shutter)

-I screw again all the filter but, of course, it ends moved from the position I

saw trough the GG !

-If light change, all the process again.

Is it possible? Do you work in that manner?

I have been reading many hours the forums without an answer to that basic question.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Bill_1856
7-Jan-2016, 23:14
They put dots on Polarizing filters to assure how they'll be used. You can do the same with screw-in filters to allow them to be relocated if you have to move them.

LabRat
8-Jan-2016, 00:00
Like Bill said, some filters are marked...

Look at the rim of your filter, and see if there is a dot, arrow, UP, or something marked on it to show where the grad line is...

You can borrow a trick that is on some polarizers... Some are marked with more than a dot, but have numbers around the outside (like a clock)... You can make a tape label that goes around the outside of the filter with the #'s, and you would view the scene with the filter in your hand, then look at the number at the top of the ring, so when you screw on the filter, that # would be at the top on the lens...

Steve K

Bob Salomon
8-Jan-2016, 04:15
Like Bill said, some filters are marked...

Look at the rim of your filter, and see if there is a dot, arrow, UP, or something marked on it to show where the grad line is...

You can borrow a trick that is on some polarizers... Some are marked with more than a dot, but have numbers around the outside (like a clock)... You can make a tape label that goes around the outside of the filter with the #'s, and you would view the scene with the filter in your hand, then look at the number at the top of the ring, so when you screw on the filter, that # would be at the top on the lens...

Steve K

Not quite, you hold the pol to your eye and rotate it till you see the effect that you want. Then see where any of the numbers are. Put the filter on the camera and rotate the filter till that number is in the same position on the lens as it was when you were looking through it.

biedron
8-Jan-2016, 07:32
Daniel,

Perhaps we have different Lee GND filters - mine are rectangular in shape, (about 4"x6") and fit into slots in the Lee Filter holder. All the Lee filter holders I have are attached by a clasp - the holders themselves do not screw in. However, there is a ring sold by Lee that screws into the lens, and has a circular groove that the clasp on the filter holder fits into. Every different lens thread size requires a different ring, but the holder itself will fit all the rings. Removing/reattaching the filter holder (with filter in place as you set it to moderate the exposure) is then very quick. The only thing you have to take care with is the rotation angle of the filter holder. But the vertical placement of your GND is maintained. I find this very easy, and not nearly as difficult as you describe.

You can see the clasp I am speaking of if you go to (for example) the B&H Photo website and search for "Lee Foundation". Likewise, you can see the ring that the clasp attached to, and is screwed into the lens, by searching for "Lee adapter ring" on the same site. Lee also makes lens holders with the filter slots built in - IMHO this is much more convenient than a compendium hood, though probably not quite as adjustable as a compendium. I make it even easier on myself by having a Lee ring for each lens; they remain on my lenses at all times. Lee sells caps for the rings that will cover the lens when not in use. I have to say though, that the caps, unlike the other Lee components, are not well designed. Functional but not elegant.

Hope this helps

Bob

vinny
8-Jan-2016, 09:20
I use an opaque piece of plastic clipped to my grad filters that ends right on the transition line. I set the filter with that in place (with lens stopped down to shooting aperture). The filter stays on the lens hood.

Dow
12-Jan-2016, 09:18
Hello to all,

many thanks for your answers.

I can understand now the situation and what can I do.

I will do some experimentation with the solutions proposed and post in a days my conclusions.

Kind regards,

Daniel