PDA

View Full Version : Death Valley Lives!

Steve McKinney
7-Mar-2005, 23:35
Hi all,

Went to Death Valley this weekend. It's a favourite of mine, but right now it's like you've never seen it before. There's a real live lake at Badwater (and it's a big one) and the wildflowers are blooming out of control - spectacular! If you get a chance, go in the next few weeks, before it all dries up.

Check out this link (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-death8mar08,0,342608.story?coll=la-home-headlineslink) in which my PE and I make a brief cameo appearance ;)

Steve

QT Luong
8-Mar-2005, 00:46
I'll be there later in the week. Anyone else going ?

Doug Meek
8-Mar-2005, 06:50
I just got back after 4 days there. Going back next week for another 5. It was truly spectacular, with the main bloom presently down south of Badwater to Jubilee Pass. The rangers told me that ths southern part of the park has been in bloom for 3 weeks now. The northern and higher elevations should start coming around shortly. I met Jack Dykinga in a remote area last Thursday - quite a thrill for me. He had just dropped off his prints at the Mountain Light Gallery in Bishop for his upcoming display.

Capricious breezes were my biggest enemy, especially when wildflowers were involved. But patience truly proved to be a virtue. The bloom in the south is presently dominated by fields of Desert Gold. In some areas purple Phacelias (don't touch these) are mixed in with them - absolutely beautiful. Lots of large format cameras to be seen. Make sure you get up early to do your shooting. The winds will be much more still and even more importantly, you won't have to wait for the hordes of photographers to get out of the middle of the field of wildflowers you're trying to shoot. 4:00am was my standard rising time and it paid off. Good luck and great shooting to those of you who are going!

derek regensburger
8-Mar-2005, 09:24
I will be there March 16-17. Then heading to Joshua Tree and Tuscon area. Hopefully, I will see some wildflowers and some of you all. Cross my fingers for no wind or rain.

Michael Gordon
8-Mar-2005, 09:59
Don't get your hopes up for Joshua Tree. Nothing is currently happening worth discussing, and it's rare to find widlflower displays at Joshua Tree worth burning a sheet of film on.

Michael
www.mgordonphotography.com

Frank Petronio
8-Mar-2005, 10:28
I just got back from Joshua Tree (photographed on Sunday). The flowers were out in the Cottonwood Basin, but not knowing Death Valley I can only speculate that it is better up there... The flowers were very nice but not the dramatic fields I often see in the postcardy photos. More subtle.

Maybe next year I can get to DV and compare!?

Bruce Watson
8-Mar-2005, 11:32
Don't get your hopes up for Joshua Tree? Them's fightin' words! ;-)

While I wouldn't make a trip to Joshua Tree specifically for wild flowers, I must say that the wild flowers pale in comparison to the beautiful rocks, and the shapes of the Joshua Trees themselves.

BTW, the Joshua Trees traditionally bloom in April, IIRC.

Michael Gordon
8-Mar-2005, 11:44
Bruce: don't take me wrong; I love Joshua Tree and have cumulatively spent one helluva lot of time there hiking, climbing, exploring, and photographing (was there last weekend, in fact). I'm just trying to temper the wildflower web hype that appears this time each year with a dose of big camera reality. I too love the formations, mountains, trees, et al, but unless you do the macro thing, the wildflower 'displays' IMO are rarely worth more attention than a cursory 35mm snapshot.

www.mgordonphotography.com

Doug Meek
8-Mar-2005, 13:56
Michael -

Well said. I couldn't agree with you more.

Duane Polcou
9-Mar-2005, 00:38
Wildflowers?!! If anyone wants to come out to NJ the "wild icicles" are in bloom. It's 20 degrees outside.

Frank Petronio
9-Mar-2005, 04:34
http://www.cleanpage.com/socal/images/d70_joshuatree.jpg

Sunday afternoon, March 6, 2005, Cottonwood Canyon, Joshua Tree NP, 100 yds from the main road. Better photos coming, this is just a digital snap...