PDA

View Full Version : Shooting the Verito

Smitty
4-Jan-2016, 21:56
Trying to get my head around shooting with a barrel lens, the 14.5 is much too large for a shutter. Is this lens relegated to the studio where light can be controlled? How would one use this lens outdoors where exposure times are certain to be very short?
Thanks, Steve

Jim Fitzgerald
4-Jan-2016, 22:28
Steve I use mine on my 8 x 10 with a front mounted Packard Shutter and slow ISO 25 speed film. If you use faster film just add neutral density filters to the front mounted Packard. 4" Lee filters work great for this setup. Mine is in a barrel and I love it.

Smitty
4-Jan-2016, 22:55
Thanks Jim,

I had actually just been watching one of your videos on Youtube. Used to work in platinum and gum but got away from it and went in the direction of digital. Just entering back into the non-silver processes. Carbon looks kind of nice.
I will look for a Packard, they come in different sizes? I have also read that the many leaves found in a barrel lens render a nice bokeh?

Steve

Smitty
4-Jan-2016, 23:13
Jim,
My Verito has a Studio No. 4 shutter. That would mean I don't need the Packard?
Steve

Jim Fitzgerald
5-Jan-2016, 02:44
Steve, Packards come in various sizes and yes you would not need one if you have a working studio shutter. I've never owned a studio shutter but I believe they have a speed to them plus open and closed. I hope someone else chimes in on the shutter part.

Smitty
5-Jan-2016, 05:29
Here is a thread I found related to Studio Shutters: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?3603-Studio-Shutter