PDA

View Full Version : When did Schneider move from uncoated to single coated?

MAubrey
3-Jan-2016, 14:21
When did Schneider move from uncoated to single coated?

Schnieder provides info, dates, and serial numbers for the switch from single to multi-coating, but I can't find any information for the original change.

Specifically, I'm wondering when the (not super) angulons went from uncoated to single coated.

EdSawyer
3-Jan-2016, 21:04
sometime before the 3-million serial numbers, that's the oldest Schneider lens I happen to have (and it's single coated). You can easily tell by looking if you have the lens(es) in question in hand.

IanG
4-Jan-2016, 03:34
When did Schneider move from uncoated to single coated?

Schnieder provides info, dates, and serial numbers for the switch from single to multi-coating, but I can't find any information for the original change.

Specifically, I'm wondering when the (not super) angulons went from uncoated to single coated.

The Angulons were redesigned along with other Schneider lenses to use new optical glasses after WWII I'm not sure the exact date and I think after that were all coated. With the 90mm f6.8 the size of the glass elements is slightly smaller as is the coverage, more prone to vignetting also, the old type had a thicker black front barrel.

I've just looked in some BJP Almanacs and the first mention of Schneider LF lenses after WWII is in the 1953 Alamanac (published late 19520) which ties in with the 3 million serial number. After WWII there was a shortage of German shutters, the Compur factory had been badly damaged, Kodak used Epsilon then Prontor shutters in Europe until Compur managed to regain a dominant position.

The first coated 90mm f6.8 Angulons have Schneider's red inverted Triangle coated symbol and that seem to appear around 1948/8 approx 2.1/2.2 million SN but the symbol was soon dropped as all new Schneider LF lenses were coated

Ian

MAubrey
4-Jan-2016, 12:06
Thanks guys.

Mick Fagan
4-Jan-2016, 23:23
The Angulons were redesigned along with other Schneider lenses to use new optical glasses after WWII I'm not sure the exact date and I think after that were all coated. With the 90mm f6.8 the size of the glass elements is slightly smaller as is the coverage, more prone to vignetting also, the old type had a thicker black front barrel.

I've just looked in some BJP Almanacs and the first mention of Schneider LF lenses after WWII is in the 1953 Alamanac (published late 19520) which ties in with the 3 million serial number. After WWII there was a shortage of German shutters, the Compur factory had been badly damaged, Kodak used Epsilon then Prontor shutters in Europe until Compur managed to regain a dominant position.

The first coated 90mm f6.8 Angulons have Schneider's red inverted Triangle coated symbol and that seem to appear around 1948/8 approx 2.1/2.2 million SN but the symbol was soon dropped as all new Schneider LF lenses were coated

Ian

Interesting information about the red triangle, I wondered about that on my lens. This lens has a single coating and is reasonably good, coverage could be better on my 5x4" but so far I have lived with it. As you can see, it is 3 million and a bit, I think from memory I guestimated this to have been manufactured in the middle of 1953 going on the lens number.

Mick.

IanG
5-Jan-2016, 02:00
The red inverted Triangle was dropped by the end of the 1950's, I don't know the exact date but I have quite a few Schneider lenses and none have it.

There was some variation in coverage and performance of the early re-designed 90mm Angulons, this can be seen in the tests Kerry Thalman did a few years ago. The late Dean Jones (Razzledog) found that there was a variation in the cell spacing caused by out of spec shutters, he asked in a thread for people to provide the spacing og their shutters. He mentioned machining some shutters that were out of spec to give the correct spacing and that this greatly improved the performance of previously poor lenses.

Many state it's best to buy 90mm Angulons with SN's over 5 or6 million as by then Schneider had iron out the quality issue, that seems to be backed by my own experience, the first Angulon I bought in the 80's had the red Triangle and was in the between 3 & 4 million sn range it was slightly soft at all apertures, later I borrowed another which was a little better, however my current one is 6.74*.**** sn and quite a capable lens, I use it in Turkey/Greece often hand-held and it's sharp right to the corners at f22. There's no room for movements.

Ian