PDA

View Full Version : Schneider 240 lens

Mike Cockerham
7-Mar-2005, 08:01
Can someone give me some information about this lens SCHNEIDER - KREUZNACH XENAR 1:4,5/240 , such as coverage and if it will give enough room for movements on 8x10. Also what would this lens be worth in barrel form?

Thanks

Edward (Halifax,NS)
7-Mar-2005, 08:27
I don't know for sure but I doubt it will cover 8X10 without movements. The 210mm Xenar has about a 250mm image circle so I would expect the 240mm to come in under 300mm.

eric mac
7-Mar-2005, 08:33
Try this link

Schneider Optics (http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/xenar/)

Steve Hamley
7-Mar-2005, 08:58
Mike,

It is a Tessar design lens and will not cover 8x10 sharply, although it may illuminate the entire area. My Nikkor 200M (also a Tessar) will surprisingly illuminate the 8x10 'glass, but it's total mush an inch and a half from the edge, which agrees with Nikon's rating of 5x7 for this lens.

In barrel, they don't bring very much. I'd guess perfect coated ones might bring $75, if that much. They just don't have enough coverage to justify the cost of shutter mounting and there are plenty of cheap ones already in a shutter.

Steve

Ole Tjugen
7-Mar-2005, 11:26
The main problem with having that lens mounted in a shutter is that there are really only two options: An old Compound #4, or an only slightly less rare #5 electric.

Since it won't cover 8x10", I would give it a pass. If someone offered me one in barrel for $20 I might accept - and put it in a drawer with miscellaneous other odd lenses.

Mike Cockerham
7-Mar-2005, 11:40
Thnaks guys for the help. I think I'll pass on this one.