PDA

View Full Version : KMV & Deardorff back springs interchangeable?

ryanmills
31-Dec-2015, 11:11
I am judging this entirely by pictures so if anyone has tried this im wondering if it is an option. I have a 8x10 Kodak Master View and the back springs have gotten pretty worn, I have noticed that the spring style of 8x10 Deardorff v8 (and likely older) backs look to be identical. Even if the screw spacing was different it would be trivial to modify as long as the length was correct. Has anyone tried something like this on a Kodak Master View?

Jim Noel
31-Dec-2015, 12:12
I haven't tried the spring swap. I hae re-tempered springs with a 5 lb sledge and anvil.
Yours is not an riginal problem. I sold my KMV more than 30 years ago and the springs were weak then. My thought is they weren't heavy enough or tempered enough in the beginning.

ryanmills
31-Dec-2015, 12:27
What did you use to heat the springs and do you know what color to look for? Im tempted to try it as temp fix but im not sure how to get the right temperature. Did you cool in oil or salt water?

ryanmills
31-Dec-2015, 12:33
Also if someone out there has an 8x10 Deardorff v8 or similar. Could you measure the distance between the shackles where the springs sit? Does not need to be super .0001mm precise just a decent eyeball to see if its even close.

vinny
31-Dec-2015, 19:56
I made my springs from .031 stainless feeler guages I got at mcmaster car. They come in 12" lengths. U can bend them with pliers/vice grips if need be. Just need to drill holes.