PDA

View Full Version : Cable release for a Betax No. 3 shutter?

TRCPhoto
30-Dec-2015, 16:07
Hi all,

I have a Betax no.3 shutter without a cable and am curious what cable on the market might be compatible?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kevin Crisp
30-Dec-2015, 16:20
I've never needed anything other than a normal garden variety cable release on a Betax. Sometimes Alphax and Acme shutters won't work if the releasing plunger is on the short side, but most work.

TRCPhoto
30-Dec-2015, 16:25
I've never needed anything other than a normal garden variety cable release on a Betax. Sometimes Alphax and Acme shutters won't work if the releasing plunger is on the short side, but most work.

Killer, thanks! I figured worse comes to worse I'll take it down to the camera shop and test a few out...

Jim Andrada
31-Dec-2015, 00:17
If you can find an old Prontor release it will work in shutters that need a bit longer throw.

LabRat
31-Dec-2015, 00:38
The proper cable connector has a straight, not tapered thread... I have found some older Gitzo metal releases (that have long throw) that work well with the Betax...

A tapered release end might work, but there is only a thread or two would be engaged (so not so strong of a connection), and remember there is quite some pressure required to fire these self-cocking shutters, so damage to threads looms...

Steve K

Jim Andrada
31-Dec-2015, 01:32
I just happened to have a #3 Betax sitting on my desk so I threaded an old Prontor long throw tapered cable into it - works just fine and seems to be a very secure connection.

Bill_1856
31-Dec-2015, 02:37
Killer, thanks! I figured worse comes to worse I'll take it down to the camera shop and test a few out...

WOW! You've got a camera shop you can "go down to?" Congratulations.

ImSoNegative
31-Dec-2015, 06:46
WOW! You've got a camera shop you can "go down to?" Congratulations.
That's what I was thinking

Jac@stafford.net
31-Dec-2015, 07:24
I have the same experience as Steve K: there are only a couple threads holding the tapered one, and it does pop off if I'm not careful.

I had this on-disc. If it's accurate perhaps it can help.

Jim Jones
31-Dec-2015, 07:43
That straight thread is an American Standard Thread no. 5-44 NF-2.

mdarnton
31-Dec-2015, 07:52
I've never had a problem with a tapered one popping out. I'm hoping that if I turn it in tight enough, eventually I'll stretch the hole to tapered. :-) Someone should sell a tap and helicoil-type insert to modify these!

Anyway, some of the simpler Wollensak shutters require a wider tip on the movey part, and genuine Wolly releases have that, as mushroomed tip. Instead of pushing on something wide inside with a normal narrow pushy thing, the release is a thin piece of edgewise steel, and requires a wider pusher.

For my other Wollensak and Ilex self-setting shutters, I'm using cheap cheap ebay cables, the kind that are black, have a big plastic t-grip, and sell for around three bucks. The short ones, up to about 18", have enough travel, but the long ones don't unless you hold them straight. Prontor releases work, too but are too expensive.