PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to magnetize a shutter?

scheinfluger_77
30-Dec-2015, 09:07
I have an f8/90 Super Angulon that i want to use on my 4x5 Crown as well as experimenting on my 2D 5x7. It seems that the easiest thing to do is leave the lens on the Crown G. metal lensboard, then make a recessed lensboard for the 2D with magnets in the back to easily attach and detach the metal-mounted S.A.

After further thought this seems like a recipe for disaster. Has anyone had experience with inadvertently magnetizing a shutter? Do you think this problem could be averted by making a wood lensboard for the CG and then using the magnets in the adapted mount for the 5x7?

Bob Salomon
30-Dec-2015, 10:34
The disaster would be the lens falling off due to normal shocks and bumps in use. Why not get or make an adapter board? That is not all that difficult to do and is far more secure. And parralism between the lens and the film would be much better.

Old-N-Feeble
30-Dec-2015, 10:42
I agree with Bob. Buy the front standard from a Crown or Speed Graphic or a junk body and make an adapter board.

Tin Can
30-Dec-2015, 11:10
Just thinking out loud, again....

The new affordable neodymium magnets are small thin, precision made and so strong they can be very hard to remove. That's all good.

They may magnetize the whole shutter, but that may be no big deal, if the whole shutter is the same polarity, nothing, like shutter leaves would be attracted to each other. No sticking.

I'd love for you to report success with this idea.

Jac@stafford.net
30-Dec-2015, 11:22
They may magnetize the whole shutter, but that may be no big deal, if the whole shutter is the same polarity, nothing, like shutter leaves would be attracted to each other. No sticking.

I don't think that's the way it works. If the shutter leaves become magnetized, they will attract each other (for the same reason they would not repel each other - they are unified in polarity.) Of course, there are some shutters that have nonmagnetic composite leaves, but they are few, and usually in large shutters

Bob Salomon
30-Dec-2015, 11:31
I don't think that's the way it works. If the shutter leaves become magnetized, they will attract each other (for the same reason they would not repel each other - they are unified in polarity.) Of course, there are some shutters that have nonmagnetic composite leaves, but they are few, and usually in large shutters

The linear motor shutters in the Rollei PQS lenses used carbon fiber blades. These shutters were made in 0 and 1 sizes and gave speeds up to 1/1000. The current Rodenstock shutter also has non metallic blades and is a 0 size.

Jac@stafford.net
30-Dec-2015, 11:59
The linear motor shutters in the Rollei PQS lenses used carbon fiber blades. These shutters were made in 0 and 1 sizes and gave speeds up to 1/1000. The current Rodenstock shutter also has non metallic blades and is a 0 size.

I had no idea! That's good to know.

domaz
30-Dec-2015, 12:36
Have you tested that your Graflex lensboard are magnetic? I thought they were stamped aluminum, meaning not magnetic.

DrTang
30-Dec-2015, 13:11
make a 2D to 4x4 adapter board - - buy a speed/crown to 4x4 adapter

presto change-o

Jim Andrada
31-Dec-2015, 00:08
I've made my own wooden adapter boards to do the same thing with my Seneca and other cameras. It isn't hard IF you have basic woodworking tools/skills (or a friend with such) and aren't concerned with making it a thing of beauty.

And I just took a board off of my Crown and checked it and it is indeed non-magnetic. You could of course always glue a couple of magnets to the Crown board or glue a steel insert onto the face of the board so the board would be sandwiched between the magnet and the insert.

StoneNYC
31-Dec-2015, 01:35
Have you tested that your Graflex lensboard are magnetic? I thought they were stamped aluminum, meaning not magnetic.

+1

This was my thought as well.

scheinfluger_77
31-Dec-2015, 08:21
Y'all are correct, non magnetic. No problem I have a blank 2D board I'll cut and make a 1" recess for it, then rig some sort of friction attachment for the CG board.

--or--

I could secure some sort of ferrous plate to the inside back of the CG board and use the magnets.

David Lobato
31-Dec-2015, 13:07
Magnets may seem to be strong and powerful, however the magnetic force is inversely proportional to the distance between them. A sandwich of plates held with neodymium magnets may not be as strong as imagined. It's similar to the inverse square law for light, but with a different exponential power. Many times I have separated disk drive actuator magnets, a millimeter separation is enough to pull them easily apart.

Follow Bob Salomon's advice.