PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in New Jersey

TRCPhoto
28-Dec-2015, 21:32
Hello all!

I was recently given an Ansco Agfa 5x7 w/ a Wollensak Velostigmat Series Ia f-7.7 lens in a Betax No.3 shutter. I've never shot/owned anything larger than MF and am very excited (and hopeful!) to use this beauty soon.

The camera and lens seem to be in great condition on initial inspection, but only two of the five wooden film holders seem to be fully intact. I'm sure I'll be pounding the boards in no time with questions, but if anyone has any suggestions for me on getting started all will be much appreciated!

A friend suggested picking up Steve Simmon's book on using a view camera. Beyond that I think I'm going to search a few local shops for cheap expired stock and get used to loading and exposing film with this.

Lastly, I can't seem to find much information specific to this setup. Is there anything in the body that would give me a better indication of the age of the camera? I find a good bit on Velostigmat Series II and older, but not on the Ia?

Happy New Year to everybody!
TC

Sirius Glass
28-Dec-2015, 21:33
Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum

Alan Klein
28-Dec-2015, 21:42
Welcome to LF. I'm close by in Monroe Twp. But still shooting MF. Good luck with LF.

Tim Meisburger
29-Dec-2015, 06:01
Welcome to the forum. I cannot help with the camera, but I think they were made in the thirties. I could be wrong. For the holders, not sure what could be wrong with them, unless maybe they need to be re-taped. If you post a photo we can help (show us the camera too).

Might be hard to come up with cheap 5x7 film locally, but you can always order it from B&H or Freestyle. Otherwise, you might try shooting paper negatives to start.

You will have a lot of fun, I think. Just get away from the idea of capturing a decisive moment, and think more about building an image step by step; still life, portrait or landscape, they all require a deliberative process.

Cheers!

mdarnton
29-Dec-2015, 06:56
If it says both Agfa and Ansco, it's from between the late 1920s and 1942, when the company was taken over and the Agfa name removed. There's no way to precisely date them. Presumably it would be brass and lacquer finished. Features came and went without any obvious reason. Ones without front tilt were made through that period, though there would be a tendency for the no-front-tilt ones to be earlier. After 1942 there was a grey/chrome Deluxe model, then in the 50s the knobs went to plastic and all models turned grey. The last version had slotted stays for the back tilt instead of a sector, plastic knobs and grey color.

It was considered a fancy camera in its time, equal to Deardorff. They're real workhorses.

If you want to get started on the cheap, check out the several threads on using x-ray film. It's dirt cheap (40 cents per 8x10 sheet instead of $4--like 1975 prices!), and you can develop it under safelight. I was frozen with several LF cameras and no interest in using them until I discovered the x-ray option, and now I use nothing else.

Bob Salomon
29-Dec-2015, 07:13
If it says both Agfa and Ansco, it's from between the late 1920s and 1942, when the company was taken over and the Agfa name removed. There's no way to precisely date them. Presumably it would be brass and lacquer finished. Features came and went without any obvious reason. Ones without front tilt were made through that period, though there would be a tendency for the no-front-tilt ones to be earlier. After 1942 there was a grey/chrome Deluxe model, then in the 50s the knobs went to plastic and all models turned grey. The last version had slotted stays for the back tilt instead of a sector, plastic knobs and grey color.

It was considered a fancy camera in its time, equal to Deardorff. They're real workhorses.

If you want to get started on the cheap, check out the several threads on using x-ray film. It's dirt cheap (40 cents per 8x10 sheet instead of $4--like 1975 prices!), and you can develop it under safelight. I was frozen with several LF cameras and no interest in using them until I discovered the x-ray option, and now I use nothing else.

You sure about 1942? The war started, for the USA in 1941.

Dan Fromm
29-Dec-2015, 07:29
December, '41, Bob.

Tim Meisburger
29-Dec-2015, 07:34
If I recall correctly (maybe not) war was declared with Japan on December 9, 1941, and Germany a few days later, so its quite likely Ansco didn't divest itself of Agfa until early in '42, so that date could be correct. I guess I could google it, but too lazy...

Leszek Vogt
29-Dec-2015, 15:56
Welcome to the forum, TC. Agree with Michael, xray is pretty reasonable and you can play/practice on it....even do serious work with it. You could order 7x17 and in few slices you'll have (3) 5x7 sheets...from one. Can't say anything about the Ansco rig, but there are several here that use this camera.

Les

Peter Lewin
29-Dec-2015, 18:12
Welcome from about one hour north in Florham Park, near Morristown. While I'm not familiar with "historical" cameras, I've been in love with large format for over 30 years, so consider me an "in-state resource." As for the X-Ray film suggestion, my own instinct says to stick with regular film, so that your learning experience is with the same type of material you will be using going forward; X-Ray film has its own set of characteristics and processing needs.

One question I would consider is whether there are any 4x5 reducing backs readily (and cheaply) available for the Ansco, since 4x5 film is both more readily available, and less expensive, than 5x7.

Fotoguy20d
29-Dec-2015, 18:23
Greetings and welcome from Bergen County, although I work just a few minutes from Peter. Local shops? Are there any left around Princeton? The only one in my area seems to be Unique in Fairfield, and I don't think I've seen 5x7 film there. As was suggested, see if you can find/build a 4x5 back and go that route.

Dan

Dan Fromm
29-Dec-2015, 19:57
Le Camera still seems to be in Princeton, at any rate their site http://www.lecameraonline.com/ is still up. They closed their Cherry Hill store some time ago.

Le sometimes has LF gear, especially lenses.

Andrew O'Neill
29-Dec-2015, 21:36
Welcome to the forum, TC!

Bob Salomon
30-Dec-2015, 02:15
Welcome from about one hour north in Florham Park, near Morristown. While I'm not familiar with "historical" cameras, I've been in love with large format for over 30 years, so consider me an "in-state resource." As for the X-Ray film suggestion, my own instinct says to stick with regular film, so that your learning experience is with the same type of material you will be using going forward; X-Ray film has its own set of characteristics and processing needs.

One question I would consider is whether there are any 4x5 reducing backs readily (and cheaply) available for the Ansco, since 4x5 film is both more readily available, and less expensive, than 5x7.

Have you ever asked Gary at Florham Village Camera in Florham PARK?

Bob Salomon
30-Dec-2015, 02:17
Greetings and welcome from Bergen County, although I work just a few minutes from Peter. Local shops? Are there any left around Princeton? The only one in my area seems to be Unique in Fairfield, and I don't think I've seen 5x7 film there. As was suggested, see if you can find/build a 4x5 back and go that route.

Dan
Have you checked with Tom in Westwood? He frequently has in store picture galleries featuring local talent like George Tice.

TRCPhoto
30-Dec-2015, 10:18
Greetings all, much thanks for the warm welcome! I appreciate the advice and commentary. From what I've been able to find online the Anasco Agfa field cameras were made between 1925 to 1939, with the later models being the grey with plastic knobs.

I appreciate the heads up on X-ray film, but will stick with the devil I know for now and run some Ilford NP5 through it. I'll certainly be sure to post the results when I do.

Good to know there are others in Jersey to commiserate with. I haven't looked, but is there a meet up group or anything like that?

As for shops near me, there is both Allen's and New York Camera & Video in Bucks County, PA. Both about a 20-30 minute drive. Le Camera is much closer, but I'm not a fan of their store or the salesmen I've encountered there so I'll drive up to Unique to buy a roll of film before I'd darken the doorstep of Le Camera. Of course B&H and Adorama can deliver to me next day is need be, but I like to support the local guys when I can. I shoot a lot in Philly and really miss Calumet. There are a few lens rental places in Philly, but as far as I know no legit camera stores.... Hmmm, that may be a business opportunity! :)

Thanks again to all of you!

TRCPhoto
30-Dec-2015, 10:21
P.S. Here are a few images of the camera and lens

Bob Salomon
30-Dec-2015, 10:22
Greetings all, much thanks for the warm welcome! I appreciate the advice and commentary. From what I've been able to find online the Anasco Agfa field cameras were made between 1925 to 1939, with the later models being the grey with plastic knobs.

I appreciate the heads up on X-ray film, but will stick with the devil I know for now and run some Ilford NP5 through it. I'll certainly be sure to post the results when I do.

Good to know there are others in Jersey to commiserate with. I haven't looked, but is there a meet up group or anything like that?

As for shops near me, there is both Allen's and New York Camera & Video in Bucks County, PA. Both about a 20-30 minute drive. Le Camera is much closer, but I'm not a fan of their store or the salesmen I've encountered there so I'll drive up to Unique to buy a roll of film before I'd darken the doorstep of Le Camera. Of course B&H and Adorama can deliver to me next day is need be, but I like to support the local guys when I can. I shoot a lot in Philly and really miss Calumet. There are a few lens rental places in Philly, but as far as I know no legit camera stores.... Hmmm, that may be a business opportunity! :)

Thanks again to all of you!

Back in the 70s there were three really good stores near you, two in Princeton and one just outside. One was the Princeton University Bookstore, one was in the shopping center on 206 and the third was nearby, Ira's Tire and Camera Store. But those were in the good old days!

TRCPhoto
30-Dec-2015, 10:41
Ira's Tire and Camera?!!? That's an amazingly random combo, I love it.

Bob Salomon
30-Dec-2015, 11:28
Ira's Tire and Camera?!!? That's an amazingly random combo, I love it.

All of those stores, plus the ones still around, were my customers. When Ira first put in cameras there were two very strong dealers near him. One was the book store and the other was 47th Street Photo in NYC, remember this was 1980. One day I asked Ira why he decided to put in photo equipment and his answer was that "the tire industry was too competitive and he thought that he could be more profitable with photo equipment".
Unfortunately, within two years he had closed and a year or two later the book store closed the camera department.

mdarnton
30-Dec-2015, 11:38
Front doesn't focus! Thats a variation I havent seen before. I bet it's very early.

Pete Roody
30-Dec-2015, 11:50
TC,

Before you shoot make sure the bellows is light tight. Shine a light on them while looking inside for pinholes. You can still shoot with them but be sure to cover the bellows with a darkcloth when you expose film.

Pete