PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printing for Bellows Frames

asf
28-Dec-2015, 08:46
In looking for a rear frame for my Toyo 57G it was suggested 3D printing could be a good possibility

Does anyone here have any thoughts on this or any direction they could point me towards?

roger-wilco-66
28-Dec-2015, 08:58
Depends a bit on how that frame looks like and how it is stressed. And if it must be a precision part (a good 3D printer delivers < 0.1mm tolerance).
I have a 3d printer and did some things for my MF Mamiya gear.

If you don't have an own printer you can design the frame in a 3D Software that can export either in OBJ (Wavefront Object) or STL format, and have it printed by an online 3D printing service, if possible with ABS filament, not PLA.

Cheers,
Mark

Cheers,
Mark

vinny
28-Dec-2015, 08:58
I don't know if any type of plastic would be rigid enough. I'd go with machined aluminum if you have doubts.

asf
28-Dec-2015, 16:47
Thanks very much

The original frames are plastic (although they may have metal underneath

I do have a rear frame on one working bellows, that could be scanned but I have no idea how this works

As for metal fab that sounds like a good idea too - does anyone know a competent machinist who could do such a job?

Grimes?

vinny
28-Dec-2015, 16:50
Grime$ will make anything you like. It may cost you more than you paid for the camera.

asf
28-Dec-2015, 16:59
That's likely, I've asked and will hear back after the holidays

I have no idea the ballpark I'd be looking at for a 3D scan and print job

Even if I did get it scanned and printed I'd still need to figure out how to attach the bellows securely

So if anyone wants to step in now and sell me an original Toyo bellows set ...

asf
28-Dec-2015, 17:03
Here is the frame

LabRat
29-Dec-2015, 01:58
Toyo (MAC?) was selling new bellows (parts dept), as of a few years ago, and as I remember, they were reasonable...

Try that first...

Steve K

asf
29-Dec-2015, 02:15
MAC never sold the 57G

Toyo discontinued it so long ago there are no parts