PDA

View Full Version : Problem w/47mm Super Angulon XL

neil poulsen
28-Dec-2015, 08:20
I recently upgraded my 47mm S.A. to the XL version and am having a bit of a problem.

The lens came in its original box with an attachment or (flange?) that's supposed to fit over the rear of the lens. The rear lens cap fits onto this attachment.

The problem is that it's awkward and requires quite a bit of pressure to fasten this attachment to the rear of the lens, and even then, it doesn't want to stay attached. It's a little scary trying to fasten this attachment, because with the pressure required, it can slip. I sure don't want to scratch the surface of the rear element; yet, without this attachment, there's no way to cover the rear with the lens cap.

There's an "O"-Ring on this attachment that slips over the rear of the lens through three grooves. Perhaps I need to lubricate this ring? But, I wouldn't know what to use.

Any suggestions on dealing with fastening this rear attachment to the lens? :confused: Is there a cap available that can protect the rear of the lens without using this attachment?

EdSawyer
28-Dec-2015, 08:53
how about some pictures? my 47xl doesn't have any of that stuff, it sounds like. (I use it on a cambo wide so no real need for a rear lens cap in my case.

ic-racer
28-Dec-2015, 09:00
See if these guys can make a lenscap that fits over the rear element without the extra flange.
http://www.skgrimes.com/products/lens-caps

Jac@stafford.net
28-Dec-2015, 10:12
I think you got a packing mistake. The rear cap should be a simple slip-on.

Old-N-Feeble
28-Dec-2015, 10:55
The only SAXL I'm aware of that has a removable rear ring is the 90mm. I know it seems incredulous that something like this could happen but perhaps the seller accidentally swapped his 47mm and 90mm rear cells and sold you a mixed-up lens.

What's the diameter of the rear cell? Can you post a pic?

neil poulsen
28-Dec-2015, 13:38
The only SAXL I'm aware of that has a removable rear ring is the 90mm. I know it seems incredulous that something like this could happen but perhaps the seller accidentally swapped his 47mm and 90mm rear cells and sold you a mixed-up lens.

What's the diameter of the rear cell? Can you post a pic?

This may be the same for the 75mm XL. The dimensions are correct. There are no threads on the rear of this lens, so this device snaps on. It has threads, so I suspect it's meant to hold a behind the lens filter. Also, there are six, not just three grooves, meaning that the "O" ring is intended to grip in six locations.

I'll play with it a bit. Maybe if I stretch the "O" ring, it will be easier to attach. In the meantime, I'll find or order a proper lens cap and use that.

Kirk Gittings
28-Dec-2015, 14:33
I think you got a packing mistake. The rear cap should be a simple slip-on.

I agree. I sold mine a while ago but my new 47xl had a simple push on lens cap front and back.

Corran
28-Dec-2015, 14:50
This may be the same for the 75mm XL. The dimensions are correct. There are no threads on the rear of this lens, so this device snaps on. It has threads, so I suspect it's meant to hold a behind the lens filter. Also, there are six, not just three grooves, meaning that the "O" ring is intended to grip in six locations.

I'll play with it a bit. Maybe if I stretch the "O" ring, it will be easier to attach. In the meantime, I'll find or order a proper lens cap and use that.

Neither my 72mm XL or 47mm XL came with such a thing. I bought them used. My 90mm XL has the unscrewable rear barrel piece that OnF is talking about.

Weird.

Jac@stafford.net
28-Dec-2015, 15:31
It seems unlikely that a 47mm S-A would use a rear filter. It would be part of the optical design. I'm afraid you got a Frankenlens. Please let us how this works out - I am in the market for one, upgrading as you have.

Good luck!

Bob Salomon
28-Dec-2015, 15:54
Neil, was your lens originally sold by a camera manufacturer who may have modified the rear for a specific camera?

StoneNYC
29-Dec-2015, 11:44
A picture (or 4) is worth a thousand words.

senderoaburrido
23-Jan-2017, 17:13
Reviving this thread:

Does Schneider still make the rear cap for the 47mm SA XL? I have one without rear cap and have not been able to take it outside for exactly that reason. SK Grimes is my last resort, as their custom caps can be quite pricey. Already got a quote that raised my eyebrows.

Corran
23-Jan-2017, 17:23
My 47mm XL rear cap has a model number on the back - 223 / 54

Google search brought this up for $14, in stock:

https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=2144&IID=10250

Leszek Vogt
23-Jan-2017, 17:57
You could get Kaiser cap (B&H)...just like it with no name on the outside for 1/2 that price.

Les

Bob Salomon
24-Jan-2017, 05:54
You could get Kaiser cap (B&H)...just like it with no name on the outside for 1/2 that price.

Les

Just buy a 54mm push on cap from any camera store.

Thalmees
24-Jan-2017, 06:11
A picture (or 4) is worth a thousand words.
Yes, true for this purpose.

Corran
24-Jan-2017, 08:28
Yes, true for this purpose.

From the model number of 223/54, it would in fact seem like 54mm is the correct size, but the rear barrel measures 63.5mm across according to the technical drawings (I didn't pull out my calipers, but I assume Schneider is right!).

So, I would assume it's a 64mm push-on.

Rick McDonald
24-Jan-2017, 10:12
Corran is correct.
I pulled out my calipers and the rear barrel measures 63.58mm. The rear cap SN 223/54 has a 63.2 mm inner diameter.

For an oring lubricant, use Dow Corning DC4 or Parker Super Lube SLUBE884.

chassis
24-Jan-2017, 18:39
My 58mm SAXL has front and rear caps, easily applied.

neil poulsen
25-Jan-2017, 02:48
My 47mm XL rear cap has a model number on the back - 223 / 54

Google search brought this up for $14, in stock:

https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=2144&IID=10250

Excellent! Thanks.:)