PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 holders label slightly warped?

ryanmills
27-Dec-2015, 16:34
I just picked up 5 8x10 fidelity elite holders that look near new. The holders are perfectly flat but the plastic where the logo is at the top bows out slightly on all of them. it does not effect anything I can tell other than in my KMV the springs are bad and it does not quite seal. Im new to 8x10 and wondering if this is normal on holders or if I need to sell them for something else? It only takes a slight amount of pressure to seal it, in my 4x5 sinar back it would seal easy it just seems the KVM springs are really weak.

karl french
27-Dec-2015, 16:53
It's normal.

ryanmills
27-Dec-2015, 17:16
Thanks, hoping I can find someone who can make new springs. Thinking I might try to had a sort of shim over the top to add more pressure till I get something else sorted out.

It's normal.

StoneNYC
27-Dec-2015, 20:23
It's normal for plastic holders, that's why I only buy new wooden ones. Course wait till you know it's the format for you before you spend that money. Good luck with the springs.

ryanmills
27-Dec-2015, 23:27
I have been shooting 4x5 for a while, just wanted to go up to a larger camera. Yea sent a few emails on the springs but not much to be done till everyone's back from the holidays.

Jim Jones
28-Dec-2015, 08:10
Storing empty film holders without the dark slides inserted may reduce their tendency to warp. This should be done in a dust-free environment.

Jim Noel
28-Dec-2015, 08:28
I log ago got rid of all plastic 8x10 holders. I only use wooden ones with metal along the edge where the dark slide is inserted.

Bruce Barlow
28-Dec-2015, 09:15
Mine are as-described, but have never given me any problems...

Mark Sawyer
28-Dec-2015, 10:54
Disclaimer: I recently sold Ryan the KMV...

I've never had problems with my plastic holders leaking light, though the light trap does bow out a slight amount on most. I like the plastic holders because they seem less prone to dust than the older wooden ones, although many photographers I respect make the opposite choice!

Regarding the springs on the KMV, you can undo the two little machine screws that hold each side down and put a little more bend in them for more tension, (although it really doesn't take much, and too much makes it difficult to get the holders in and out). The KMV springs are slightly lighter weight than most, but I've never considered it an issue or heard of it causing problems.

ryanmills
28-Dec-2015, 14:07
I'm not sure wood ones are wise for me, i tend to work around water and damp locations but its something to think about.

Disclaimer: I recently sold Ryan the KMV...

I've never had problems with my plastic holders leaking light, though the light trap does bow out a slight amount on most. I like the plastic holders because they seem less prone to dust than the older wooden ones, although many photographers I respect make the opposite choice!

Regarding the springs on the KMV, you can undo the two little machine screws that hold each side down and put a little more bend in them for more tension, (although it really doesn't take much, and too much makes it difficult to get the holders in and out). The KMV springs are slightly lighter weight than most, but I've never considered it an issue or heard of it causing problems.

Yea, its slight. I have talked to a few people about just having them reformed. It would not take much tension to seat it correctly.