PDA

View Full Version : Filters on Turner Reich

redrockcoulee
24-Dec-2015, 08:05
Yesterday during some down time I made up a list of all the things gear wise I wanted and could easily afford for my multiple format photography gear. One was to have the ability to put filters onto my T_R 10 1/2/18/24 lens for our whole plate camera now that we have holders, film and such to use it. I read about slip on filters, glueing step up rings onto it etc. So I thought I would see what I had that could be used. The 49mm filters which I have many were to big to go into it of course and too small to slip over. I have a 52>58 step up adapter and that would sort of work but needed tape on the barrel for it to keep from sliding down. Then I remembered I had bought a 46>49 step up adapter so that I could put filters onto our Holgas and I have never done so. It threaded un almost perfectly, seems to stay on snuggly and is actually a little difficult to take off. So now I am going to get another one and just leave them on each end of the lenes. I have lots of 49mm filters due to being a Pentax shooter since the 70s and have all the step up rings to 58/67 adn 77 mm filters as well. And added bonus is that I now can put lens caps on the lens as 49mm lens caps are common , and I had one spare one so now to get the 46>49 adapter and 49 lens cap.

I think that everything for the system, including the 5X7 reducing back except for a couple of film sheaths and the 190 Wollensak lens were purchased off of this forum. Not sure if I should say thanks or not ;)

2016 should be the year of finally shooting lots of whole plate images, we have a box of FP4 and most of a box of 100 sheets of 14X17 X-fay film that cuts down nicely to either 5X7 or WP. The down side is I have to cut the images down to fit my Nikon medium format scanner :mad:

Anyone else have solutions to filters on these lenses. I think mine works out well and cheap and you can also get 46 to other size adapters for those who do not shoot Pentax.

LabRat
24-Dec-2015, 08:56
That will work...

Just make sure the rings/filter sit correctly on the lens, because sometimes with some FL's (usually longer) if ya shoot into a bright light, (like a sunset, or a very bright streetlight,) that slightly tilted filter might double that highlight due to internal reflection... (Done it!!!)

A lot of my old lenses happen to have the same barrel OD as the series 5,6,7,8 + 9 OD I collected over time, (but no adapter ring) so I taped them on, (until that got boring) and finally formed a sleeve for each lens out of rounded mattboard, that had slit ends, so it would slightly open, had a shoulder that would hold the filter down inside, and had a friction fit, or some velcro to hold it in a closed circle on the lens barrel... (plastic sheet or films would work too) Not a perfect solution, but it beat tape... Worked OK...

I will go OT to suggest to those who's DSLR lenses have plastic filter threads on the front, to get a decent filter that size, and remove the glass, carefully thread the ring on the lens and leave it there, so the plastic threads don't wear out after a few filter changes (like they do), and filters/hoods, etc thread on the metal ring...

Steve K

redrockcoulee
24-Dec-2015, 10:02
That will work...

Just make sure the rings/filter sit correctly on the lens, because sometimes with some FL's (usually longer) if ya shoot into a bright light, (like a sunset, or a very bright streetlight,) that slightly tilted filter might double that highlight due to internal reflection... (Done it!!!)

A lot of my old lenses happen to have the same barrel OD as the series 5,6,7,8 + 9 OD I collected over time, (but no adapter ring) so I taped them on, (until that got boring) and finally formed a sleeve for each lens out of rounded mattboard, that had slit ends, so it would slightly open, had a shoulder that would hold the filter down inside, and had a friction fit, or some velcro to hold it in a closed circle on the lens barrel... (plastic sheet or films would work too) Not a perfect solution, but it beat tape... Worked OK...

I will go OT to suggest to those who's DSLR lenses have plastic filter threads on the front, to get a decent filter that size, and remove the glass, carefully thread the ring on the lens and leave it there, so the plastic threads don't wear out after a few filter changes (like they do), and filters/hoods, etc thread on the metal ring...

Steve K

That is a great suggestion, I have two lenses that fall into the category.

Tin Can
24-Dec-2015, 10:33
I use this, but it is hard to keep the gels perfect, but then what is perfect. Not my images!

I like it as it fits almost anything.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/186726-REG/LEE_Filters_Gel_Snap_3x3_4x4_Filter.html