PDA

View Full Version : need help with 210mm.

principiante
24-Dec-2015, 06:59
Hi. i'm looking for a 210mm lens for my 45-c Toyo 4x5 view camera.

I have $ 200 budget

Which one you advise me?
I only know ebay to buy, some other reliable page?
thank you.

IanG
24-Dec-2015, 07:19
You can get a nice 203mm f7.7 Ektar for £100/$150, the UK made ones areCompur/Copal #0 compatible. You might find a 210mm f5.5 Symmar if your lucky for around $200 or a Fujinon from Japan for $150 approx.

Ian

redrockcoulee
24-Dec-2015, 08:20
I got my 210 Symmar S non multicoated lens a few years back for $210. The Symmar convertibles as mentioned above should be under the 200 dollars. You may also be able to find a Caltar for that price.

IanG
24-Dec-2015, 08:44
I think I actually paid $200 for my MC 210mm Symmar S 7 or 8 years ago on this forum or APUG. As the OP has been a member long enough it would be worth posting a wanted advert here on this forum's For Sale/Wanted section, I've bought off many members both here and APUG and personally prefer it to using Ebay.

Ian

redrockcoulee
24-Dec-2015, 08:55
I think I actually paid $200 for my MC 210mm Symmar S 7 or 8 years ago on this forum or APUG. As the OP has been a member long enough it would be worth posting a wanted advert here on this forum's For Sale/Wanted section, I've bought off many members both here and APUG and personally prefer it to using Ebay.

Ian

And generally considerably less expensive.

David Karp
24-Dec-2015, 10:56
You should be able to pick up a 210mm Caltar II-N for around $200. It is equivalent to a Rodenstock Sironar-N. Nice lens. Should also be able to find a Caltar S-II, which is a Symmar-S. Both were rebranded for Calumet and equivalent to the Rodenstock and Schneider branded versions and are usually more reasonably priced.

neil poulsen
25-Dec-2015, 17:26
210mm lenses tend to be very reasonably priced in that range. I'd suggest keeping an eye on EBay.

Luis-F-S
25-Dec-2015, 20:53
You should be able to pick up a 210mm Caltar II-N for around $200. It is equivalent to a Rodenstock Sironar-N. Nice lens. Should also be able to find a Caltar S-II, which is a Symmar-S. Both were rebranded for Calumet and equivalent to the Rodenstock and Schneider branded versions and are usually more reasonably priced.

+1 Probably your best bet. I actually just now purchased a 210 Caltar IIE for $109 on the Bay. Bought it for the shutter and I'll use it to re-mount an 8 1/4" Dagor. Since both are f/6.8 lenses I can ever re-use the aperture scale! Several others listed under $200 and some even are OBO! L

John Kasaian
25-Dec-2015, 21:03
Keh has 210mm Calumet Caltars under $200
https://www.keh.com/search/list?n=151&page=2

dpn
25-Dec-2015, 22:18
I just purchased a like new 210mm f/5.6 Fujinon-NW (multicoated, black copal shutter assembly) for $108 on eBay from a Japanese seller.

David Karp
25-Dec-2015, 23:55
I have one of those 210mm Caltar II-E lenses. It is compact, uses small filters, 49mm I think, and is sharp when stopped down to f/22. It is a multicoated a three element lens. If you could replicate dpn's purchase of a 210mm Fujinon NW, that would be a great deal. Those lenses are excellent. It is a more complex optical design than the aforementioned Caltar. It has a larger image circle too. I have two other focal length Fujinon NW lenses and they are very nice.

David Karp
26-Dec-2015, 00:00
I just purchased a like new 210mm f/5.6 Fujinon-NW (multicoated, black copal shutter assembly) for $108 on eBay from a Japanese seller.

Great deal! The shutter is worth more!!

ottluuk
26-Dec-2015, 02:16
A 210mm G-Claron is another possibility. I got a perfect condition late-production sample in Copal 1 for the equivalent of ~$210 from a relatively high profile European dealer (i.e. not a bargain basement find). The plus side is that it is quite compact and lightweight compared to the usual f/5.6 Plasmats while still having decent coverage and good sharpness. The minus side is that you'll have less light to focus. Another possible downside is that reading forum threads about using process lenses (optimized for close-up distances) for general purpose photography can give you a fair bit of FUD about it. All I'm saying is that if you see a good deal on a shuttered G-Claron, don't dismiss it lightly.

IanG
26-Dec-2015, 07:17
I have one of those 210mm Caltar II-E lenses. It is compact, uses small filters, 49mm I think, and is sharp when stopped down to f/22. It is a multicoated a three element lens. If you could replicate dpn's purchase of a 210mm Fujinon NW, that would be a great deal. Those lenses are excellent. It is a more complex optical design than the aforementioned Caltar. It has a larger image circle too. I have two other focal length Fujinon NW lenses and they are very nice.

At the moment with the weak Yen compared to the Pound and Dollar there's a lot of Fujinons at excellent prices from Ebay sellers in Japan. I've been surprised how low the prices are compared to lenses selling in America and Europe.

Ian

David Karp
26-Dec-2015, 09:32
The prices are amazing. I picked up a 250mm f/6.7 and a 135mm f/5.6 Fujinon W for very low prices earlier this year.

Michael S
26-Dec-2015, 10:20
Just noticed a few 210mm lenses on KEH web site, one for as low as $79.

Alan Gales
26-Dec-2015, 10:51
On Ebay you should be able to find a multicoated 210mm F/5.6 lens in a modern Copal shutter in your budget, no problem. Look for Scbneider, Rodenstock (Sironar N), Nikkor, Fujinon, or Caltar. Let price and condition be your guide because they are all good and similar in quality.

For a while all these lenses were going for right around the $200 mark. Lately, I have seen quite a few go for around $150 or even less. Just be a little patient and you will find what you want.

joselsgil
26-Dec-2015, 12:55
principiante,

Take a look in the For Sale section of this forum. You may find a lens or two that you can use.

Could you also indicate where you are located?

You didn't indicate what type of photography you will be using the lens for. General use, or?

In this forum, click on LF Home Page - Articles & Reviews
you can find a lot of useful information there.

If you are located in or near a large metropolitan area, may be able to find large format camera equipment at camera shops. Some shops take trade in equipment when photographers are switching to digital cameras. You may be able to find good deal locally.

Good luck with your search.

Jose

joselsgil
26-Dec-2015, 12:58
+1 Probably your best bet. I actually just now purchased a 210 Caltar IIE for $109 on the Bay. Bought it for the shutter and I'll use it to re-mount an 8 1/4" Dagor. Since both are f/6.8 lenses I can ever re-use the aperture scale! Several others listed under $200 and some even are OBO! L

Luis,

Thanks for the tip. I have been searching for a shutter for my Dagor 8 1/4" cells. Do you think the cells are a direct drop in?

Jose

Dan Fromm
26-Dec-2015, 14:38
Jose, it depends on the Dagor. Why don't you measure your Dagor's cells and barrel? If the front is M40x0.75 and the rear is M36x0.75 and the barrel they're in is 20.0 mm long they should work properly in a #1. If not, not.

That your lens' cells will work in a #1 isn't guaranteed. Goerz American made 8 1/4" Dagors to fit other shutters.

Luis-F-S
26-Dec-2015, 17:19
The cells don't directly drop in. I'll send it to SK Grimes, and around $300 later, they'll drop in. L