PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff V11

diversey
23-Dec-2015, 15:03
Is it a good price for a used Deardorff V11 with a Kodak 12" portrait lens, $9,400?

Jim Galli
23-Dec-2015, 15:18
There's a Canham on the bay for $7500. A new Cham is $4200. Deardorff is a Deardorff is a Deardorff, and they only made like 85 of them. So there's that. The lens doesn't help too much. Less than 10% of the asking price. and a 12" Portrait Ektar won't cover 1114. I have a V11 and it's not for sale. Love it.

karl french
23-Dec-2015, 15:31
$5000 would be better. It's overpriced. The Canham is also overpriced. Especially considering there is another used 11x14 Canham available for $4995.

StoneNYC
23-Dec-2015, 15:45
Get a new Chamonix... $4200 brand spanking new... Lighter, no chance of damage, customer service available and excellent, it's a no-brainer to me.

8x10 user
23-Dec-2015, 15:48
If you wait you should be able to find a deardorff for not much more then a Chamonix. I haven't used Chamonix myself but the V8 that I had was very impressive.

karl french
23-Dec-2015, 15:50
As much as I love Deardorffs, the problem with the V11 camera is that it weighs 35 pounds.

8x10 user
23-Dec-2015, 15:54
Wow, I didn't realize they were that heavy. Almost sounds like my S11 without the stand.

As much as I love Deardorffs, the problem with the V11 camera is that it weighs 35 pounds.

karl french
23-Dec-2015, 15:58
Actually, according to official documentation, it weighs 28 pounds. Sorry about that.

Tin Can
23-Dec-2015, 16:25
I think that's way too much, but it's your money. You are younger and stronger. You will need a massive tripod...

Don't forget.

11X14 film holders are not free and kinda rare. I had 5 custom made by Richard Ritter. Very happy. http://www.lg4mat.net/ulf.html

Earlier today I was looking at the RR 11x14, which would be a good match for my RR custom back on my S11 Deardorff.

Check the weight of RR and Chamonix compared to DD.

Greg
23-Dec-2015, 17:14
I'd seriously go for the Chamonix. Own a Charmonix for outdoor use and a Sinar Norma for indoor use. Over the years have owned and used a B&J wooden flatbed, a Sinar P, and a Deardorff. B&J first camera. Sinar P great but just too large to be portable. Deardorff was a pleasure to use but design is very dated now. The Charmonix (all be it a Phillips legit knock-off) just seems like today's version of the Deardorff... with ergonomically improvements. Also switched to an 11x14 Charmonix a little more than a year ago and absolutely no regrets.
Good luck, just remember in the end it's the photographer, not the camera. Some of my exhibited work done with a home made pinhole camera...
Greg

diversey
23-Dec-2015, 18:45
It seems $9400 is too much for a used V11. Will keep looking and consider other options. Thanks!

Tin Can
23-Dec-2015, 18:52
It seems $9400 is too much for a used V11. Will keep looking and consider other options. Thanks!

If the lens was something very valuable, but it's not...

diversey
23-Dec-2015, 19:32
Worth $500-600?

If the lens was something very valuable, but it's not...

8x10 user
23-Dec-2015, 19:35
Is this for studio use? I have an extra century 11x14 that needs a home.

diversey
23-Dec-2015, 19:48
Not for studio. Looking for one I can do outdoor. Thanks!

Is this for studio use? I have an extra century 11x14 that needs a home.

Michael Kadillak
23-Dec-2015, 21:26
Not for studio. Looking for one I can do outdoor. Thanks!

Having used a 1940 Deardorff Marine V11 for the last four years there are a couple of comments I will add to the mix on this subject.

First of all the issue of weight that carries from smaller formats in what I call "backpack mode" does not transition well to the full bodied ULF sizes particularly when photographing in the field. A light weight 11x14, 12x20, 14x17 or 16x20 can be a nightmare when modest gusts of wind appear in short order. The sizes of the larger GG make for great sails and significant forces can be applied that can upset the apple cart in no time. Ditto for camera movement as long exposures become more of the norm in this arena. I love Canham cameras to death (I have an 8x10 and an 8x20 wood) but their light weight in the larger ULF formats brings with it camera flexibility and the propensity of being blown over on the tripod in no time. Although my V11 has the heavy metal handle and is a bit over 30#, when I get it on the broad face of the Majestic tripod head it is just marvelous to use. Never worried about that beast blowing over in what I call normal outdoor windy conditions and I have never lost a negative to camera movement when making longer exposures. I did find the critical film registration of the Fidelity Medical Cassettes and the S&S holders off sufficiently to necessitate two GG backs (one original Deardorff and one Ritter made) that accommodate both holders easily. When it is all said and done it is about producing images and the Deardorff V11 is a marvelous example that was designed for the application perfectly. My camera does not have a front swing and Barry at Deardorff sold me a newer center frame with a swing standard along with a new rail and I can swap out the old front standard with the original without altering it in any way. I was amazed at how things have not changed. A good used example is worth every penny of $6,000 because there are only so many out there and while they weight what they need to for a reason IMHO, they are a sheer joy to use in the field. If the weight bothers you, get a small light camera and have some fun. It is really not that bad as I have carried my V11 considerable distances even if it means a couple of trips to the truck because the marvel of a well executed 11x14 contact print is addictive.

Tin Can
23-Dec-2015, 21:30
Worth $500-600?

Can't tell what it's worth from here.

But it's not worth $3500.

dentkimterry
24-Dec-2015, 04:08
You can buy a new V11 direct from the current Deardorff manufacturer for $6750 although it doesn't include a lens. 3 month build time.

Tin Can
24-Dec-2015, 06:20
Now that I have seen the big boy in question, it is a very fine example and it exists now, not a fantasy.

You cannot take money or cameras with you.

Maybe it's an investment. Maybe.

diversey
24-Dec-2015, 08:32
Greetings! Are you sure? I thought it was closed.

You can buy a new V11 direct from the current Deardorff manufacturer for $6750 although it doesn't include a lens. 3 month build time.

diversey
24-Dec-2015, 08:36
You like it, don't you?

Now that I have seen the big boy in question, it is a very fine example and it exists now, not a fantasy.

You cannot take money or cameras with you.

Maybe it's an investment. Maybe.

dentkimterry
24-Dec-2015, 09:35
Greetings! Are you sure? I thought it was closed.

deardorffcameras.com

Tin Can
24-Dec-2015, 09:38
You like it, don't you?

Yes, but out of my reach. Let's PM.

Oren Grad
24-Dec-2015, 17:48
The relevant information from the posts I just deleted is that we have two threads in our "Advisories" section in which members report on their experiences with the new Deardorff company:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?84992-Where-s-Deardorff-and-Barry-Cochran

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?108716-Cochran-and-the-new-Deardorff-Part-Deux

Any further discussion of the issues raised should be within "Advisories", and is subject to its rules.

JosephBurke
14-Jan-2016, 18:51
I'll toss in my 2 cents. Having had numerous Deardorffs over the years from a Baby, several V-5s including one of those beautiful Spanish Cedar models, and maybe half a dozen V-8s, it's obvious that I'm a Deardorff fan and of course the V-11, in my opinion, is the holy grail of vintage 11x14s that are fieldable. I've experienced two Deardorff V-11s, the first being sold to help pay for the second (you all know how that works). Prior to the Deardorff V-11 experience I had two other 11x14 cameras. The first I still have. It's an 11x14 Folmer-Schwing or something like that with all its original accessories--needs a new bellows so I've never used it its obviously but far from ideal in the field. I do think it would be a great studio type camera. The second, a much more modern wooden 11x14 from a well know large format camera maker, was an absolute disappointment--I'll not say the brand but, wow, what a piece of shite for about $4k. I unloaded that thing in short order. The V-11 is far far far superior to either of those cameras that I've experienced and I still have that second one. I can't say that I've experienced any of the newest models from other makers but from what I have experienced the V-11 is second to none. Heavy, yes, but I can't imagine wanting a "lightweight" 11x14 as that seems somewhat counterproductive. I'll say this: If it's a Deardorff V-11 that you really want then by all means get the V-11. Sure, I made the mistake of buying a less expensive 11x14 ($4000) an I regretted that until I finally sold it. The purchase of the V-11 that I now have, on the other hand, has NEVER been regretted. Get the Deardorff V-11
and never look back!

Luis-F-S
10-Mar-2019, 12:36
An old thread, but since there seems to be some questions about weight, I just weighed one of my V8's & V11. With a lens board, here's what I found; weights in pounds.oz:

V8

V11

Some could be heavier/lighter, but this should give a ball park idea.

Jim Galli
10-Mar-2019, 13:39
An old thread, but since there seems to be some questions about weight, I just weighed one of my V8's & V11. With a lens board, here's what I found; weights in pounds:

V8

V11

Some could be heavier/lighter, but this should give a ball park idea.

Thanks. I would have guessed almost exactly double . . . and been wrong.

At one point I had a Wisner 14X17 and the V11 and they were almost identical it seemed to me in weight and ease of use.

Guess which one I kept. The 11X14 is upstairs in it's cozy soft case. The Wis is down the road somewhere.