PDA

View Full Version : About the 300mm Fujinon SW

rich silha
9-Feb-2001, 08:31
does any one know the whereabouts of this lens, any history,and any information about it?

Geoffrey_1456
9-Feb-2001, 13:42
Rich,

Did you check Kerry Thalmann's site (http://largeformat.homepage.com/)? It's very informative. Oh, if you know where I can find a Schneider 355/6.8 Super Angulon and a Nikkor 600/9 M lens, please let me know. Thanks!

Kerry L. Thalmann
9-Feb-2001, 14:53
Rich,

This is a VERY rare, VERY huge lens with ENORMOUS coverage. I don't think there was ever much of a market for an ultrawide lens for the 18"x22" format (at least not in the mid to late 1970s). I think this lens may have been Fuji's way of showing the world that they could design and build LF lenses like nobody else. It came out at a time when Fuji was new to the LF lens business, and was probably intended to make quite the statement about their design and manufacturing prowess.

Here's a few of the sketcky details I have on this lens. In most of the literature I have, both Fujinon brochures and D.O. Industries price lists, if is listed as a 300mm f8 lens. However, in a couple pieces (see table below) and in all actual pictures of the lens (I've never seen one in person), it is clearly labled "Fujinon SW 1:9/300.

Specs: Covering Power (f22): 100? Image circle (f22): 720mm Recommended film size: 18"x22" Shutter Type: Copal #3 Smallest Aperture: f64 Designed Focal Length: 298.5mm Front Barrel Outer Diameter: 150mm Filter Size: 145mm 0.75 pitch Rear Barrel Outer Diameter: 140mm Length of Lens: 215.5mm Flange Focal Length: 325.3mm Weight: 3250g (7.15 lb.)

It is listed in the following references that I have:

Fujinon Lenses for Professional Use: 5/75 (f9) Fujinon Professional Lenses: 3/76 (f8) Fujinon Professional Lenses: 11/76 (f8) Fujinon Professional Lenses: 10/77 (f8) Fujinon Professional Lenses: 4/78 (f8) Fujinon Lenses D.O Industries Price List: August 15, 1979 (f8) Fujinon Lenses D.O Industries Price List: March 1, 1980 (f8)

D.O. Industries - Fujinon Professional Series Lenses for Every Photographic Purpose: undated (f9)

It is NOT listed in:

Fujinon Lenses D.O Industries Price List: January 1, 1977 (but shown on the cover illustration) Fujinon Professional Lenses: 1/79

So, it appeared in the official Fujinon literature from at least 5/75 - 4/78 and was discontinued prior to 1/79. It continued to be listed in the D.O. Industries price lists up until at least March 1, 1980 (probably selling remaining existing inventory). Unfortunately, there is no price listed (price upon request).

Like I said, I've never actually seen one of these in person, and I've never seen one advertised for sale. If you happen to find one somewhere, let me know. I'm not interested in buying one (I couldn't afford it, nor do I need it), but I would like to know a little more about this rare lens from someone who has seen, or better yet, used one.

Kerry