PDA

View Full Version : Need for 4x5 film holder protective case?

Daniel Geiger
19-Dec-2015, 14:54
Getting the 4x5 out of the closet after a little while. Wanted to add to a couple of boxes of Quickloads in the freezer, only to learn that they have ceased to exist for several years. Details.
OK, back to the future with traditional film holders.
Mostly sorted out (holders, film, changing bag). I carry my kit in a Lowe Supertrecker, so padded from the outside. Is there any reason not to stack 10-15 holders in one LST compartment? I've seen the zip-lock argument for dust, and that make sense. But is there also a need to use something like a Gnass or PhotoBackPacker case for additional protection?
Looks to me mostly for convenience while standing at the tripod. The added bulk would reduce the number of holders I can pack.
Thanks for any insights.

vinny
19-Dec-2015, 15:04
When I lived in L.A., dust was always an issue. I put the individual holders in the pink anti-static bags and then 5 holders go into F64's padded pouches which can be hung from the tripod.

Kirk Gittings
19-Dec-2015, 15:37
I use a Gnass case hung from my tripod-super handy with two 4x5 holders per pocket wrapped together in Saran wrap (actually the big rolls of a knock off they sell at costco).

John Kasaian
19-Dec-2015, 15:46
You can get little soft sided cooler bags---not much larger than sandwich size---that zip. You could stick you zip lock baggies in one of those.

Vaughn
19-Dec-2015, 16:06
I have a insulated zippered case (soft-sided) designed to hold two baby bottles. Holds four 4x5s nicely!

Daniel Geiger
19-Dec-2015, 16:18
Thanks for the replies. Zip-lock against dust is ok. Re padding, let me clarify: Is it necessary to pad each holder individually to prevent them from moving against the others? The pack itself is already padded, and the padded compartment holds some 10-15 holders snug.

Sirius Glass
19-Dec-2015, 17:02
I use Zip-Lok bags and then I have a shoulder bag that carries about ten two sheet holders or 5 or 6 Grafmatic 45s.

David Karp
19-Dec-2015, 17:46
I have never seen any reason to pad holders so that they don't rub against each other.

I put my holders in ziploc type bags and for years have stuffed them into an insulated lunch bag that holds 7-8 holders. The lunch bag then goes into my backpack. I think I found it at a local drug store or grocery store. Holders with exposed film go back into the plastic bags and then into the lunchbox with the darkslide end down. I have lots of 4x5 holders. The ones that don't go on the hike with me are stored in larger insulated lunch boxes that hold quite a few holders. (Empty holders that are ready for film are stored in lunch boxes with the white or silver side of the darkslide out, with the darkslide end pointing down. Loaded holders go in the lunchboxes darkslide up.) This system has worked fine for many years. I just purchased a couple Photobackpacker film holder cases that I have not yet used. They don't hold as many holders as my lunch bag, but the convenience of hanging them off of the tripod was alluring. I should be able to get a couple of the cases into my Photobackpacker backpack, so we will see how that plays out.

Photobackpacker
20-Dec-2015, 07:12
For me, dust protection is certainly important. My biggest frustration, however, was organization and speed of access to the film holders. When light conditions are changing, I wanted to be able to locate the next unexposed film holder instantly.

When I feel disorganized in the field, I make dumb mistakes. I need as many crutches as possible. :)

Bruce

Drew Bedo
20-Dec-2015, 07:20
I don't think they need to be padded against shock or bouncing off of each other. If stacked together naked (no zip-loc) there can be cosmetic wear over time. I have successfully used some pretty old and beat-up holders that still kept the film dark and mounted in registration to the camera. So looks are not necessarily a problem.

When I started in LF in the mid 1980s, I was working in medical setting doing Nuclear Medicine imaging. The equipment imaged a small CRT onto 8x10 film. The film holders were standard 8x10 double dark slide film holders. The dark room at the clinic had 50-100 holders all in a pile . Each holder was loaded and emptied several times a day; in a hurry and in total darkness. They got tossed around a bit. I used a few these film holders for my own photography on the weekend from time to time without problem. At some point the clinic bought 50 new holders, and I was told to scrap the old ones . . . .so I picked out the 20 best ones and scrapped the rest at the Houston Camera Show in 1994.

If you are buying high-end expensive new ones though, I understand the desire to protect th,. I really don't think that much more than a new-for-each-outing zip-loc is needed to keep them looking great for a long time. A PhotoBackpacker Casscade or similar system would help but wil ladd weight and bulk to your field kit.

Peter Lewin
20-Dec-2015, 07:24
For me, dust protection is certainly important. My biggest frustration, however, was organization and speed of access to the film holders. When light conditions are changing, I wanted to be able to locate the next unexposed film holder instantly.

When I feel disorganized in the field, I make dumb mistakes. I need as many crutches as possible. :)

Bruce
My Photobackpacker film holder case (I forgot what Bruce calls them) can hold 12 holders, 2 in each of the 6 pockets, although I usually use it as designed, one in each compartment. I originally did not buy one because I thought it was mostly added weight, and ziplock worked fine. BUT ... after several years of use, I now consider it one of my best purchases for exactly the reason Bruce posted: the organization and design let me hang the holder off my tripod, all the holders are in easy reach, and I know easily how many I have used and how many are left. It just makes the process significantly easier.

StoneNYC
20-Dec-2015, 07:27

Bruce

Just to give a little bump, out of these frustrations Bruce has created an amazing absolutely perfect design for film holders in a cascade form, he's been selling them for years on his photobackpacker site, and is now going out of business (retiring) so if you want a chance to have the best film holders possible you should snag a few of these now. They are at cost because he's going out of business so really get on this, there's no reason not to at the price they are. And they won't be sold after January 15th!

http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=03481bda122ba7eaf7999bd67db44497&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RPT&Product_Code=FHC4x5&Category_Code=RPT05

Daniel Geiger
20-Dec-2015, 10:27
Thanks everybody for further posts. I was wondering about PBP site, whether that was just a year end sale or an out of business sale. Strangely enough, just learned about the company yesterday. So ordered a couple of the cascades, they sure are very reasonably priced, less than a box of film.

Kodachrome25
20-Dec-2015, 10:40
My Photobackpacker film holder case (I forgot what Bruce calls them) can hold 12 holders, 2 in each of the 6 pockets, although I usually use it as designed, one in each compartment. I originally did not buy one because I thought it was mostly added weight, and ziplock worked fine. BUT ... after several years of use, I now consider it one of my best purchases for exactly the reason Bruce posted: the organization and design let me hang the holder off my tripod, all the holders are in easy reach, and I know easily how many I have used and how many are left. It just makes the process significantly easier.

+1, at first I thought there would be too much bulk but there really is not and for shooting in any kind of weather I love how you only expose one holder at a time to the elements. 4 out of my 10 cascades have the shoulder straps so it makes it easier for an assistant to carry one or two bandolier style. I also get into some rough terrain so having the added protection is a plus.