PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Recomendation

Smitty
18-Dec-2015, 03:52
What would be a good tripod/head combination for use with 7x17 and 8x10 cameras? In the past I have used Bogen 3050..
Thanks, Steve

AlexGard
18-Dec-2015, 05:02
Don't get a Berlebach. All roads lead to Ries by my recent searching. Plenty of threads covering this around but to save you the hassle everyone says Ries.

I scrimped on getting a Ries and went for the 'cheaper' Berlebach report tripod a couple of years ago and regretted it pretty quickly. Not very sturdy for 8x10. 4x5 definitely but nothing heavier than a 4x5 monorail.
I will be investing in a Ries system very soon.

Michael W
18-Dec-2015, 05:47
I have a Foba Alfae which I reckon could hold anything. Wouldn't want to go hiking with it though.

lab black
18-Dec-2015, 06:06
+1 Ries

Michael Graves
18-Dec-2015, 06:07
Don't get a Berlebach. All roads lead to Ries by my recent searching. Plenty of threads covering this around but to save you the hassle everyone says Ries.

I scrimped on getting a Ries and went for the 'cheaper' Berlebach report tripod a couple of years ago and regretted it pretty quickly. Not very sturdy for 8x10. 4x5 definitely but nothing heavier than a 4x5 monorail.
I will be investing in a Ries system very soon.

Not sure which one you tried to use, but I have to strongly disagree with you on this. My 3030 has no difficulty whatsoever supporting my Toyo 810M. It's solid, rigid and dependable.

Luis-F-S
18-Dec-2015, 07:07
+1 Ries

++1 Ries!!!!! and I have a Berlebach and 2 Ries! Just get the A100 with the A200 head for anything larger than 8x10! The A200 is plenty heavy for anything smaller than say 16x20 and you use the tripod legs for left to right leveling! You can often find them used in the $700 range for both!

tgtaylor
18-Dec-2015, 09:37
I've been using a Gitzo G1348 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=185695&is=REG&fromDisList=y with my Toyo 810MII field camera which weighs 15lbs without the lens with zero stability issues. Instead of a center column I mount an Arca Swiss Zi-sp http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10469077&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi directly to the center plate and an AS Long QR plate http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2120-REG/Arca_Swiss_8022101_Universal_Long_Camera_Plate.html/prm/alsVwDtl on the camera body. This combination of tripod, head, and QR system allows me to day hike for several miles without sacrificing camera stability. It provides stable support for large and heavy 8x10 lens such as the 350 Schneider Symmar-S and the 14" front loading Wollensack with zero issues.

Thomas

jp
18-Dec-2015, 10:58
I have J and A series Ries and either is fine for a modest 8x10. For an 8x10 monorail, stick with the A series. For my J I have a 3047 head and a 3025 head. The 3047 head is good for some 8x10 use and the 3025 I use for 4x5 and smaller. The Ries heads are sturdier but there are also reasons why 3047 head et.al. are popular. So +1 for Ries even if you use another head.

neil poulsen
18-Dec-2015, 11:20
Depending on which 8x10 you use, I'm very pleased with my carbon fiber Feisol 3372. Beefy legs, and it weighs less than 4 lbs. (I normally associate beefy legs with something much heavier. :))

Versus some of the other Feisol tripods, the 3372 has a machined crown that both decreases weight and adds to strength. There's also a long version of the tripod that has a greater maximum height.

As CF goes, the Feisol tripods are reasonably priced. Mine easily handles a Deardorff 8x10; but, I wouldn't use it with a Toyo 8x10G 19 lbs rail camera. Kerry Thalman no longer sells these. However, you can see explanations and a good comparison table at his www.reallybigcameras.com. These tripods also make it easy to swap heads, if that's needed. Accessories are also reasonably priced. I got mine with a center column. See the Feisol site for pricing and descriptions.

karl french
18-Dec-2015, 11:26
I've been using a Gitzo 1548 with the 1570 pan tilt head for 8x10, 10x12 and 7x17. It's more than capable of handling these cameras. There are some downsides to the big Gitzo. No ready possibility of spikes for the feet, the locks are hard on the hands over the course of a days shooting, and related to that there are too many leg sections (which does make for a compact tripod though.)

I just switched to a Ries J100-2, which is the A series legs on the smaller J series crown. I really like it. Super stable with the spiked feet. Still with the Gitzo 1570 pan tilt head. Which I think works better than the Ries heads because of the sliding camera screw. With the F&S you can position the camera far enough back on the head that you can get some of the front focus rail on the head. Really a bread board mounted to the head would be best for camera stability. The F&S focus rail is 8" wide to accommodate the front panel sliding between the rails while using lots of front fall. With the Nikkor-M 450 I do get some sagging of the focus track, but it hasn't resulted any soft pictures so far as I can tell.

The Ries is heavy, but (especially) the J100-2 is very comfortable on the shoulder. More so than the A100, because the legs are closer together with the smaller J series crown. The regular J100 is not really adequate for the 7x17. It was borderline with an 8x10 Deardorff, which is heavier than the F&S 7x17, but the mass of the F&S 7x17 warrants the heavy duty J100-2.

Vaughn
18-Dec-2015, 11:48
Someday I will have to go lighter weight, and carbon fiber is most likely the way I will go.

Until then, I will stick to my Ries (A series, pod and head) for the 8x10 and 11x14. No carbon fiber tripod would have survived what I have put the Ries through. I am most often off-trail and my Ries is often used as a climbing assist tool...probably much to the shock of the manufacturer that their product is used in such a manner! And of course I have taken falls amongst the rocks and such and the pod (and I) have survived.

Here is a snap of me and my Ries -- my boys and had I just hiked up from the valley floor (Yosemite) up to an unnamed waterfall that I wanted to check out again. The other photo is me with my small tripod for my Rollei and for my Gowland PocketView 4x5. It is an old Gitzo Reporter Performance. Over-kill for the Rollei and even for the 4x5 (which weights 2.5 pounds with the lens), but since I am 6'4" I appreciate the height. And it came in handy when I was crossing Redwood Creek many times backpacking with the 4x5 over last Thanksgiving.

Drew Wiley
18-Dec-2015, 11:59
Vaughn - I did buy one of the biggest Feisol CF tripods for old age use with my 8x10. It came in handy last year keeping the pack from bouncing when I was recovering from shingles all over my lower back. And I use an early "Reporter" Gitzo CF for long-haul backpacking with 4x5. Otherwise, a couple sizes of Ries are my routine choice of preference. Then I recently acquired a superb EDIF 300 telephoto lens for my P67. It actually requires better support than my 8x10. So I machined a maple block for it with two attachment point, so introduced some rust and so forth into the penetrating epoxy so that it would match the vintage
appearance of the maple on my Ries. Now I just need to make a new ash handle for my original ice axe (which broke during a thrill ride down some ice years ago,
pre-fiberglass axe days), and then I'll be fully in style, 70's Glendale Kelty Pack n' all.

Jeffrey Arthur
18-Dec-2015, 12:06
+++Ries

Vaughn
18-Dec-2015, 12:24
...and then I'll be fully in style, 70's Glendale Kelty Pack n' all.

My family still has a few Kelty packs from 1970 (give or take a couple years) hanging on the walls of our garages. I let one of my boys use one a few years ago. He said his shoulders hurt. Then I noticed that on the original shoulder straps, the foam padding had aged and were as hard as wood! I replaced the straps but he has now gone to internal frame (he is in Bolivia right now and internal frame is the way to go traveling).

What is the best way to sharpen the spikes on a Ries? Mine have dulled to acute roundness! I could use a file, I suppose...sitting around a campfire sharpening spikes just sounds so manly.

John Jarosz
18-Dec-2015, 12:38
I use a large diameter aluminum leg Gitzo and Majestic head for 8x20/8x10. Sad to say, the heavier the better.

Ari
18-Dec-2015, 12:38
I've used FLM CP30-series tripods for all formats in all weather conditions.
It's light and strong, and will hold things very securely and with great stability.
Here's a recent review on the XL version: http://dsaphoto.com/flm-cp-xl4s-tripod-review.-

Drew Wiley
18-Dec-2015, 13:07
Just use a bench grinder or even file to sharpen your spikes, Vaughn. I once had to improvise a spike with a 60-penny nail until a replacement leg arrived. Ries
gave me the replacement free, even though I attempted to purchase it, having told them that I dropped the thing off a cliff! An exceptional warranty. But a couple years ago a pal of mine slipped in the creek at dusk way the hell back in Kaweah Basin, probably the most remote spot in the Sierra, carrying his gear rifle-style. He busted off two of his Gitzo CF legs, among other things. So I found a skinny foxtail pine snag and whittled him a couple of prosthetic tripod legs, and he supplied the duct tape. It worked, though I'm still kidding him about it, replete with a mock B&H Photo ad with such a tripod pictured on it.

tgtaylor
18-Dec-2015, 13:33
Using a tripod, especially a 10 or more pound tripod, as a walking pole is not practical, IMHO. Regular hiking poles such as those sold at outdoor suppliers such as REI are far superior for support and balance and are far lighter. For years I hiked/backpacked with just one pole - the REI hiker. Then a few years back when I wore out a Hiker I brought it in for repair at a local REI store and behold, they refunded me the full purchase price with which I immediately bought a pair of poles. Two poles, which together weigh practically nothing, are better for balance and support and come in handy when making tricky log crossings over streams. From my army days I learned to distribute the weight on the body. Civilian backpacks lack the webbing employed by the military which allows one to carry much more weight and evenly displaced around the body. Being 10 pounds heavier on one hand/side throws your balance off.

Going overboard on tripod weight is both counterproductive and delivers no added benefit that a lesser weighing but stable support system can deliver. I try to go as light as I can but without sacrificing quality.

Thomas

Bill_1856
18-Dec-2015, 13:39
I'm just really impressed with all these people! And with this forum, (for whom it stands)!

Leszek Vogt
18-Dec-2015, 14:53
Choosing a tripod for big-er camera has to do with personal capabilities, individual's health or how far one wishes to go away from the vehicle or gen transportation. If you wish to get something **all around** (w/flexibility intended) then CF is the way to go. Most often one has to deal with all sorts of additional weight such as camera, lenses (many times more than one camera), filters and other related items. Food and drink is optional, tho often a necessity too. Sure, if the terrain permits....you can pull all this stuff on a rig with wheels (sled ?). Some people travel a lot and prefer the tripod to be
ultra compact.

Anyway, I don't have anything up my sleeve that's been tested (not 8x10)....but stout is good. My attitude is to avoid anything with mid-column....it has a tendency to loosen up (no matter how expensive) and so called *support* becomes no longer.

Here is another quality wooden tripod that you might want to look at....not sure how it compares to Ries or others, but....
http://www.wooden-tripods.com/8012.html

It's just a suggestion....as I'm not connected to the firm in any way. Good luck choosing.

Les

Drew Wiley
18-Dec-2015, 14:55
I've hardly been impressed by REI hiking poles in recent years. They've gone Chinese, and I got a rash from the handles due to the excessive plasticizers. Plus a couple poles broke. Warranty means zero if that happens to you crossing a creek of snowmelt and you go down, which I did. Fortunately, all my camera and camping gear was double wrapped in plastic. The original pole mfg was Leki - good stuff. Handle options are either real rubber or cork, and no cheapo vinyl needing pthalate plasticizers. But recently REI seems to have brought in some Komperdell, another good Austrian manufacturer. Black Diamond is now all Chinese except for climbing hardware per se. When I was young I simply used my ice axe as a walking cane. But now that most of our glaciers have disappeared in the
lower 48, I seldom need to cross one.

StoneNYC
18-Dec-2015, 15:05
I've hardly been impressed by REI hiking poles in recent years. They've gone Chinese, and I got a rash from the handles due to the excessive plasticizers. Plus a couple poles broke. Warranty means zero if that happens to you crossing a creek of snowmelt and you go down, which I did. Fortunately, all my camera and camping gear was double wrapped in plastic. The original pole mfg was Leki - good stuff. Handle options are either real rubber or cork, and no cheapo vinyl needing pthalate plasticizers. But recently REI seems to have brought in some Komperdell, another good Austrian manufacturer. Black Diamond is now all Chinese except for climbing hardware per se. When I was young I simply used my ice axe as a walking cane. But now that most of our glaciers have disappeared in the
lower 48, I seldom need to cross one.

When I was younger I used to hike blindfold in just socks, and I would never wear Chinese socks, that's bad quality, only American socks, everyone knows that American Alpaca are built better because of the feed they give them. I know the guy who owns the biggest alpaca farm in the US and he told me he doesn't wear Chinese socks either. I once met the leader of China (I can't tell you how that's between us) and he told me he won't even wear Chinese socks! On my hikes when I was younger when I used to wear only socks, no boots or plasticized covered poles, I used to whittle my own poles from sticks with my teeth, the sticks were given to me by ancient Native American tribesmen who took me in and taught me to make my own socks and poles.

I am a true American and I have had a life of true adventure and I look down upon all others in my greatness

:whistling:

Kirk Gittings
18-Dec-2015, 15:06
When I was younger I used to hike blindfold in just socks, and I would never wear Chinese socks, that's bad quality, only American socks, everyone knows that American Alpaca are built better because of the feed they give them. I know the guy who owns the biggest alpaca farm in the US and he told me he doesn't wear Chinese socks either. I once met the leader of China (I can't tell you how that's between us) and he told me he won't even wear Chinese socks! On my hikes when I was younger when I used to wear only socks, no boots or plasticized covered poles, I used to whittle my own poles from sticks with my teeth, the sticks were given to me by ancient Native American tribesmen who took me in and taught me to make my own socks.

I am a true American and I have had a life of true adventure and I look down upon all others in my greatness

:whistling:

:)

Drew Wiley
18-Dec-2015, 16:46
Nice try, Stone. But I grew up with Indians, and some of them wore neither socks nor shoes. Nor did I much of the time. But my first pair of boots were Swiss Raichle double boots which would post-hole snow all day long without getting cold. Miserably heavy, however. But I didn't think you were every younger, Stone,
unless you believe in metempsychosis or reincarnation or whatever. Did you watch too many Shirley Maclaine movies back in acting school, or did you pick that
up from your interview with the Dalai Lama - or was it an alpaca, at the sox weaving plant?

StoneNYC
18-Dec-2015, 17:06
Nice try, Stone. But I grew up with Indians, and some of them wore neither socks nor shoes. Nor did I much of the time. But my first pair of boots were Swiss Raichle double boots which would post-hole snow all day long without getting cold. Miserably heavy, however. But I didn't think you were every younger, Stone,
unless you believe in metempsychosis or reincarnation or whatever. Did you watch too many Shirley Maclaine movies back in acting school, or did you pick that
up from your interview with the Dalai Lama - or was it an alpaca, at the sox weaving plant?

Oh Drew, I'm just an Actor playing a part, the difference is, I'm legit ;)

EDIT: OP, don't mind me, I'm a little loopy from finally developing all this C-41 8x10 and 4x5 I've been collecting the past year. Stacks of color negatives and Chems might have gotten to my head.

Oh look they are real too :)

Being loopy
Batch one
On batch 3...

As for tripods, I've been doing fine with a simple Manfrotto, the 550 EX? Something 550. It depends on what you're shooting, I'm using a lightweight 8x10.

Try them out at the store.

Drew Wiley
18-Dec-2015, 17:15
Then how come ya never got paid?

StoneNYC
18-Dec-2015, 17:19
Then how come ya never got paid?

Huh? I always get paid, I got a check for a commercial last week.

I'm in school, so I'm only taking weekend work these days.

Let's stop now before we get deleted, we had our fun, lets not get crazy up in here :)

Drew Wiley
18-Dec-2015, 17:23
... I at least went into business at a young age and earned my first pair of real mtn boots, along with a genuine wooden handle ice axe. On my first venture I cracked pine cones for two days straight and then tried to sell the pine nuts, which wasn't an easy task in a very rural area. I grossed eight cents. Not bad. Back
then you could buy a Big Hunk candy bar for a nickle. My only mistake was not knowing that the pine nuts Indians ate came from pinyon pines on the other side
of the range, which is one reason they walked barefoot clear over there to trade acorns for pine nuts and obsidian. A few had moccasins, not made in China however. I actually had that described to me by one them, who made the crossing as a child slightly before the turn of the century. It was Paiute Pass. I can hardly imagine doing that walk barefoot. I'm no Indian. Have done it several times in Vibram soles. Indians had to walk a long ways further to the nearest REI
store in the 19th Century; but that's a different story. Head out here someday and I show you the way over Paiute Pass. Great view camera country.

John Kasaian
19-Dec-2015, 09:04
Ries works for me. I've got two of 'em.

AlexGard
19-Dec-2015, 22:29
I have absolutely no idea what's going on

Kirk Gittings
19-Dec-2015, 22:49
I have absolutely no idea what's going on

I'm a believer in alternative universes.

AlexGard
20-Dec-2015, 00:03
Belief is hope for the stupid

MAubrey
20-Dec-2015, 08:05
What the...?

AlexGard
20-Dec-2015, 09:03
I'm kidding..

Maris Rusis
20-Dec-2015, 17:15
Since this thread is totally derailed anyway I say I agree with your attitude to belief. Belief is no way to organise brain activity. Instead I'd advocate "reasonable expectations based on experience or prior knowledge". And that extends to tripods to see if they actually hold up ULF cameras.

angusparker
20-Dec-2015, 17:38
Since this thread is totally derailed anyway I say I agree with your attitude to belief. Belief is no way to organise brain activity. Instead I'd advocate "reasonable expectations based on experience or prior knowledge". And that extends to tripods to see if they actually hold up ULF cameras.

Thread back on track!

dsphotog
21-Dec-2015, 11:48
For ULF... check out an old Majestic tripod and head.

Jac@stafford.net
21-Dec-2015, 12:48
Depending on which 8x10 you use, I'm very pleased with my carbon fiber Feisol 3372. Beefy legs, and it weighs less than 4 lbs. (I normally associate beefy legs with something much heavier. :))

The mentions of Feisol have set me on a more confident path to carbon fiber tripods. Thanks, all.

Drew Wiley
21-Dec-2015, 13:43
Think my Feisol for 8x10 is more like 6 lbs, but still half the wt of the Ries.

Jac@stafford.net
21-Dec-2015, 14:31
I just ordered one!

Fr. Mark
30-Dec-2015, 11:16
I've never tried it, but I've heard of people using surveyor's tripods for big cameras. I like my foba alphae for nearby (or maybe with pack animals someday) but next tripod may be lighter (Ries, C-Fiber, who knows).

Drew Wiley
30-Dec-2015, 11:46
It's really easy to convert survey tripods into large format tripods. Just switch out the threaded knob from 5/8 to either 3/8-16 or 1/4-20 (depending on your camera or some redundant tripod head). The Zone VI tripods were just modified survey tripods, unfortunately not very well sealed against moisture. But like anything else, origin matters. A decent US mfg wood & fiberglass tripod costs about two hundred bucks. A Chinese clone will be distinctly cheaper and likely to
slip or collapse. Lightweight imported aluminum tripods are relatively worthless. So yeah... if you do it right, a basic survey tripod can be a wonderful functional
bargain for large format use. Still... a Ries is a Ries is a Ries is a Ries....

Jac@stafford.net
30-Dec-2015, 11:54
[...]The Zone VI tripods were just modified survey tripods, unfortunately not very well sealed against moisture.

Indeed, Zone VI's largest tripod (http://www.digoliardi.net/skc/skc1.jpg) was a wooden survey unit. The weak part was the crappy plywood top they added. I had a friend machine a 1/4" aluminum plate to replace it.

knjkrock
10-Apr-2016, 11:24
Could someone offer some advice/discussion regarding tripod heads for 8x10. I have a Manfrotto 475 set of legs sold to/gifted by a forum member. I have a 229 pan head I think--with the pentagon shaped plate that a got cheap but doesn't look up to the task and as I recall that quick release system isn't really favored here. Does anyone even bother with QR for this size.

What about the Ries heads. Any comments about their functionality?

I have looked at the majestic heads--the issue there is the post. Are adapters still made/available?

Regards

Ken

Jac@stafford.net
10-Apr-2016, 11:52
I have a 229 pan head I think--with the pentagon shaped plate that a got cheap but doesn't look up to the task and as I recall that quick release system isn't really favored here.

I find it a very good tripod head. No problems.

What about the Ries heads. Any comments about their functionality?
I have a J250 and use it unless I need to pan. It usually lives under an 8x10.

mdarnton
10-Apr-2016, 14:19
I have a 229 head, also. It's fine. The only problem with the hex plate is that you need to really make sure it's engaged before you let go of the camera. It's possible for it to seem to be fully engaged, but not be. I have the next step up under my 8x10, a 3057 head, and while it's extremely tough, and I find it very ergonomic, it's very heavy. If you don't intend to move around a lot, it's great.

The heads I've been curious about, and maybe some day I'll get one to see, is the low-profile Gitzo series, like their PL5. They look serious, but also compact and lighter.

Fred L
10-Apr-2016, 15:14
I pan with my Ries two way heads. There should be a teflon disc between the head and tripod which makes things smooth. I just loosen the head attachment screw then spinarama the head ;)

Fr. Mark
10-Apr-2016, 18:58
Sinar head. Works great.

Peter De Smidt
10-Apr-2016, 19:23
What 8x10 camera?

knjkrock
10-Apr-2016, 20:45
Deardorff

Peter De Smidt
11-Apr-2016, 06:12
For a Deardorff, I'd use what Michael suggests, a series 5 Gitzo. If you want to spend more money, get a Ries head. Sinar heads are terrific....with Sinar cameras, but aren't ideal for 8x10 field cameras.

John Kasaian
11-Apr-2016, 13:00
I use a Reis with my V8 'dorff. No complaints. Besides, Giselle likes it! :o

cuypers1807
11-Apr-2016, 16:35
I scored a old wooden military tripod a few months ago and it works great for 8x10.
Might be a cheaper option for those wanting a wooden tripod:
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1612/25866674826_155a8605d0_c.jpg

It only has spiked feet but the head feels sturdy enough to park a car on it.

Jac@stafford.net
11-Apr-2016, 17:04
It only has spiked feet but the head feels sturdy enough to park a car on it.

Excellent. I'll bet those spikes are screwed in an turn right out. Probably 5/16" or 3/8". I just put a washer and round headed screw in place.

Len Middleton
11-Apr-2016, 23:13
I use a Reis with my V8 'dorff. No complaints. Besides, Giselle likes it! :o

Nice looking bipod...

Alan Gales
12-Apr-2016, 08:23
The only thing better than a Ries tripod with Ries double tilt head is a bigger Ries tripod with a bigger Ries double tilt head. I own both J100 and A100 Ries tripods with double tilt heads. If I have to carry it any distance at all I carry the J100. Otherwise I prefer the A100. I shoot a Wehman 8x10.

That's how I feel about Ries. The only reason that I see to go with another brand is if you can't carry a Ries and need a Carbon fiber tripod. Of course then you will probably be shooting a feather weight 4x5 or a Mamiya 7.

soeren
12-Apr-2016, 21:40
I just ordered one!

Just picked up mine at the post office yesterday, the CT-3371. It's huge, fatlegged, initially it feels heavy for a CF tripod and the baseplate has the size of an aircraftcarrier. Love it :D Can't wait to get to use it. Im confident it will support anything Im likely to throw at it (for now not heavier than my Norma 5X7")

Ari
14-Apr-2016, 05:20
I just ordered a couple of CT-3472 tripods to see how they stack up against other tripods.
What interested me was the thick 37mm tubes; what's less interesting is Feisol's 3-year warranty.
My experiences with Chinese-made tripods has been positive in the short-term, but quite negative after a year or so of ownership.

Len Middleton
14-Apr-2016, 06:48
My experiences with Chinese-made tripods has been positive in the short-term, but quite negative after a year or so of ownership.

Ari,

Is it a matter of appearance, or of damage causing actual or potential failures? If failures, are they related to the carbon fibre or the fittings?

I heard from someone else that carbon fibre tripod do not react well to rough handling (i.e. impact damage), and that is not surprising when comparing their structure to metal or wood. The individual's comment was around the use of assistants' handling of the equipment, so seeing that I am the only one handling my equipment I do not see my having that risk to deal with.

Anyone else have any insights to the durability of carbon fibre tripods and equipment?

Thanks,

Len

Ari
14-Apr-2016, 07:10
Hi Len,
No, not the CF, but the fittings.
I had an Induro way back, before I had FLM, and the first thing to come off was the rubber on the twist locks. Then the centre post, once I reversed it, never settled back in properly. Same for a leg section that suddenly came off. The last straw was the tripod head platform, which stopped tightening the head properly, leaving a slight wobble.
All little things, but together they made for an unpleasant experience. And it all happened in less than a year.
From what I gather, people seem to be more pleased with Feisol's overall quality, so I thought it was worth a look. But I'd never give up my own tripod, nor stop recommending it to others.

As far as CF is concerned, I've had my FLM for just over 3 years, and it works as new. Through wind, salt, rain and snow, the CF material has held up perfectly, needing only a wipe-down after use in especially adverse conditions. I've certainly never had trouble with the fittings after all this time.

I don't baby the tripod either; I don't use a protective case, and the tripod gets tossed around a lot in the car, it's usually in the trunk or behind a seat on the floor.
Overall, I'm not worried a bit about the CF holding up over time, certainly not worried about it within the 10-year warranty period.