PDA

View Full Version : Flat Panel LCD Displays for Photoshop Work

Ted Harris
4-Mar-2005, 12:03
I need a new monitor. I am now using a LaCie 19 inch photonblue that is starting to have a few problems. Since I need a new monitor anyway i am wondering if now is the time to make the switch to an LCD Display? Almost everything I read says they aren't there yet in terms of matching CRT performance for photo editing but the, none of what I read has been written by photographers. I use a Macintosh G5 running OS 10.3.x. I can accommodate a 19 inch monitor, maybe a 20 inch monitor if it is a flat panel, in the available space. I am not interested in spending a fortune, say something in the range of $500. Is there anythign out there? Are there LCD Displays that are worth buying? Am I better advised to get another electronblue and keep waiting for more improvements in the LCD's? I would love to recapture some space on the table but nto at the sacrifice of image quality.

Thanks

Mike Chini
4-Mar-2005, 12:30
I much prefer CRT's for Photoshop work. In your price range, another 19" Electron Blue would be my recommendation - especially since they're going to stop making them (if they haven't already). You can find LCD's for under $500 on dealmac.com but you get what you pay for! I don't think you'll lose much image quality but you will lose options for higher resolution, and possibly a better dynamic range. I hate staring at the actual texture of LCD's which is annoying to me.

John Flavell
4-Mar-2005, 12:34
I've been looking for the same thing. From what I can tell, the Apple Cinema Flat Screen is "there", but at a cost of several grand. I looked at one today and I was really amazed with it, but the high cost decided it for me.

I think I'm sticking with the CRTs until those prices come down.

Ted Harris
4-Mar-2005, 12:35
Looking at an earlier thread led me to the monitoroutlet.com. I talked with them and the chapo I spoke withi basically discouraged me from going the LCD route unless I was prepareed to go for the big bucks (e.g. 1500) and he also commented that even then I was unlikely to see better performance than I am getting from the LaCie. BTW, that sort of knowledgable, straight forward response is much appreciated and you can be sure that when I do get a monitor i will look to them first.

I am very interested in hearing the experience of others before I jump in any direction.

Thanks,

Ted

Greg Miller
4-Mar-2005, 13:28
I would agree that the only LCDs that come close to CRTs for Photoshop work is the Apple Cinema line.

Sometime in 2005, all CRT manufatcurers will stop making consumer level CRT's. After that (and current inventory runs out) the only CRTs you will only be able to purchase will be pro level CRTs (I work for one of the manufacturers).

Rob Vinnedge
4-Mar-2005, 13:58
We've tried a number of different CRT's and LCD's and finally spent the bucks on a Sony Artisan. It's unique features, not the least of which is its calibration system, proved too irresistible. We use the Artisan for the image and another older CRT for the toolbars. Combined with a Graphiclite Softview dimmable lightbox, a G5 processor, and Photoshop CS, we have a streamlined operation that saves enough time and aggravation to warrant the extra expense. I cannot imagine that an LCD monitor could handle the subtleties of an image as well as a CRT can, particularly the Artisan. Perhaps time will prove me wrong.

Michael Chmilar
4-Mar-2005, 14:15
The best LCDs for photo work are the Eizo ColorEdge (http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/index.asp). However, the are very expensive. The best is the new CG220, which appears to outperform CRTs, but it costs over $6000.

NEC also has a wide-gamut LED-backlit LCD (http://www.nec-mitsubishi.com/coremedia/generator/Internet/Subsidiaries/Headquarter/Content/Press/Public/2004/Products/FinalLEDBacklight/FinalLedBacklight,realm=Press__Home__Products__2003,spec=x__hq__en.html) monitor, which outperforms CRTs. It costs even more than the Eizo.

The Apple Cinema displays are good, but there are some serious problems with the current models (with the aluminum case). The 23" one especially has a lot of reports of uneven color across the display (blue or yellow bands at the sides) as well as an overall magenta cast. There are some reports of similar problems with the 20" and 30" models, but they seem less prone to problems than the 23". To see the problem reports, visit Apple's support forums (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@854.IeF8az52Tqm.1@.6895fae4). The older models with the polycarbonite case do not exhibit these artifacts.

As far as price/performance goes, it is still best to stick to CRTs.

Keith Laban
4-Mar-2005, 14:43
For $500 nothing will come close to a good CRT, but be quick 'cause they won't be available for much longer.

CXC
4-Mar-2005, 15:29
Excuse my ignorance, but does this all mean that the iMac G5 LCD display is considered inferior to a CRT for photo work? To my casual eye they looked pretty dang good...

QT Luong
4-Mar-2005, 16:20
CRT are often sharper and brighter than LCDs, which make them look better at first, and they are indeed superior for things like retouching, montage, sharpening, etc.. as well as text work. They are also a better choice if you work in a bright room, since to see what a good CRT shows you, the room has to be fairly dark.
On the other hand, unless you spend big bucks, the color and tone precision of a CRT would be superior. People often cite color correction as an area where the CRT shines, but if you are doing B&W work, you'll find the abilities of CRTs to display properly very dark levels beneficial.

Glenn Kroeger
4-Mar-2005, 16:32
I think QT's first sentence is backward? LCDs are sharper and brighter, but not so good with color?

chris jordan
4-Mar-2005, 16:38
Ted, I did a ton of research before buying my monitor, and discovered that many photoshop experts use the same monitor: the Sony G520P, which is a 21" CRT monitor. I have owned two now, and they are fantastic. Right around $500, and remarkably stable-- I check the calibration of mine every few weeks and it stayed spot on for the first year and a half I owned it. Don't bother dropping the extra grand for the "Artisan" series-- just get a Colorvision monitor spyder and you're good to go. Whatever you do, DON'T get a ViewSonic CRT monitor-- they are famously bad. Mine literally blew up in my studio-- made a huge bang, filled the place with smoke and scared the living bejeezus out of me. I have two friends who have the same experience with those. I have heard from several reliable sources that the flat-screen monitors are good enough for high-end color work now (and can be calibrated same as a CRT), but I haven't tried one yet myself.

QT Luong
4-Mar-2005, 16:57
Thanks for the correction, Glenn.

Greg Miller
4-Mar-2005, 17:43
To reinforce Chirs Jordan's comment, the Sony G520P uses the same CRT as the Sony Artisan. They cherry pick the CRTs for the Artisan and the rest are used for the Sony G520P. The Artisan also has a few added features but the price difference means you really need to want the benefits of the Artisan to pay the extra $.

Doug Dolde
4-Mar-2005, 18:51
LOVE my Eizo Coloredge CG21. I'd never go back to a CRT.

Ben Hopson
4-Mar-2005, 23:16
I also prefer CRT displays and curently have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro. I use the Eye One Photo for calibration and could not be happier with the results.

Like Chris, I have done the Exploding House full of smoke thing with a 22" Viewsonic. On a Superbowl Sunday no less. To add insult to injury the monitor was under warranty and after I paid a small fortune to ship it to Viewsonic, they in turn replaced it (I believe it was about three months later) with a refurb that I could never get to focus. I guess I could have paid another hundred dollars to ship it to them again, but I opted to try something different. No problems with the Diamond Pro.

paulr
5-Mar-2005, 11:39
I haven't had the chance to look at a super high-end lcd (like the eizo), but all my other experience with lcd screens (including the cinema display) were shaky for any kind of photoshop work. The big problem for me is that a slight change in your viewing angle changes everything. I can get more consistent results on my old crt iMac (calibrated with a puck).

Ted Harris
5-Mar-2005, 15:14
A quick comment on the Sony G520P mentiuoned by Chris and others. It shows up as discontinued on several sites! I may jhust limp along with this good old LaCie electronblue III for as long as I can. The only thing really wrong with it is what appear to be scratches or flaking inside the front of the tube ... unfortunately in the center so it is annoying when you notice it but all the way at the top of the screen so it seldom interferes with an image.

Did take a quick trip into Circuit City when I went out to run errands in the big city earlier today and, as I am sure everybody knows, that is a vry frustrating experience. First most of the LCD's are not hooked up to a computer in any way that will allow you to view your own images and second even those that are present limitations. I had a DVD with me with images but the computers on the floor that had LCD's hooled up either 1) didn't ahve Photoshop available or 2)had insufficient RAM to view my largere files or 3) some combination of 1&2 and, none of them had anything larger than a 17" LCD hooked up. ALL the larger displays were lined up with some fish swimin' round and no way to check any settings or images! Frustrating and it is the only choice I have without driving 60 miles.

Bruce M. Herman
6-Mar-2005, 01:32
I have a Lacie Electron 22 Blue that I purchased special order from Lacie through a local computer store. CompUSA also sells them for about $770. They aren't in the store, but appear to be in stock. These cost a bit more than your 19" model, but are still much less than the LCD monitors that have been mentioned. I'm pretty happy with mine.

Best wishes.