PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Bellows Maker

Smitty
15-Dec-2015, 02:58
Hello All,

Looking for someone to make a new bellows for my 7x17 FS. Custom Bellows in the UK? Ritter...
I am a little hesitant here, sent my 8x10 Deardorff bellows and payment to TN over a year ago and still no bellows and no
returned calls.
Who can I be confident in..? I would never be able to find another FS bellows for pattern.
I hear Custom Bellows is good.

Thanks, Steve

Pete Oakley
15-Dec-2015, 03:13
Custom Bellows are really nice people to deal with and very efficient, I've used them more than once.
Pete.

Len Middleton
15-Dec-2015, 03:32
+1 for Custom Bellows UK.

Did excellent work on the bellows for my 8x20 Korona, including mounting it on the wooden frames for me.

karl french
15-Dec-2015, 07:53
You should have no hesitation about sending the camera to Richard for bellows replacement.

If you just send the frames/old bellows to Custom Bellows, make sure the rear most pleats of the bellows are the right size. This F&S 7x17 I picked up a few months ago has new bellows from Custom Bellows but the last few folds are a bit too big for the rear frame, so they rub against the frame every time the bellows are racked out and returned, which will eventually wear through the bellows.

Jim Noel
15-Dec-2015, 10:24
+1 for Custom Bellows. Beautiful work, fast turnaround, reasonable cost.

Leszek Vogt
15-Dec-2015, 20:16
+1...also had a v. good results with Custom Bellows.

Les

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Dec-2015, 22:24
I've also used Custom Bellows for two 14 x 17 bellows now and the quality and turn around is great.

Bill_1856
15-Dec-2015, 22:29
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwi3qer-0d_JAhXL7iYKHWvdBlsQFgg1MAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwestern-bellows-co.etiwanda.ca.amfibi.directory%2Fus%2Fc%2F2218249-western-bellows-co&usg=AFQjCNEfBmkQ9ry681suBc56eP9114359g
They did a nice, inexpensive job for me last year on my Gandolfi Whole-Plate.

Lachlan 717
15-Dec-2015, 22:53
Rudy on eBay will do a bellow for $299 for 7x17".

Luis-F-S
16-Dec-2015, 11:07
Hello All,

Looking for someone to make a new bellows for my 7x17 FS. Custom Bellows in the UK? Ritter...
I am a little hesitant here, sent my 8x10 Deardorff bellows and payment to TN over a year ago and still no bellows and no
returned calls.

I hear Custom Bellows is good.

Thanks, Steve

I only buy from him through eBay that way if I don't get the merchandise I get my money back.

Luis-F-S
16-Dec-2015, 11:09
Hello All,

Looking for someone to make a new bellows for my 7x17 FS.
returned calls.

Thanks, Steve

I only buy from him through eBay that way if I don't get the merchandise I get my money back.

Andrew O'Neill
16-Dec-2015, 14:21
Or you could just make your own if you're crazy enough... I'll be making a new one in the new year for my 14x17. The first one I made is fuuuuuugly.

Lachlan 717
16-Dec-2015, 14:49
I've had no luck finding suitable fabric.

Andrew O'Neill
16-Dec-2015, 15:11
I was able to find black fabric that is dull on one side and shiny on the other. Doubled up, it's light-tight. I went in for some more, but it was all gone. Found another material which should also work.

Tracy Storer
16-Dec-2015, 20:00
Custom Bellows UK. a little communication goes a long way, I have ordered bellows from them for around 10 years, and many thousands of dollars. My only one experience dealing with anyone else ended in a return.

Smitty
17-Dec-2015, 05:35
Deardorff TN: Same here on that, he keeps a good profile on Ebay but outside of that he is terrible. Told me that his bellows maker is no longer making bellows but he had in fact stiffed his former maker ( a very very reputable maker) for a lot of $$.

Smitty
17-Dec-2015, 05:36
I am going to Custom Bellows in the UK.

NoBob
18-Dec-2015, 02:36
I bought TK 45 standard bellows from Rudy on eBay. I bought the frames from him, too, at the same time, and he attached them free of charge.

rich caramadre
19-Dec-2015, 10:52
So who is Rudy from ebay? Is he one of the sellers from china?

scm
19-Dec-2015, 18:23
So who is Rudy from ebay? Is he one of the sellers from china?

Yes, Rudy (Hsiao Sung Wang) sells as ecbuyonline2008 on eBay.

David Karp
19-Dec-2015, 19:25
Another thread on this topic: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?99935-Bellows-Experience-with-the-replacement-bellows-on-eBay-for-their-8x10-Kodak-2D.

I believe there are several other threads. I have a bellows from Rudy, one made by Western Bellows (Jim is now retired), and one that I have not yet seen from Custom Bellows (it is going to be attached to a camera that is being worked on). I suspect my Walker Titan SF bellows were made by Custom Bellows. All are excellent quality. The material for both the Western Bellows and Walker Titan bellows are thinner and more flexible than the bellows I received from Rudy. I don't know if this is because I chose the red material for the exterior of the bellows. Rudy's bellows is plenty flexible for my purposes. I sent him the bellows frames and he glued them to the bellows. If I was doing lots of short focal length work and needed to be able to use lots of camera movements, Custom Bellows is the way to go. I believe they make the super flexible bellows that Canham uses. You can see a photo of this here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/canham/canhamdlc.html.

Matt Stage
31-Dec-2015, 02:47
I just ordered a 14x17 bellows from Custom Bellows in Birmingham England. They were kind of fast - I ordered them on Sunday, got a notice that they were completed with an invoice on Monday and had a package on my doorstep in Los Angeles on Friday. The quality is excellent. It may be the current exchange rate, but their price was excellent, a full $150 less than the price quoted by Rudy. YRMV

StoneNYC
31-Dec-2015, 06:26
I just ordered a 14x17 bellows from Custom Bellows in Birmingham England. They were kind of fast - I ordered them on Sunday, got a notice that they were completed with an invoice on Monday and had a package on my doorstep in Los Angeles on Friday. The quality is excellent. It may be the current exchange rate, but their price was excellent, a full $150 less than the price quoted by Rudy. YRMV

How much? I'm looking for that particular size bellows.

Jim Fitzgerald
31-Dec-2015, 08:00
Stone, I'm building Matt's camera for him with his help. If I'm not mistaken I think it was around $450.00 delivered. I paid over $500.00 for mine some time ago. The bellows is about 42 inches and is very well made as Matt said. His Black Mamba 14 x 17 should be done in January.

McGirton
9-Jan-2016, 04:46
I am restoring a fullplate camera and asked for prices from Custom Bellows and Rudy from eBay. CB = around 250€ and Rudy around 130€, that's quite a difference. Seeing both are doing good work I have yet to decide but it should be obvious where my decision leans to.

peter schrager
9-Jan-2016, 07:08
Go with custom bellows..you pay for what you get in this life

Len Middleton
9-Jan-2016, 08:52
Interesting that this comes up on a regular basis, and two threads within the last month or so...

Might want to look at how important it is to get it right the first time, and potential costs and consequences of not getting it right.

1. Will the camera be used for commercial or commissioned work? What is likely the response from your potential client, if things go wrong? What might be the impact to your reputation if you cannot deliver what and when needed?

2. Will it involve considerable expense (time, travel, accommodations, expensive film and processing) before you find out there is a problem or not? Or will you just be doing a couple of sheets at a time and can re-shoot if needed?

3. Similar to item 1 above, is the bellows part of some work being done for a customer and the quality of the finished product can have a significant impact on your reputation? Interesting to note that those doing work for others and have a reputation for their work (Richard, Jim, Tracey) have made their choice...

4. Is this a one-off, or will this be part of larger project where multiple / similar cameras are being made, and costs become more critical. That is one scenario where one might be prepared to experiment with alternate suppliers.

Peter's comment in #26 is the correct interpretation of the cliché. You do not get what you pay for, as one could overpay for poor quality, but most times you pay for what you get...

FYI, I chose Custom Bellows UK, based upon the second point...

McGirton
9-Jan-2016, 10:18
I'd agree to all of that if there wouldn't be positive reviews about the cheaper option. No doubt the price of the more expensive one is well worth it, but in this case I'd say the cheaper one isn't to be ruled out right away.

Len Middleton
9-Jan-2016, 10:39
I'd agree to all of that if there wouldn't be positive reviews about the cheaper option. No doubt the price of the more expensive one is well worth it, but in this case I'd say the cheaper one isn't to be ruled out right away.

Unfortunately currently there seems to be limited options, and it is not my intent to dissuade anyone.

I do not benefit if any of the current bellows providers sell a bellows to another LF photographer as I have no relationship with any of them, so my comments are intended to assist in understanding the potential issues in making the decision, as my contribution to the LF community here.

In my professional practice (non-photographic) advising clients, I often see individuals and organizations making poor decisions where the focus of the decision is based primarily upon purchase costs, rather than a total life cycle cost perspective. These include: operating & maintenance costs; time, effort & individual and organizational focus; opportunity costs; and economic impact of damaged reputation as a result of not providing the promised service or good, as promised and expected.

This decision is not nearly as complex as many, but it is not without risks...

minesix66
9-Jan-2016, 13:00
Plus 1 on Custom Bellows, I have used them for my medium format folder cameras. They are excellent.

Drew Wiley
11-Jan-2016, 09:10
I'm sending them an old bellows myself this week to replace. His price quote itself seemed perfectly reasonable.

profvandegraf
4-Feb-2016, 09:08
Hello: Has anyone had any experience with globalmatter-lab.net? I am looking for a good bellows for my old Deardorff.

T

Smitty
5-Feb-2016, 05:15
I have a new bellows on the way from Custom Bellows. Keith is great to work with and quick turn around.
Unlike Deardorff TN that I have lost my original bellows to along with $325 a year and a half of waiting with no response.

senderoaburrido
12-Feb-2016, 19:40
Since bag bellows are so simple, is it possible to make your own? I've a short focal length lens I'd like to take for a spin, and it's beyond my means without a bag bellows. Although normal bellows are certainly something to be crafted, bag bellows must be something that can be done sans finesse.

Peter De Smidt
12-Feb-2016, 20:20
Sure. All you need are the appropriate frames. Many years ago, I couldn't afford a Sinar bag bellows. And so I made one with Porter's black out cloth. It wasn't pretty, but it worked just fine.

David Karp
12-Feb-2016, 21:34
A changing bag might be a good start of a bag bellows.

Drew Wiley
17-Feb-2016, 14:57
Just got my 8x10 Durst enlarger bellows from Custom Bellows UK. Yippee! Nice quality work, prompt, and reasonable. Highly recommended.

senderoaburrido
18-Feb-2016, 09:11
Sure. All you need are the appropriate frames. Many years ago, I couldn't afford a Sinar bag bellows. And so I made one with Porter's black out cloth. It wasn't pretty, but it worked just fine.

Was there a guide or instruction set you followed? I've done very little stitching in my life, not sure if I could wing it.

Peter De Smidt
18-Feb-2016, 10:08
I used fabric glue for the fabric. I worried about stitches letting light in, but I don't know much about sewing, nor do I have a machine. I bought frames from Sinar. Back then they were reasonable. I made a guess as to the size of the bellows, based on the frame size and picture of Sinar bag bellows I saw online. I cut out 4 pieces of paper and used tape to make a prototype. I then used the paper as a template to cut out the fabric. It was ugly but it worked fine.