PDA

View Full Version : Purchased a Calumet 540 with a couple lenses. Any thoughts on them?

SoulfulRecover
14-Dec-2015, 10:32
It comes with a Tominon 135mm f/4.5 which I found some info on through Google. Seems to be an OK lens, wont cover 4x5 at infinity, can not handle much movement. Is this accurate?

Also came with a Doppelanastigmat Unofocal 1:4,5 f = 16.5cm. I have not found any information on this lens in English. Anyone have any thoughts about this lens?

Thanks for any help!

mdarnton
14-Dec-2015, 10:49
The Tominon WILL cover--at least mine does--with no room for movements. The other is probably fine, and I have something similar, but it will be uncoated with a lot of internal surfaces, so flare and light loss are both problematic, and it won't have a lot of coverage, either, but should be very sharp. I took mine apart and cleaned it, and now it's not too bad. . . but I don't use it. These probably won't satisfy you for long, though, depending on what you want to do. Based on your flick photos and what you like, I think you may be heading for a modern lens, quickly.

SoulfulRecover
14-Dec-2015, 11:02
I do have a JML 8.25 210mm f/8 Process Lens that I will want to use on this. In all reality this was bought for an artsy style of shooting (similar to Polly Chandler) so movement is key with this. Ill still use it for more straight forward portrait work as well but not its main purpose.

Thank you for the info!!

mdarnton
14-Dec-2015, 12:18
The Unofocal can probably be separated, using the back half, at about twice its focal length and two stops slower, and it will be not very sharp used that way, but you might like that and it would give you more coverage.

SoulfulRecover
14-Dec-2015, 12:50
The Unofocal can probably be separated, using the back half, at about twice its focal length and two stops slower, and it will be not very sharp used that way, but you might like that and it would give you more coverage.

This sounds interesting however Im not sure I understand. How would the back half be mounted if the it is removed? Would it be placed else where within the camera on an additional board?

Im a bit new to the intricacies of large format.

mdarnton
14-Dec-2015, 12:57
Just unscrew the front of the lens from the front of the shutter, leaving a hole. Nothing else.

SoulfulRecover
14-Dec-2015, 13:04
Just unscrew the front of the lens from the front of the shutter, leaving a hole. Nothing else.

OH ok. easy enough. Thought it would still need both halves to function properly. Thank you for the information

Any idea if I would be able to mount the JML to either of the shutters supplied with the lenses?

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg165/AlTheKiller12/s-l16005_zpsptouykvl.jpg (http://s248.photobucket.com/user/AlTheKiller12/media/s-l16005_zpsptouykvl.jpg.html)

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg165/AlTheKiller12/s-l1600_zpsscgjeyij.jpg (http://s248.photobucket.com/user/AlTheKiller12/media/s-l1600_zpsscgjeyij.jpg.html)

mdarnton
14-Dec-2015, 13:15
That's something you can only do with certain lenses, and this one qualifies, though the original manufacturer wouldn't like it.

Dan Fromm
14-Dec-2015, 13:43
The Unofokal was made by Steinheil and by Beck (London) under license. The VM says:

Series 1 f4.5 This was made in 11-50cm, and covered 60° and 5 or 6in was suggested for
5x4in and covered 11x15cm closed down. Actual foci listed were 110, 135, 150, 195, 240, 300, 400, 500mm,
and these were so well liked that they were in use for many years. They should be brilliant and contrasty and
give even illumination and have especially good colour correction. In fact, until recently, one example, a
f4.5/150mm No 298,65x in a Compur was in regular professional use. Another Unofocal seen was a 12cm f4.5
in dial Compur at No 180,10x, and a f4.5/135mm No193,45x was noted at auction on a 9x12cm Tropical. It
was sold partly as a portrait lens where it would have been a really sharp type. It was suggested to use 24cm
for 13x18cm, or 16x21cm closed down.

No mention of convertibility, but since the lens is a double anastigmat it ought to be convertible.

Years ago I tried out an MP-5 135/4.5 Tominon on 2x3. IMO it is mediocre. Passes light, forms an image but there are much better lenses at that focal length.

SoulfulRecover
14-Dec-2015, 14:16
Lots of great information. thank you!

mdarnton
14-Dec-2015, 14:36
By the way, I meant that you could split the Unafofal, not that the other would fit the shutter. That's a probably not.

Dan Fromm
14-Dec-2015, 15:03
By the way, I meant that you could split the Unafofal, not that the other would fit the shutter. That's a probably not.

MP-4 Tominons are in barrels threaded to screw into the front of a #1 shutter. The OP's 135/4.5 Tominon is screwed into the front of an MP-4 shutter.

SoulfulRecover
15-Dec-2015, 10:52

Ah ok. Im guessing that's something I wont know until I have everything in hand.

Everything was dropped off at USPS last night so I am impatiently waiting the arrival of all my goodies :D

I have 4 boxes of film just waiting to be used.