PDA

View Full Version : Hermann Krone with his photography equipment, circa 1860. What a collection!!

Lachlan 717
14-Dec-2015, 00:24

Leszek Vogt
14-Dec-2015, 00:52
Ha, 26 lenses....and this dude has no scanner. Cool stuff, tho.

Les

LabRat
14-Dec-2015, 02:38
Might be suffering from GAS???

Steve K

RSalles
14-Dec-2015, 06:17
Ha, 26 lenses....and this dude has no scanner. Cool stuff, tho.

Les

Twenty-seven maybe, as this could be a "selfie",

Cheers,

Renato

Peter Lewin
14-Dec-2015, 06:41
Might be suffering from GAS???

Steve K
Well, without eBay and the LFPF, how could he sell them?

Jim Jones
14-Dec-2015, 08:16
Well, without eBay and the LFPF, how did he ever find them?

Willie
14-Dec-2015, 09:40
No beard?

Huub
14-Dec-2015, 10:18
And no hat aka shutter!

Tin Can
14-Dec-2015, 10:26
I like the stabilizers on the tripod camera.

The 'fireplace' sized camera!

Jim Galli
14-Dec-2015, 13:06
Looks like a bloke I could identify with ;~'))

Jim C.
14-Dec-2015, 13:44
Are you sure it's not picture of Garrett and his lenses ?
;)

Mr. Krone wins, he has the most photographic toys !

roger-wilco-66
15-Dec-2015, 04:29
He surely couldn't hide that stuff from his wife, especially that XL-LF monster!
On the other hand, it is large enough that one could disguise it, e.g. as wine or liquor cabinet.

Cheers,
Mark

Michael Roberts
15-Dec-2015, 05:26
I like the stabilizers on the tripod camera.

The 'fireplace' sized camera!

Yeah, I noticed that right away, too, Randy. Might have to try that....

Michael E
16-Dec-2015, 18:32
No beard?

Not yet. I later pictures, he features a formidable full beard.

Two23
16-Dec-2015, 21:11
He surely couldn't hide that stuff from his wife, especially that XL-LF monster!
On the other hand, it is large enough that one could disguise it, e.g. as wine or liquor cabinet.

Maybe he's the first guy to discover the secret: tell your wife you need it to take pictures of the kids.

Kent in SD

Steven Tribe
17-Dec-2015, 06:01
I have a studio camera where the remains of the two side stabilisers can still be seen. It was quite a normal fixture on the bigger rejsekameras - that is, tailboard design with no side movements. I have an 18x24 and an 24x30cm with a full set of 4 fitments. Obviously a as an bought extra, not a home made addition. It really makes things solid. I have two sets of hollow bronze tubing as the longer tubing for maximum extension creates problems for F adjustment and film loading/dark slide when they protrude. I often use just one because of this problem.

roger-wilco-66
4-Jan-2016, 02:56
This thread has started quite a stirrup on my side over here.

Somehow the name Hermann Krone struck a string and I told my father about it - and he immediately told me that my great grandfather wrote a book about Hermann Krone that never had been published. When we visited my parents over Christmas we went through all kinds of bits and pieces of old family belongings, there it was - the whole manuscript, written in the 1920ies with a collection of old photographs of and by Hermann Krone himself - including a large print of the photo at the beginning of this thread. You can imagine that I almost fell from the chair!

My great Grandfather, Fritz Schimmer, was very active in photography and wrote several books in the 1920ies and 1930ies about the subject. He tried to promote photography as an art, which was regarded rather as a craft by the artist societies in these times. Needless to say he met some stiff opposition doing so, but he prevailed.

So now our next project will be to see that this manuscript, together with the photographic material, will be published, 50 years after my great grandfather left this world.

Thanks for this kick off!

Cheers,
Mark

Steven Tribe
4-Jan-2016, 13:49
Very, very, interesting!

There are some advantages in the considerable delay in publication. Reproduction of photographs is far better to-day and you can add a section on the gradual demise of local studios in providing a service for local society.

I would thought there would be interest in this, but perhaps better if you used the text as a starting point and a source of factual information rather than as something to be "reproduced" without editing?

A better reproduction of the OP's image (or other photos of the studio set-up) would be much appreciated by the historical interested amongst us!

Is this the Germany based Fritz Schimmel who published there in 1924?

roger-wilco-66
4-Jan-2016, 14:47
Steven,

it is Dr. Fritz Schimmer, who wrote "Rangerhöhung der Fotografie" and worked together on several other interesting projects and books with Dora Menzler, Selma Genthe and others in the 1920ies and 30ies. He also founded the first official fotographic media institute in Germany in 1924, which was located first in Chemnitz and later in Dresden.

If it is published it should be done so with scientific, historical considerations, in my opinion, with only moderate (and noted) editing to keep it as original as possible. But these are things that have to be part of the plan that we, my father and I, will bring into being now.

Best,
Mark Schimmer

Lachlan 717
5-Jan-2016, 00:57
Great story!