PDA

View Full Version : tri-x in xtol development time (can you dilute?)

dan otranto
3-Mar-2005, 16:51
Im used to processing tri-x 320 (shot at 160) for ten minutes at 68 degrees in D76 at 1:1, it says on the Xtol packet that tri-x 320 will need 7 3/4 minutes for development, but im assuming thats straight, can you dilute the xtol to 1:1 like D76? If so, how long would the development time change to?

also, im used to developing prints in some other D series print developer (i forget, D73 or something), and I dilute it 1:4- can I dilute Dektol 1:4 for developing prints as well?

thanks

Kevin Crisp
3-Mar-2005, 16:59
Jack: Try this site: http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/xtol/

Or get Kodak's instructions which include the current 1:1 dilutions. These are available off Kodak's website. The first one has the old recommendations for 1:2 and 1:3 dilution, though there is some thought that the dilutions were related to the early problems people had with xtol. Honestly you will have to look pretty hard to see any difference vs. D76 or even HC110.

Bruce Watson
3-Mar-2005, 18:01
You can dilute XTOL. I use it for 4x5 Tri-X sheets at 1:3. I've been using 1:3 for years - very consistent, never a problem.

One of the joys of using diluted XTOL is that it results in higher film speed. My EI for Tri-X in XTOL 1:3 turns out to be 320. Of course, YMMV.

Gem Singer
4-Mar-2005, 07:03
Hi Jack,

Regarding your second question,the paper developer you are referring to is old Kodak D-72 Universal Paper Developer. It was a similar formulation (almost identical) to Kodak Dektol. D-72 could be diluted 1:4 for softer, warmer tones. However, I wouldn't dilute Dektol any more than 1:3. Too much dilution will increase the development time and decrease the capacity. It may not be possible to reach maximum black in the print before the paper fogs. If you insist on using Dektol at 1:4, add some Benzotriazole to the tray of developer and expect long development times.

Mark Sampson
4-Mar-2005, 10:16
The trick with diluted XTOL is to use at least 100ml of stock solution per 8x10 sheet of film. Obviously not an issue with sheet film, where total volume in the tray or tank is greater, but worth remembering when processing 35mm or 120 in small tanks.

Ed Workman
5-Mar-2005, 10:28
The 1:2 and 1:3 dilutions still work. Kodak pulled them as recommendations cuz aged mixed Xtol loses energy-and there is no visual clue as it doesn't change color. I have proven THEIR point by using old stock solution diluted 1:3, and then proved MY point by mixing fresh stock and diluting to 1:3.
I note that the current packaging is new material and seems more moisture resistant for longer shelf life?

tim atherton
5-Mar-2005, 13:36
let me know if you need the Kodak Data sheets with the 1:2 and 1:3 times ( I think I can still find the pdf's...)