PDA

View Full Version : Flash socket on a Compound shutter

Laskadog
10-Dec-2015, 10:14
I have a Schneider 240mm f4.5 Xenar lens on a Compound shutter. Does anyone know if I can plug modern strobes on the PC socket?

Thanks,

D

Bob Salomon
10-Dec-2015, 10:42
Plug in, yes, sync properly, no. To check plug it in, set it to 4.5. Point it and the flash to a wall. Fire the shutter. If you see a clear, round light circle it is synced. If you only see part of the circle illuminated it is M synch. You can keep trying at different shutter speeds to see if it does synch at some speed.

Jac@stafford.net
10-Dec-2015, 10:48
Bob is probably right. Chances are good that it will synch at slower than 1/20.

Laskadog
10-Dec-2015, 11:43
Thanks for clearing that up. I might be able to play with the timing a little using pocket wizards, but hardly worth it since the max speed is only 1/75s anyways.

Cheers,

DrTang
10-Dec-2015, 12:12
mine seem to work okay with strobes

LabRat
11-Dec-2015, 07:06
Most added on flash sync is X sync, because M required delay time from when the bulb was tripped (and reached peak output), and then the shutter opened... So that means that a little clockwork delay was needed... Added X sync was usually from a contact that touched the shutter blade lever inside when the shutter reached open...

Hook it up to a strobe, and look through the shutter as it fires (aim strobe at a wall, or white card)... If you get blinded, it's in sync... (You might see a slight shape of the shutter blades burned into your retinas and a little dimmer if out of sync...) But sometimes the old added contacts need to be tweaked on old shutters...

Steve K

Bob Salomon
11-Dec-2015, 07:17
Most added on flash sync is X sync, because M required delay time from when the bulb was tripped (and reached peak output), and then the shutter opened... So that means that a little clockwork delay was needed... Added X sync was usually from a contact that touched the shutter blade lever inside when the shutter reached open...

Hook it up to a strobe, and look through the shutter as it fires (aim strobe at a wall, or white card)... If you get blinded, it's in sync... (You might see a slight shape of the shutter blades burned into your retinas and a little dimmer if out of sync...) But sometimes the old added contacts need to be tweaked on old shutters...

Steve K

See 2

LabRat
11-Dec-2015, 07:42
See 2

Sorry Bob, shoulda tipped my hat to you on the way in, to your excellent advice... I just tried to expand it a little...

Just trying to keep it all alive... Happy Holidays!!!

Steve K

Laskadog
11-Dec-2015, 18:24
Thanks again for the advice. Will try it shortly and post the results for the archives ;)