PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me some lenses.

hoffy
10-Dec-2015, 04:04
Hi Folks,

I am looking at some advice on what might be a good lens to suit the style of photography I am trying to achieve.

Basically, I like shooting at Hot Rod shows. I have been using Medium Format at shows for a few years now and would like to think I am starting to get my own style. I tend to focus in close and use a lot of shallow depth of field. I am also starting to explore more low down wide angled shots. I am currently using a Bronica SQAi, with 50mm, 80mm and 110mm lenses.

Examples of what I currently do can be found via this album on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ashhoff/albums/72157629889366346

After taking my Toyo 45A to a show last weekend, I am now keen to explore using this camera more regularly. But, I am a little clueless on what lenses I should be looking for and what people might recommend.

At the moment, my only lens is a Caltar 210mm F6.8. For starters, I am thinking something a little faster might suit. But what focal lengths? What could I get away with, using my Toyo that would suit the looks I am trying to explore? I am assuming that I would need something wider and something a bit longer, but what? Does anyone have any specific lenses that they could recommend, without breaking the bank?

Cheers

JaZ99
10-Dec-2015, 04:23
My current setup is Fujinon 105/5.6, Caltar II-N 150/5.6 and Fujinon 240/9. This set is almost all I need. If I was in your shoes, I'd acquire Caltar II-N 135/5.6, which is small and cheap.

RSalles
10-Dec-2015, 05:09
For the WA shots you're making with the 50mm lens, the equivalent would be a 90/135 mm lens on 4x5. as the Fujinon-W or Schneider Super-Angulon. Those would be my bet for an affordable shopping, with graphic quality as well,

Cheers,

Renato

Bob Salomon
10-Dec-2015, 06:35
90mm. All 90mm lenses, from all lens manufacturers are now out of production, as are most all other LF lenses. The best would be the 90mm 4.5 Grandagon-N from Rodenstock. But like all the others, they are only found used today. Also, all lenses of this type exhibit fall-off which is corrected by an optional center filter. They are also out of production except those that are used with digital view camera lenses.

Tim Meisburger
10-Dec-2015, 07:03
Have a look at Jim Galli's site (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com). He does a lot of interesting car pictures in soft focus or wide open with lens ranging from simple and cheap meniscus to some of the most expensive antique soft focus lenses available.

EdSawyer
10-Dec-2015, 10:41
Actually, I think the best 90mm is the 90mm f/8 from nikon. It's smaller, lighter, and has bascially the same coverage as the faster ones, but it's also significantly sharper. For fast/shallow DOF, you can also employ tilt to get that out of focus effect, so lens speed is not as critical if that is what you are going for. For faster LF lenses that might be interesting, I think the 135mm f/3.5 Xenotar is a great lens and worth seeking out if you can.

Jac@stafford.net
10-Dec-2015, 11:11
I am currently using a Bronica SQAi, with 50mm, 80mm and 110mm lenses.

Rule of thumb is to double the focal lengths, choosing the closest approximation to those that exist for 4x5. I have never been disappointed with Rodenstock. Ed's suggestion for the 135mm f/3.5 Xenotar is enticing. I use the same FL and F with the insanely priced Planar. No need to go there.

DrTang
10-Dec-2015, 12:27
use a tripod..the cars ain't goin anywhere

then you can shoot at f16-f22

Jim Galli
10-Dec-2015, 14:32
Thanks Tim. You don't need to spend a ton of money, although, the first lens I thought of was the Schneider Xenotar 2.8 150mm. Don't get hung up on modern ~ multi-coating types either. Older f4.5 Xenar's (tessar's) shine for the kind of work at your page you listed. Almost anything you do with LF will have nicer bokeh than the Bronny was giving you. A wee 10CM Dagor is a force to be reckoned with. Soo many good lenses, so little time.

Check out these little gem's (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?67483-Antique-4X5-Achromatic-Meniscus-Lens-in-modern-Copal-Shutter!&highlight=antique+meniscus) that I get and re-mount once in a while. Lots of the people that bought them added images to the original ad done with the lens.

ScottPhotoCo
10-Dec-2015, 15:38
Here's an odd question for a large format forum, but what do you want from large format that you're not getting from your medium format? Clearly defining that may help you find what you need. I went through the same process not long ago and now, after 5 years of photographing car events, I am finding the tools and approach that works for me.

Here is a sample of my 2013 images. 2104 and 2015 still to come.

https://flickr.com/photos/12411796@N00/sets/72157636886141894

Bill_1856
10-Dec-2015, 16:31
Stick with your Bronica. Obviously it works well for you -- don't change unless there's a good reason.

Alan Gales
10-Dec-2015, 16:51
I'd stick with the Bronica. Handheld you can lean over and get great shots of the engines and interiors of the cars that you can't shoot off a tripod.

If you really want to do 4x5 I would keep the 210 and add a 90 and 135mm. Just don't sell the Bronica.

hoffy
10-Dec-2015, 17:17
Hi Folks!

Thanks for all the replies! I'll answer a few of them individually.

90mm. All 90mm lenses, from all lens manufacturers are now out of production, as are most all other LF lenses. The best would be the 90mm 4.5 Grandagon-N from Rodenstock. But like all the others, they are only found used today. Also, all lenses of this type exhibit fall-off which is corrected by an optional center filter. They are also out of production except those that are used with digital view camera lenses.
Buying second hand is not a problem for me. As a matter of fact, for my LF journey, I well and truly plan on using second hand gear.

Have a look at Jim Galli's site (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com). He does a lot of interesting car pictures in soft focus or wide open with lens ranging from simple and cheap meniscus to some of the most expensive antique soft focus lenses available.
Thanks for the tip! I will check him out. Ultimately, in the end I'd love to explore using old lenses, but at this stage using newer quality lenses will only help with my LF learning journey.

Actually, I think the best 90mm is the 90mm f/8 from nikon. It's smaller, lighter, and has bascially the same coverage as the faster ones, but it's also significantly sharper. For fast/shallow DOF, you can also employ tilt to get that out of focus effect, so lens speed is not as critical if that is what you are going for. For faster LF lenses that might be interesting, I think the 135mm f/3.5 Xenotar is a great lens and worth seeking out if you can.
Ha! I am still a bit intimidated by using movements on a LF camera! But I will keep it in mind and as I grow more confident with what I can do, I'm sure that this will apply.

Thanks Tim. You don't need to spend a ton of money, although, the first lens I thought of was the Schneider Xenotar 2.8 150mm. Don't get hung up on modern ~ multi-coating types either. Older f4.5 Xenar's (tessar's) shine for the kind of work at your page you listed. Almost anything you do with LF will have nicer bokeh than the Bronny was giving you. A wee 10CM Dagor is a force to be reckoned with. Soo many good lenses, so little time.

Check out these little gem's (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?67483-Antique-4X5-Achromatic-Meniscus-Lens-in-modern-Copal-Shutter!&highlight=antique+meniscus) that I get and re-mount once in a while. Lots of the people that bought them added images to the original ad done with the lens.
Nice work Jim! When I get home from work I'll dig in a bit further with your images. Some inspiration there indeed.

Here's an odd question for a large format forum, but what do you want from large format that you're not getting from your medium format? Clearly defining that may help you find what you need. I went through the same process not long ago and now, after 5 years of photographing car events, I am finding the tools and approach that works for me.

Here is a sample of my 2013 images. 2104 and 2015 still to come.

https://flickr.com/photos/12411796@N00/sets/72157636886141894
Firstly, again, nice work! OK, what do I want to achieve? I want to be able to better explore playing with selective focus and getting the most out of the depth of field. I also want to see what I can do with a Large Format camera working with cars. There is a novelty factor involved as well. This is a hobby for me and it is fun getting out and about with cameras that people don't normally see. Finally, though, my ultimate end game is to shoot Tin Types in these kinds of environments. I could image that this is part of the long game. I really want to learn how to use my 4x5 first, including making the most out of the movements and once I have that mastered, then look at dry plates first, then wet plates eventually, including exploration of different and older lenses.

Stick with your Bronica. Obviously it works well for you -- don't change unless there's a good reason.

I'd stick with the Bronica. Handheld you can lean over and get great shots of the engines and interiors of the cars that you can't shoot off a tripod.

If you really want to do 4x5 I would keep the 210 and add a 90 and 135mm. Just don't sell the Bronica.

Thanks for your comments! Don't worry, the Bronica isn't going anywhere (I also shoot with a S2a, a Minolta Autocord and a Koni Omega). I do enjoy using those cameras hand held or monopod mounted and can't see that I will stop!

Cheers for all of your responses.

jp
10-Dec-2015, 19:26
Car show people are a friendly bunch and a LF camera will fuel much conversation. Hope you can multitask (talk and operate LF camera at the same time).

For the best smoothness at not-wide-open, look for something in an older (non copal 0/1) shutter which may have more blades. The compound shutters generally had more aperture blades, and the copal-3/3s shutters had more blades. Wide open it won't much matter.

hoffy
10-Dec-2015, 20:34
Car show people are a friendly bunch and a LF camera will fuel much conversation. Hope you can multitask (talk and operate LF camera at the same time).

For the best smoothness at not-wide-open, look for something in an older (non copal 0/1) shutter which may have more blades. The compound shutters generally had more aperture blades, and the copal-3/3s shutters had more blades. Wide open it won't much matter.

Ahhhh, see, this is why I am a LF newbie! I would have never considered the shutter as being an influencing factor.

xkaes
20-Jan-2016, 08:34
You can't go wrong with Fujinon lenses -- and they have a LOT to choose from! Check them out at www.subclub.org/fujinon/index.htm

rich815
20-Jan-2016, 09:24
You can't go wrong with Fujinon lenses -- and they have a LOT to choose from! Check them out at www.subclub.org/fujinon/index.htm

I'll second that. I have Fujinons in 90/135/180/210 that are simply terrific.