PDA

View Full Version : help

robin willey
2-Mar-2005, 14:42
Hi everyone

I live in the uk, this is my first time with you guy's hopefully this will develope into something !!

I'm considering changing my Wista DX camera for a used toyo 45a complete with 2 Rodenstock lenses 1x apo sironar n 120mm f5.6 (not macro) & 1x apo sironar n 180mm f5.6 lens. I don't have the serial numbers to date them however I'm having problem's in finding information on the apo sironar 120mm lens f5.6 len's. I have tried searching without sucesses can anyone help please. The guy will only sell the toyo as a complete kit with these lenses.

My current lenses : 1 x schneider 90mm f5.6 super angulon. 1 x schneider apo symmar 150mm f5.6 lens .

Thank you for your time I look forward toy your response

Regards Robin

Paul Butzi
2-Mar-2005, 14:48
I've never heard of a 120mm f/5.6 Apo-Sironar-N.

A while ago, Bob Saloman sent me copies of the most recent Rodenstock literature, so that I could scan it and put it up on the web. You can find it athttp://www.butzi.net/rodenstock/rodenstock.htm

Note that the Apo-Sironar-N literature doesn't list a 120mm version.

Could the seller be confused?

Kerry L. Thalmann
2-Mar-2005, 15:06
The seller is confused. There is/was no 120mm APO-Sironar-N. It's a plain Sironar-N (no APO prefix) that was made briefly in the late 1980s. With an image circle of only 175mm, it wasn't a big seller. The ones I've seen were inexplicably in Copal No. 1 shutters, while the longer 135mm and 150mm Sironar-N models came in smaller, lighter, cheaper Copal No. 0 shutters. So, you end up with a lens that has limited coverage and is bigger, heavier and more expensive than it needs to be. It's no surprise this lens didn't sell very well and had a very short production life. Still, if you can live with the 175mm image circle (should be plenty for 6x9 or 6x12 roll film use), it should be an excellent performer.

Kerry

Edward (Halifax,NS)
2-Mar-2005, 19:19
I wouldn't do it. 4 lenses covering 90-180mm is overkill and Toyo45A is not rare. KEH has two for between $800-900. Excluding any deal, what lenses would you like to have? If I were you I would add either a 210 or 240, but everyone is different. I think that you could reasonably buy the camera you want and sell the one you have and end up spending about $200 or less. That's my 2 cents.

Bill_1856
2-Mar-2005, 20:02
Keep what you've got.

Gem Singer
2-Mar-2005, 20:20
Hi Robin,

The Toyo 45A is the older model of the Toyo folding flatbed field camera. It was replaced by the 45AII and the AX a while back. Whereas, the Wista DX that you have is still in production. The two Schneider lenses that you already have are excellent lenses.

My advice is free. Take it for what it's worth. If you want to spend some money to improve your kit, add a Schneider 210 to your lens collection and continue to enjoy your Wista.

robin willey
3-Mar-2005, 02:51
Thank you everyone for your quick response.

The seller of the lenses has confirmed it's the Rodenstock apo sironar n 120mm f5.6 lens and not the macro version ah well something strange going on here, In addition the guy selling the kit on ebay is starting the bidding at £1000 pounds !! {no bids} with 2 day's to go he says it is in mint condition.

I have decided to keep my Wista and purchase another lens, the problem with the Wista 45 DX the quality of the components. It's a pity you can't purchase a upgrade kit ( if only I had a machine shop )!!

Thanks again

Best wishes

Robin