PDA

View Full Version : Troublesome JOBO Reversing Mechanism s

Jim Galli
7-Dec-2015, 12:28
2 JOBO CPP / CPA laying around the house and the common point of failure is the reversing switch.

Has anyone made their own? Re-route the motor leads through time delay relays and forget the mechanical / electro nightmare that JOBO used?

Just thought I'd ask first before I dive in. There's got to be something more reliable than the stupid mechanical fingers that are causing me heartburn. I hope.

ic-racer
7-Dec-2015, 12:32
What is the problem, does not reverse as it should? Does you switch look like this? Maybe the contacts need to be cleaned and polished.

Jim Galli
7-Dec-2015, 12:34
Yes. 2 for 2. Both JOBOs have had this problem. The CPP is almost new and already malfunctioning.

photonsoup
7-Dec-2015, 14:57
I know that everybody wants them to reverse, but I only run mine in one direction. I decided it would put less stress on everything else. When I used BTZS tubes I never reversed rotation so I thought, why not try it? I've only done B&W but I've never had any issues.

vinny
7-Dec-2015, 15:02
I know that everybody wants them to reverse, but I only run mine in one direction. I decided it would put less stress on everything else. When I used BTZS tubes I never reversed rotation so I thought, why not try it? I've only done B&W but I've never had any issues.
One direction is fine for Expert drums (has been for me) but not recommended for other drums.

onnect17
7-Dec-2015, 15:45
Jim, the cpe2+ replaced the mechanical switch for an electronic control of the motor. The circuit is very basic, a ac/dc converter, an oscillator and a power driver. Let me know if you are interested in the diagram.

Duolab123
9-Dec-2015, 16:47
2 JOBO CPP / CPA laying around the house and the common point of failure is the reversing switch.

Has anyone made their own? Re-route the motor leads through time delay relays and forget the mechanical / electro nightmare that JOBO used?

Just thought I'd ask first before I dive in. There's got to be something more reliable than the stupid mechanical fingers that are causing me heartburn. I hope.

I had similar problem on two units , I pulled the cover, and reattached the birds foot ,square hole on square shaft. Just a loosened screw but I had to pull the cover in both cases. Be careful as you can pull the motor speed control switch apart, and replacing that is a bit of a pain. 50 bucks from Catlabs and it's not a drop-in does work like a Swiss watch now though. CPE2 PLUS & CPP3 are totally electronic no mechanical switching.

Sirius Glass
9-Dec-2015, 17:08
Contact Dave Smith at joboman@aol.com or at http://www.darkroomdoctor.com/ has Jobo parts at good prices. I would bet that he would do a service call in Tonopah Nevada for the right price. Actually he and his wife have been very helpful and the prices were quite good.

Jim Galli
9-Dec-2015, 17:58
Thanks for the interest and the answers. I had to go out of town for a few days so didn't get any further in the project. I see that the motor is just 2 wires, so obviously DC and the board and relay reverses polarity. That was as far as I got though.