PDA

View Full Version : POLL: do you use back movements on your Technika?

Bill_1856
2-Mar-2005, 08:50
How often do you use the back movements on your 4x5 Technika? a: almost always; b: frequently; c: occasionally; d: rarely; e: never. (I'm planning an article on the five most popular used press-type cameras.) TIA.

Ole Tjugen
2-Mar-2005, 09:16
If I'm aøøowed to answer (I sold my 5x7" Technika today), put me down for a B.

J. P. Mose
2-Mar-2005, 09:24
Put me down for a "C".

Ben Calwell
2-Mar-2005, 10:06
Put me down as "a." My 5x7 Linhof's front standard does'nt have front tilt, so if the scene calls for it, I always have to tilt the back.

adrian tyler
2-Mar-2005, 10:06
"b" for me

David A. Goldfarb
2-Mar-2005, 10:34
"C" for me, mainly for still life.

Oren Grad
2-Mar-2005, 10:46
Are you also interested in use of the comparable four-post back movements on Horseman press cameras?

Scott Rosenberg
2-Mar-2005, 10:49
bill, put me down for a or b... in fact, this was the reason that i sold the technika for a technikardan. i found the rear movements difficult with the technika.

Huw Evans
2-Mar-2005, 10:57
a.

As with Scott, that's the reason (well, one of them) why I have just bought a Technikardan, though I haven't sold my Technika yet (not sure I can bear to).

Bill_1856
2-Mar-2005, 10:58
Thanks Oren, but only interested in Technika users at this time.

Oren Grad
2-Mar-2005, 11:02
Bill - OK. Do let us know where the article appears when it's done.

Bill_1856
2-Mar-2005, 11:24
For those who asked, I did a several months survey of eBay and discovered that five cameras showed up 95% of the listings for press-type cameras. These were: Pacemaker Speed and Crown Graphics, Linhof Technika (IV, V, and Master), Busch Pressman D, and Super Graphic. I was surprised at the relative rarity of B&J, MPP, Horseman, and other brands. I already had the first three, so bought nice samples of the other two and have used them for the last 2+ years, so I'm ready to write a user's comparison.

William D. Lester
2-Mar-2005, 11:41
Put me down for 'C' as well.

Kirk Keyes
2-Mar-2005, 12:10
B - I almost never use from tilt.

Kirk - Technika IV

Brian Ellis
2-Mar-2005, 12:13
d on my Master Technika and before that on my Technika V and before that on my Technikardan.

KenM
2-Mar-2005, 12:16
C for me on my Master Tech.

Brad Rippe
2-Mar-2005, 12:27
Bill, my answer would be a 'c'. I am actually reluctantly selling my Technica V because I would like to use back tilt more often and I've found the Tech V rear tilt difficult for me. For example, after focus is achieved, I've experienced a slight adjustment when the knobs are tightened. I learned on a monorail and used a sinar f in the field for many years and have never been totally at ease with the Tech V.

Juergen Sattler
2-Mar-2005, 12:44
I used a Technika III, version 5 for two years and ended up selling it, replacing it with a Canham 4x5 all metal camera. I just wasn't happy with the movements on the Technika, including the back movements - it's not very convinient when you are under darkcloth and you have to open those 4 screws and then fiddle around with the back. The front movements were a pain whenever you used wide angle lenses - my fingers couldn't get to the controls anymore. Put me down for a "d".

Juergen

JohanHB
2-Mar-2005, 14:50
B on a Tech V

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
2-Mar-2005, 15:30
A more than b for me on Master Techninca.
Perhaps an old habit.

Neal Shields
2-Mar-2005, 15:52
Technica V, "C"

My favorite lens is a 75 Biogon and I run out of image circle with front movements very quickly.

Then I have to go to my 90 SA or use rear movements

Bob Salomon
2-Mar-2005, 16:20
" my fingers couldn't get to the controls anymore"

You wouldn't have that problem with the latest recessed board for the Technika and TK. It has the aperture scale on the face of the board with a pointer and aperture selector. On the side of the board is the press focus lever and a red dot so you can tell at a glance if it is in the open position.

Capocheny
2-Mar-2005, 19:22
When I had my Master Technika... c or d for me.

Cheers

Frank Petronio
2-Mar-2005, 20:48
b on a Tech 4

Paul Butler
3-Mar-2005, 07:05
"B" on a Technika II 5x7. I don't find the movements inconvenient at all. I use rear movements instead of front whenever possible. This way, lens coverage isn't usually an issue. I find I don't have a problem with the fact that the knobs on the right and on the left unscrew in two different directions. They both go counter-clockwise. And usually you only need to unscrew two of them. It takes maybe 3 seconds to swing/tilt the back. Usually I know before going under the dark cloth with the loupe, whether I will need to apply movements or not. The back never moves once you tighten the knobs again.

Once in a long while, I run out of swing on the back and I need to swing the front - only for close-up compositions. This doesn't happen often, as I am generally using the camera outdoors. If you analyse the location of the plane of focus relative to the film plane for most compositions, you find that extreme movements are rarely appropriate. Most of the time, the only movements I apply on the front are rise/fall and shift.

Paul Metcalf
3-Mar-2005, 21:18
c on tech V

Peter Galea
3-Mar-2005, 22:10
B on the Master 2000, and oh yeah, b on anything that moves...err....anything with movements.

Jean-Louis Llech
4-Mar-2005, 10:39
B on my Master Technika, and sometimes with an angle indicator.
Why this pool, please ?

Dan Neilson
5-Mar-2005, 12:29
Although I am using a Color Kardan (the front and back are essentially a Technika V on a rail), the movements are the same. I'm an A.

jose angel
27-Jun-2005, 13:06
"d" on Technika IV. I can´t assure that never use it...