PDA

View Full Version : Fix dent in filter thread?

McGirton
6-Dec-2015, 09:59
In a chain of unfortunate events my Linhof / Schneider 210mm made harsh contact with a marble floor.. Being extremely lucky in said unfortunate situation the only part of the lens that took damage was the filter thread which took all of the impact. Everything else is fine.

I bought one of those Neewer filter thread wrenches but the sheer size of the lens seems too big. And there is no real manual for it so I'm kind of hesitant to put real force on it.

With protective cover on the glass I tried to bend it back with plyers (protecting the thread as well) but the metal is so thick, I think I need quite a bit of force there as well.

Now the question, how can I fix it? If anybody has a trick up their sleeves please share.

PS: I usually always had a filter or a lens hood on my lenses to protect them, but this one is new and the lenshood in the mail. I was literally taking it out for the first time :(

Steven Tribe
6-Dec-2015, 10:31
There is a thread in DIY section. Involves cutting convex/concave wood sections.

cowanw
6-Dec-2015, 11:51
I feel for you. You must be just sick about it.

McGirton
6-Dec-2015, 12:06
I feel for you. You must be just sick about it.

Yeah, I am extremely bummed out. Especially because I usually protect my lenses and never dropped one before.

Bob Salomon
6-Dec-2015, 12:15
Yeah, I am extremely bummed out. Especially because I usually protect my lenses and never dropped one before.

Virtually any camera repair shop can fix it.

cowanw
6-Dec-2015, 12:22
Apug has a number of threads on the subject.
One thing I read that made a lot of sense to me was that pressure should be applied to the shoulder of the dent, gradually coming to the centre.
Also creating a wooden disc of the size of the circle you need, then cut it in less than half, such that it fits in.
The outside cut is used outside the dented ring.
The squeeze is between the two pieces of wood, which on the inside should form to the threads.
this way you get the precise diameter of your lens.
Or pay a professional
Or sell it and buy another.
Or leave it, set it aside until your emotions settle. That's what I did with a Verito I dinged and was able to use it without feeling bad. But I don't use filters on it.
Good Luck

Sirius Glass
6-Dec-2015, 15:51
I scraped up the coating of a once expensive lens by working on the dent. Never again. Even with the right tools, which I had, will I do it again. Send it off for repair and cost is well worth it.

Pierre 2
6-Dec-2015, 16:24
It really depend on the extent of the dent : I am threading steel pipe section of a smaller diameter than the internal diameter and then, banging on that piece to straighten the thread (also have provisions to squeeze between to pieces - threaded internal - with a bolt). It is a work in progress on a 360mm Componon and it worked worked on a Conley 8x10 soft focus (was then able to disassemble the front element for cleaning) but did not work on the back element where some previous owner had made a real mess with pliers (cracks opening in the deepest part of the threads). Was still able to disassemble the back element from the internal side for cleaning but the thread on the back element is hopeless. It might have been hopeless anyway if the dent was severe enough...

Stephen Thomason
6-Dec-2015, 16:26
I agree with Sirius.

I have heard that a wooden dowel and a jeweler's hammer applied carefully may help. If it is not dented enough to interfere with the image circle, then use it as is and use another method for holding your filters.

Accidents happen - don't beat yourself up about it.

Ian Gordon Bilson
6-Dec-2015, 22:02
Stephens reply is good.
I dented the front ring in my Micro Nikkor 55/2.8. The concave former, a wooden dowel with a shaped end,and grooves cut with a blade to approximate the filter threading + A few taps with a LFH (Little Freakin Hammer) - success.
The Nikkor has very thin metal in this area, so your lens should respond well.
Pliers are the worst tool for this repair.

McGirton
7-Dec-2015, 04:48
Thanks guys, a lot of good suggestions. I am going to a repair shop which told me on the phone that they are capable of fixing such things. We'll see what happens-

In case it doesn't work, may I ask how to attach filters / hoods differently than with the thread?

Bob Salomon
7-Dec-2015, 06:52
Thanks guys, a lot of good suggestions. I am going to a repair shop which told me on the phone that they are capable of fixing such things. We'll see what happens-

In case it doesn't work, may I ask how to attach filters / hoods differently than with the thread?

Relax, it is a simple repair. Tools are made specifically for this repair.
If you have brass mounted filters you should have no further problems mounting them. If you are using plastic or aluminum mounted filters you might consider replacing them. Brass mounted ones will be better optical quality as well.

LabRat
7-Dec-2015, 07:42
After the repair, if the threads work, but a little difficult to thread a filter to, get a decent filter (like Bob mentioned), and remove the glass, so the threaded ring will screw into the lens... Leave this on the lens, so the new ring's front threads will be the new threads to screw your filters into...

Steve K