PDA

View Full Version : Red "D" on Nikkor-W 300mm f5.6

tgtaylor
4-Dec-2015, 11:10
I have a mint Nikkor-W 300mm f5.6 lens that has a red "D" inscribed on the barrel about 1/2" from the serial number. It appears it was put there by the factory as it is incised with the same quality and is inline with the lettering. Does anyone know what the red "D" means?

Thanks,

Thomas

Here's what it looks like: 7th picture down from the top: (Click to enlarge).

http://blog-imgs-85.fc2.com/k/e/n/kenkoudaisuki88/20151027160543428.jpg

Thomas

Old-N-Feeble
4-Dec-2015, 12:13
Perhaps the red D indicates it's REaDy to make great photos. :D

tgtaylor
4-Dec-2015, 12:22
My first thought was that it meant Defected. But it's highly unlikely that Nikon would sell lens that it branded as defected. What about "demo?"

Thomas

vinny
4-Dec-2015, 12:37
here's a thread on the red letter "R"
pirate lens? http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?116934-Nikkor-150mm-SW-f8-Engraved-with-red-letter-quot-R-quot/page2

tgtaylor
4-Dec-2015, 14:25
I emailed the question to Nikon.

Thomas

PS: The lens is absolutely mint. Not even a spec of dust in the optics, no wear on the barrel from removal of the caps as you would expect from a used lens, and the lens board has no indication that it has been on a camera (not even the slightest wear on the raised section of the board designed to grasp the sliding lock down.

tgtaylor
4-Dec-2015, 15:32
After closer inspection there are two very faint straight lines on the bottom and top of the lensboard, a tad more pronounced on the bottom, where the board was mounted on a camera. But they are so slight that the lens couldn't have been mounted on a camera more than a couple of times if indeed it was ever mounted. Again, there is zero dust in the optics. I emailed the seller in Japan if he know what the red "D" meant.

I bought this to replace the 300-M lens for the 8x10's. I'll still use the M for 4x5 packing.

Thomas

ic-racer
4-Dec-2015, 16:03
This e-bay seller thinks the red "D" means telephoto...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-W-180mm-f-5-6-D-Lens-4074-/161908164117?hash=item25b27a8615:g:4FgAAOSwo6lWOV~o

Alex_5228
4-Dec-2015, 17:23
Like tgtaylor i would be inclined to think that the D is probably for Demo, or a means for nikon to identify a certain lens internally within the company that might have been out on loan or test.

tgtaylor
4-Dec-2015, 19:38
This e-bay seller thinks the red "D" means telephoto...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-W-180mm-f-5-6-D-Lens-4074-/161908164117?hash=item25b27a8615:g:4FgAAOSwo6lWOV~o

I logged on to that listing but couldn't find that assertion. The Nikon website http://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/article/gg1e57vo/how-to-read-your-nikkor-lens-barrel.html has this to say about "D" appearing on the barrel:

On older NIKKORS you may see the letter D, and that means distance information is factored into the metering process. These days all NIKKORS have distance encoders, so you won't see D on new NIKKOR lenses—only G.

But that doesn't appear to apply to the LF lens. Since the red "D" does appear on Nikkor lens available for sale from Japan, could it possibly mean for the Domestic (i.e., Japanese) market or 'Demo as I and Alex previously thought?

Thomas

Jac@stafford.net
4-Dec-2015, 20:02
I logged on to that listing but couldn't find that assertion. [... snip good stuff ...]

The telephoto reference is in the small type that is inserted by eBay at the permission of the seller. It also says it is for a Nikon F. :) oops on the seller.

tgtaylor
4-Dec-2015, 20:10
The seller just replied:

※I do not know meaning of "D" of the red. I'm sorry.

I'm still awaiting the reply from Nikon USA.

Thomas

Oren Grad
5-Dec-2015, 18:40
The Nikon website http://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/article/gg1e57vo/how-to-read-your-nikkor-lens-barrel.html has this to say about "D" appearing on the barrel:

On older NIKKORS you may see the letter D, and that means distance information is factored into the metering process. These days all NIKKORS have distance encoders, so you won't see D on new NIKKOR lenses—only G.

But that doesn't appear to apply to the LF lens.

It doesn't - it's about the second generation of their autofocus lenses for 35mm SLR, the so-called AF-D series.

Old-N-Feeble
5-Dec-2015, 19:05
Ot?

tgtaylor
9-Dec-2015, 17:31
I received a reply from Nikon requesting a photo of the lens which I sent. I also asked about the red "R."

Thomas

tgtaylor
16-Dec-2015, 20:04
Received an email from Nikon USA this morning telling me that they have forwarded the question the Nikkor LF lens guru's in Japan and to "stay tuned."

In other news, I received today a Pelican 1550 case to stow and transport all my 8x10 lens together in one case. I got the dividers instead on the foam which 8x10 lens, unlike 135 and 4x5 lens, quickly destroy. Geez, I can't believe that I have 8 lens for 8x10! When first got into LF I was convinced that all you need were 3 lens: 150mm, 90mm, and 300mm - and that's what I got and in that order. While I still consider 8 lens to be excessive, its better than spending your money on tobacco or drugs and I do use them all.

Thomas

Taija71A
17-Dec-2015, 16:38
Like tgtaylor i would be inclined to think that the D is probably for Demo, or a means for nikon to identify a certain lens internally within the company that might have been out on loan or test.

+1. Agreed in full.

Demonstrator or Distributor Sample?

Bob Salomon
17-Dec-2015, 17:07
Received an email from Nikon USA this morning telling me that they have forwarded the question the Nikkor LF lens guru's in Japan and to "stay tuned."

In other news, I received today a Pelican 1550 case to stow and transport all my 8x10 lens together in one case. I got the dividers instead on the foam which 8x10 lens, unlike 135 and 4x5 lens, quickly destroy. Geez, I can't believe that I have 8 lens for 8x10! When first got into LF I was convinced that all you need were 3 lens: 150mm, 90mm, and 300mm - and that's what I got and in that order. While I still consider 8 lens to be excessive, its better than spending your money on tobacco or drugs and I do use them all.

Thomas

You use both tobacco and drugs?

Lachlan 717
17-Dec-2015, 18:29
Maybe it's like on the D Claron, where the D is for "Documentation" (i.e. Macro), or perhaps some sort of Defence spec?

tgtaylor
17-Dec-2015, 19:22
Maybe it's like on the D Claron, where the D is for "Documentation" (i.e. Macro), or perhaps some sort of Defence spec?

The Nikkor-W's are not Macro lens and I don't know about any "Defence spec." I haven't shot any negatives with it yet but did have it on the MII and it's very sharp and can handle all the rise that the MII can deliver. I have yet to try it on the 810G which is capable of much greater rise.

Thomas

tgtaylor
5-Jan-2016, 14:40
Here's Nikon's reply:

Thank you for contacting Nikon Customer Support.

Please do not reply to this email, as we will not receive your response.

If you need to update your Question with additional information, please click the link below.

Click here to update your Question.
Subject
Red "D" Designation on Nikkor Lens Barrell

Response (01/05/2016 10:46 AM)
Hello Mr. Taylor,

Thank you for your patience. I received a response from Japan concerning the marking on the lens. A Red "R" referred to the use of the lens for "Reproduction" or duplication. "D" was for the same purpose. It could be used for 'Duplication'. That is all the information we have to offer on that subject.

So now you know.

Thomas

Jim C.
5-Jan-2016, 16:57
The answer that doesn't quite answer.

:)

One could assume that marked lenses could have been be for repro work or they were final prototype models (?).

tgtaylor
5-Jan-2016, 18:19
The final prototype sounds plausible. Maybe they made a quick run of the final prototypes to test them out before committing to full production. I wish they would have supplied a more detailed explanation.

Thomas

tgtaylor
7-Jan-2016, 16:49
You use both tobacco and drugs?

I started smoking cigarettes when I was 11 years old by sneaking Pall Malls from my mothers purse when she wasn't looking and then switched to Marlboro's. I quit smoking when I was 15 or 16 only to return to smoking when I was in my 30's and for two or three years smoked Kools. Back then and since I was 15, a 4 mile run was the daily regimen: I would run the first two (10'24") and then jog the last two and then cough for ten minutes. I slowly came to thee conclusion that it was either quit smoking or die. I quit smoking.

Never did drugs.

Thomas

Bob Salomon
7-Jan-2016, 17:00
Here's Nikon's reply:

Thank you for contacting Nikon Customer Support.

Please do not reply to this email, as we will not receive your response.

If you need to update your Question with additional information, please click the link below.

Click here to update your Question.
Subject
Red "D" Designation on Nikkor Lens Barrell

Response (01/05/2016 10:46 AM)
Hello Mr. Taylor,

Thank you for your patience. I received a response from Japan concerning the marking on the lens. A Red "R" referred to the use of the lens for "Reproduction" or duplication. "D" was for the same purpose. It could be used for 'Duplication'. That is all the information we have to offer on that subject.

So now you know.

Thomas

It sounds like they did the same thing Rodenstock did. First there was the 75mm Apo Rodagon R and now there is the 75mm Apo Rodagon D. R stood for Repro. D stands for Duplicating. Why did they switch from R to D? They never said.

tgtaylor
7-Jan-2016, 17:16
Except that the Nikkor-W never was never intended to be a Repro or Duplicating lens...

Thomas

filmfixing
20-Feb-2021, 09:31
Except that the Nikkor-W never was never intended to be a Repro or Duplicating lens...

Thomas

Hi Thomas did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Stefano

filmfixing
20-Feb-2021, 09:34

Thomas

I just purchased q SW 90mm 4.5 with the same red D and I don't think it was ever used as a Duplicating lens.

Would love to know more about this "D" designation.

Stefano

Vaughn
20-Feb-2021, 10:39
Could the element spacing be optimized for higher magnification?

neil poulsen
20-Feb-2021, 10:42
It sounds like they did the same thing Rodenstock did. First there was the 75mm Apo Rodagon R and now there is the 75mm Apo Rodagon D. R stood for Repro. D stands for Duplicating. Why did they switch from R to D? They never said.

That's what I was wondering. (Duplication.) At one point, I had a Rodenstock lens with a "D" in parens. Can't find it now; may have sold it. But, it doesn't seem like this would apply to a 300mm lens. But maybe? Rodenstock made a 300mm (Apo-Rodagon) process lens that was optimized for 3:1 to 1:3 with a target of 1:1.

Nikon also used letters to refer to the number of elements. For example, a Nikkor-Q, Nikkor-O, Nikkor-P, and Nikkor-M. I even ran across a Nikkor-C lens, which was a mirror lens.

As for "R" to "D", weren't inter negatives referred to as "dup's"? So, D for dup?

filmfixing
20-Feb-2021, 12:30

This is the Lens, hoping I can use it for everyday photography.

Stefano

tgtaylor
20-Feb-2021, 13:48
Hi Thomas did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Stefano

The last I heard from Nikon was what I posted earlier: Thank you for your patience. I received a response from Japan concerning the marking on the lens. A Red "R" referred to the use of the lens for "Reproduction" or duplication. "D" was for the same purpose. It could be used for 'Duplication'. That is all the information we have to offer on that subject. I imagine that the "R" and the "D" was meant to imply that the lens was a marco type and could be used for close-up photography but they discontinued that designation with these lenses. I have the 120mm that you have but with a serial number 700xxx which would seem to imply that it was manufactured at a later date than yours (I bought mine new from B&H around 2008). But a "D" or "R" notwithstanding these are extremely sharp lenses and can be used in close quarters to the subject. Both of my last 2 kallitypes were taken with the 300 SW.

Thomas

filmfixing
20-Feb-2021, 14:12
Thanks Thomas for your reply.

Do you think I'll be able to use this lens for landscapes?

Thanks again,
Stefano

tgtaylor
20-Feb-2021, 14:22
Absolutely!

Greg
20-Feb-2021, 17:23
Around 40 years ago we ordered two view camera lenses which were to be used exclusively for close-up photography. The spacing of the front and rear elements were changed by the manufacture and the manufacturer included a letter after the serial number. I do remember that this "simple" modification was jaw droppingly expensive. Unfortunately for the life of me, the name of the manufacturer and the letter added have both completely slipped from my mind/brain. I want to say Nikon or Leitz, but am not positive that it was actually either of the two. So wish I had kept my notes from back then.

Post brings to mind Jeff Kay from Lens & Repro showing me a "Gold" dot Dagor and pointing out to me that the gold dot was added by someone other than the manufacturer.

filmfixing
21-Feb-2021, 09:24
lenses which were to be used exclusively for close-up photography. The spacing of the front and rear elements were changed by the manufacture and the manufacturer included a letter after the serial number.

That might be the case for this lens I just purchased, but I'm really hoping not.
I would love to use this lens for general photography near and far and would be upset if my shots at infinity were compromised.
I wish I knew more before I purchased it LOL!

Nothing on the Box is different then other SW 90mm f4.5 boxes to indicate something significant so I'm hoping its a small difference.

Also I'm not sure why a 90mm lens would be used for duplication work except for maybe being used in conjunction with the Linhof Reprocord System? and when using a medium format negative?

Stefano

Greg
21-Feb-2021, 11:58
That might be the case for this lens I just purchased, but I'm really hoping not.
I would love to use this lens for general photography near and far and would be upset if my shots at infinity were compromised.

Per the specs in my Nikkor brochure, front rim to the back rim of the 300mm Nikkor-W should measure 94.5mm.

On my 360mm Nikkor-W front to rear measurement is +.025mm from published factory spec of 107.5mm. Checked my 360mm lens and it has no shims to account for the +.O25mm. My problem is that my digital calipers won't open up far enough to get a precise measurement so I had to use a plastic ruler and the accuracy of the ruler could very easily account for that +.025mm.

Robert Opheim
21-Feb-2021, 14:43
I have a Nikkor-W 240mm lens - serial number 777--- that is earlier (I assume) than your 78---- serial number lens. My lens does not have the "D" or "R" letter designation. It could be as mentioned above - a copy lens - perhaps more flat field? Or optimised for a closer focus range? Your shutter looks exactly like my lens except for the added letter - so my assumption is that your lens is in it's original factory shutter. I bought my 240mm used from a camera store - so I don't know it's history.

It should be sharp and have quite a lot of coverage - much more than a Nikor 300mm M lens. Try it out and see where it takes you.